Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    It's the bikini wax that's more expensive, $35, the brows are only $25 and I do those only a few times a year.

(Aveda is clean and hypoallergenic. That counts too.)
    Ah… $60 for a brow and bikini wax is understandable and makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    You're not having enough sex. I've been told that by three aestheticians and a dermatologist.
    If that's the case, then I now know waayyyyy more about my sister's activities in the boudoir, seeing as how she has to have her brows weeded every 2-3 weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Jesus, if that were true, I'd be drawing my eyebrows on with a pencil.
    I right there with ya, pal
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    I have a question about shampoo. I"ve noticed for the past several years that when I first apply shampoo to my hair it doesn't form a good lather, even if I thoroughly wet my hair beforehand. I have to rinse it then apply shampoo a second time in order to get a lot of lather. Does anyone know what could account for this? Would my hair and scalp still get clean if I only applied shampoo once?

vCash
    ^ good quality salon shampoos do not make a lot of lather. Cheap, supermarket brands do because the public thinks they need a lot of suds to get their hair clean.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I use Wen. It doesn't lather at all.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I have a question about shampoo. I"ve noticed for the past several years that when I first apply shampoo to my hair it doesn't form a good lather, even if I thoroughly wet my hair beforehand. I have to rinse it then apply shampoo a second time in order to get a lot of lather. Does anyone know what could account for this? Would my hair and scalp still get clean if I only applied shampoo once?
    Lather is not necessary to clean. Your hair will get clean with today's shampoos even if it doesn't lather at all. An excessive amount of lather means the shampoo is actually starting to strip the hair of oils at that point.

Unfortunately, my antifungal shampoo routine kind of requires that I strip my hair. So I wash once with a regular shampoo (just a little dollop) then follow up with a small dollop of the prescription antifungal. I think this tiny bottle was only supposed to last me one month, but I've used it for 3.

I used to really pack on the shampoo since it's what my mom did when I was little. "Your hair's really thick!" But now I've learned it's not necessary, even for thick hair.

Maybe it's an Asian thing. We also used to actually use an entire capful of laundry detergent too, and I've learned I can get away with 10x less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Sulfates are the lathering agents in shampoos--the chemically derived natural oil stripping ingredient that everyone is so wary of these days. Most of the drugstore shampoos use sodium lauryl sulfate, an alcohol-derived surfactant found in many regular cleaning products--and as such, it seriously dries out your hair. It can also cause color damage or damage to chemical treatments you've had done, like the keratin smoothing treatment. (Some companies are looking for other smoothing options other than keratin because they use animal proteins in the treatment, but thats another story.)
    As a result, many people want to go sulfate-free (especially curly haired folks whose hair is naturally dry already) or at least find shampoos that contain sulfates that are derived from less harmful sources. I know some use a sulfate derived from the babassu nut, which still allows the shampoo to lather but doesn't strip everything out of your hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Maybe it's an Asian thing. We also used to actually use an entire capful of laundry detergent too, and I've learned I can get away with 10x less.
    Really?! omg, that would save me a bunch of $$. Thanks, I'm going to try this today on my mountain of laundry! BTW, I'm Asian too, maybe that's why Mom always told me to use a capful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Really?! omg, that would save me a bunch of $$. Thanks, I'm going to try this today on my mountain of laundry! BTW, I'm Asian too, maybe that's why Mom always told me to use a capful.
    My sister-in-law was going on and on recently about an ex-boyfriend of hers who used less than a whole cap of laundry detergent for each load and how disgusting and unclean he was....and I was thinking, wow, then so are your brother and I, because I never use that much. (And she is not Asian!)

Make-up question...I replaced my Nars blush with a good color rec'ed here from ELF.

Now I need lipstick. Any recs for a lipstick that lasts, isn't drying and has good colors for reasonable prices?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Maybe it's also because I use Tide concentrated now. I only pour in enough in the cap where it covers the bottom (yes, the bottom of the cap, that little), then put that into the washer. That will do it, and I always do a full load in cold water WITH reusable cloth pantiliners.

My bf (who is not Asian) did laundry using that concentrated Tide and I was wondering why in the world did the comforter still smell so strongly of Tide and he had used a entire capful. Another Asian friend suggested I do another rinse cycle and I was like, "Or I could just use my Tide the way it was meant to be used - with as little as possible!" Why waste even more stuff when you waste?

vCash
    I snuck over to Amherst, New York, briefly last week to check out Target and Ulta, but Ulta was out of EVERYTHING that I wanted to buy.
    I did some decent damage at Target, however. I didn't realize they carried so much ELF.

My wedding was this past weekend, and my makeup turned out wildly well! Even if I forgot the lipstick(s) I planned to wear at home. I was worried it was a bit dark in person, but it's come out really, really well in the photos my new mother-in-law has sent me. I'm so glad I didn't get a professional to do it. I can't afford the high-end professional that would hopefully be better than every makeup artist I've tried already, and it was actually a really great way to stay calm and collect my thoughts pre-wedding. Everyone else was frazzled but me. And I was the first one ready of my mother, three bridesmaids and a smattering of friends. That doesn't happen to me, ever.
    Last edited by Andora; 10-18-2011 at 05:55 PM.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I snuck over to Amherst, New York, briefly last week to check out Target and Ulta, but Ulta was out of EVERYTHING that I wanted to buy.
    I did some decent damage at Target, howeer. I didn't realize they carried so much ELF.
    OMG, you should've come this weekend! We're hosting North Atlantic regionals - skating and makeup!!

The Ulta on the Boulevard gets slammed on the weekend, I've seen many Canadians there (I can tell bc they always get asked if they have an Ulta card, and reply sadly that they can't have one). There's a big Ulta in the southtowns (McKinley Mall) if you go over the Peace Bridge that seems to be much better stocked. That's where I found Revlon Perplex, which never once made an appearance at the other Ulta.

ETA: omg just saw that your wedding was this weekend, obviously more important than skating + makeup. Congrats!!!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I did some decent damage at Target, howeer. I didn't realize they carried so much ELF.

My wedding was this past weekend, and my makeup turned out wildly well! Even if I forgot the lipstick(s) I planned to wear at home. I was worried it was a bit dark in person, but it's come out really, really well in the photos my new mother-in-law has sent me. I'm so glad I didn't get a professional to do it. I can't afford the high-end professional that would hopefully be better than every makeup artist I've tried already, and it was actually a really great way to stay calm and collect my thoughts pre-wedding. Everyone else was frazzled but me. And I was the first one ready of my mother, three bridesmaids and a smattering of friends. That doesn't happen to me, ever.
    Congratulations on your wedding! And about not hiring a high end or any make up artist--neither did Kate Middleton and she turned out just fine.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Congratulations on your wedding! And about not hiring a high end or any make up artist--neither did Kate Middleton and she turned out just fine.
    Nor did I....

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    Nor did I....
    And neither did Habs. So you are in good company, Andora.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    And neither did Habs. So you are in good company, Andora.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Congrats on the wedding, Andora!

Not much makeup news here...I haven't made as much progress on my blog as I'd like to. I guess that's my goal now.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Andora!!!

I have no doubt you were a gorgeous bride!

In other makeup news, I'm on my second sample of Lancome's Visionnaire, and OMG, I love it more than the Genefique Serum!

I've been using it in combination with the Genefique Serum (Visionnaire at night and Genefique in the morning, per Cyn's advice), so I don't know if I would love it as much if I were using it alone. I may try that for awhile and see.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    So....Sephora's Friends and Family sale is coming up soon, and along with some Christmas presents I am thinking of getting a new hair dryer. I've heard those T3 dryers are amazing. I battle a lot of hair frizz, so if this dryer will both help with that and dry my hair faster I could be convinced to drop the cash on it. Then again, I could look for in on eBay too for probably even cheaper. But is it really EVERYTHING people say it is?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Really? I would love a hair dryer that dries faster and leaves less frizz! Has anyone tried them?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Congrats on the wedding, Andora! May you have many years of happiness together.

I haven't tried the T3, but I have tried the Chi hairdryer and it was wonderful. It does make your hair soft with a lot less frizz.

Not exactly makeup....but I want some riding style boots. I tried these and really liked them, except I'm having second thoughts....they were a bit thin and now I'm thinking too distressed? I also saw these and they are cheaper and have overall better reviews. But I like the black color in those, when I was looking for the cognac, and I haven't tried them on in real life....thoughts?
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast