Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Dude, not cool. Worst sales lady ever.
    that sales lady!

I had my makeup done at my cousin's wedding. The makeup artist commented on how long my lashes were. I'm Asian. I have no lashes. She was an incredibly nice lady, though.

I might try putting on false lashes for my wedding. I'm not sure when would be a good time to start practicing, but at least I have plenty of time. I work in a lab, I have tremendously good hand-eye coordination. Hopefully this won't be as difficult as it seems.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by myhoneyhoney View Post
    Thanks, made_in_canada. I'm one of those who can't walk outside without mascara. .
    i dont even want to look at myself w/o mascara, no one else should have to either
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I might try putting on false lashes for my wedding. I'm not sure when would be a good time to start practicing, but at least I have plenty of time. I work in a lab, I have tremendously good hand-eye coordination. Hopefully this won't be as difficult as it seems.

I never thought of that as being great preparation for makeup application but maybe it is. The one time in my life I ever tried false lashes I almost blinded myself trying to get them on.

And, myhoney, don't feel badly. I was home sick the last two days, Saturday I didn't even shower until evening, and I had mascara on, because I can't stand seeing myself without it. I have decent eyelashes but they're pretty pale for a brunette.
    Last edited by PRlady; 07-03-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I never thought of that as being great preparation for makeup application but maybe it is. The one time in my life I ever tried false lashes I almost blinded myself trying to get them on.
    I was able to do surgery on a chick embryo (to insert a tiny bead next to the wing bud) and not impale the heart, I'm pretty sure I can put on false lashes without poking myself in the eye.

However, I have to take my glasses off for the latter so the logistics might be more difficult.
    Last edited by Anita18; 07-03-2012 at 01:36 AM.

vCash
    I have long thick lashes and only use mascara for special occasions. (Don't come after me...I'm likely going to lose the vision under those lashes eventually, so I think I deserve them).

On a different note...

Clearance sale time of year. I got half price nail polish!

OPI "Melon of Troy":

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RGy7FiAt2t...0/IMG_2459.jpg

And "Panda-monium Pink":

http://deathbypolish.files.wordpress...onium-pink.jpg

The melon is on my toes and looks very summery. Haven't tried the pink yet.

I'm proud of myself for only buying two! A lot of the others were close to other colors I have, but that hasn't always stopped me in the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i dont even want to look at myself w/o mascara, no one else should have to either
    When I had my chemo treatments, I handled the hair loss just fine until I lost my lashes and brows. That was devastating to me. I looked like ET and had to draw in some brows (but I never did fake lashes). Too afraid fake lash adhesive would hurt the regrowth of the new lashes.

INTJ
    vCash
    That was one of the only things appearance wise that bothered me during chemo too, KCC. It's amazing how much eyebrows and eyelashes affect how a person looks.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    milani has a limited edition felt tip liquid eyeliner, color play, that holds as well as any eyeliner i have used and it is super muggy here this weekend. it has a very fine tip. i think it was about $7.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Suggestions for summer light coverage concealer and skin product for 20-something with oily skin? She starts the day looking great, but her face gets visibly shiny by mid-day when she's at work. (Or, some other solution?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I went with a friend with very, very sparse lashes to the department store cosmetics counter where she bought a packet of fake lashes and then the makeup person there (who was very good, it seemed) spent 20 minutes giving her a lesson in how to do it. They looked great, and not fakey. (This was a Monday first thing after opening; probably not the thing to do on a weekend.)

vCash
    Just noticed that ebates is offering an 8% cashback on Sephora purchases when you set up a free account and click through their site to Sephora. (Or a huge list of other on-line retailers.) They've reliably sent me cashback bonuses for other online purchases; if you haven't used them and want to try, you can get a free $10 gift card to Target or Barnes & Noble if you click through this link:
    http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrer...r%2FHSvQ%3D%3D

Disclosure: I get a $5 bonus if you do buy something someday after signing up with this referral. But, I send my local food bank my total rebates each year as an additional contribution. Given my Amazon and other on-line purchases, it adds up nicely. They say that for every dollar they can get 4 person-meals worth of food.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Suggestions for summer light coverage concealer and skin product for 20-something with oily skin? She starts the day looking great, but her face gets visibly shiny by mid-day when she's at work. (Or, some other solution?)
    does she want concealer for blemishes or for under the eye?

today i used tarte clean slate eye primer for the first time. $15. i put it on at 7 am. took a nap after dinner. then washed my face. eye shadow still hadnt creased and it didnt even come off, just faded a little after i washed my face. best eye primer i have ever used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Maybelline Mineral Power concealer is great, light but has decent coverage. If she wants something for blemishes, go with a more yellow tint to counteract redness. If it's undereye area, try a pinker hue to brighten it up.

The shininess is difficult to correct with makeup — I've never found a product that controls oiliness all day without either drying out my skin or caking it on. I carry a little packet of blotter papers from Sephora for when I start to look extremely ... reflective.

I've also found that my skin is less likely to become oily when I use pure aloe vera gel instead of moisturizer. I've been doing this for months now and I really like it. It's also cheap as hell: a big bottle of the clear aloe vera gel (don't get the green ones) is $3.50 at Walmart.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I was able to do surgery on a chick embryo (to insert a tiny bead next to the wing bud) and not impale the heart, I'm pretty sure I can put on false lashes without poking myself in the eye.

However, I have to take my glasses off for the latter so the logistics might be more difficult.
    See, that's how I know I can't. I was just in a few basic biology labs and cannot tell you how many wells I'd ripped with a pipette trying to do DNA gel electrophoresis. And the amount of glassware I broke in organic chem lab.

PRLady, have you ever been in a lab, just wondering...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    See, that's how I know I can't. I was just in a few basic biology labs and cannot tell you how many wells I'd ripped with a pipette trying to do DNA gel electrophoresis. :
    i believe you're speaking a foregin language. i don't understand a word of what you just said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    i believe you're speaking a foregin language. i don't understand a word of what you just said.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    False eyelashes are the same as applying liquid eyeiner: It just takes practice. I did, however, have someone help me with them for my own wedding. I wish I wore falsies more often. I have yet to conquer individual ones.

Has anyone tried one of the many BB creams out there? According to http://www.musingsofamuse.com/ most North American releases are just tinted moisturizer. I'm glad, though, because suddenly the market is flooded with affordable, decent TMs! I like Maybelline's so far.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    I can barely understand it myself.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So does anyone know if there is a decent BB Cream in the US? I have an excellent tinted moisturizer; I'd like to try an actual BB cream.

Speaking of shiny faces: I have been told over and over again that I am shiny because I don't moisturize enough. I, after a month of moisturizing with an oil-free moisturizer, am still shiny.

Meh.

vCash
    I have the Origins BB cream. I just think of it as a tinted moisturizer, and the best one I've tried so far. It doesn't cause me to break out, and I don't need to wear foundation over it. Apparently it also has anti-aging benefits, so that's cool.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast