Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

vCash
    Cyn, or any other experts out there, can you use Visionnaire in conjunction with Retinol? I got a Dr Brandt intensive night retinol treatment (2% retinol) - it recommends using it three times a week - would it be ok to use Visionnaire on the other nights?

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I'm 41. I've got a fair complextion - lots of Scots/Irish in my background.I guess I've got normal to oily skin in the summer, and a little drier in the winter. Normally in the winter I do a good moisturizer daily, but with the mild winter we've had, I haven't even done that.

I've got very little sun damage, as my father got diagnosed with skin cancer when I was 10 and I'm paranoid about it. Every freckle gets the once and twice over! I've been told I look about 10 years younger than I am, and I'd like to keep it that way, but those lines are coming in. Other than that, aside from the occassional blemish and undereye circles when I don't get enough sleep, that's it.

Help me, oh knowledgeable one!
    Are you sure you're not me? With the exception of your age (I'm 44), your description of your skin is nearly identical to mine.

You should definitely *not* be using the Absolue line (unless you've either had a total hysterectomy or have gone completely through menopause, and from the description of your skin, that doesn't seem likely).

Your best bet is the Rénergie Lift Volumetry moisturizers. If your main concern right now are the fine lines in the eye area, I would recommend the Rénergie Multiple Action Eye Cream as it's extremely effective at diminishing lines/crow's feet, plus it works to help even out skin tones *and* it works to "lift" the skin in the eye area as gravity starts to affect the skin around the eye at our age (causing the skin on the lid, under the brow, and under the lower lid to start "sagging" or "drooping"). The Rénergie Lift Volumetry Eye Cream is a great standalone moisturizer and does work on "lifting" the skin in the eye area, but it can't compare to the Multiple Action.

My whole face tends to get oily during the spring/summer, so instead of using the Rénergie facial moisturizer, I use the High Resolution 3X Daytime Moisturizer as it's a lot lighter and cuts way down on shine during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by paulac View Post
    Cyn, or any other experts out there, can you use Visionnaire in conjunction with Retinol? I got a Dr Brandt intensive night retinol treatment (2% retinol) - it recommends using it three times a week - would it be ok to use Visionnaire on the other nights?
    Visionnaire is supposed to be noncomedogenic, but I honestly have no idea if it can be used in conjuction with Retinol. Alternating nights between the two products is probably safe, but to be sure, and to be on the safe side, I would check with a Dermatologist before trying it.

If it were me, I would do that first before asking the advice from a Beauty Associate. As Scintillation mentioned upthread, Cosmetic Sales Associates have target goals for sales they are required to meet, and while many are honest and will sacrifice a potentially large sale in the best interest of their client, some can and will be unscrupulous in order to make a sale, consequences be damned.

Hope that helps, y'all!
    Last edited by Cyn; 03-24-2012 at 04:11 AM.

vCash
    Waterproof mascara? I leave for vacation Friday and don't have one yet.... I have short skimpy lashes, a nightmare really. Anyone have a suggestion?

vCash
    I use Maybelline's Waterproof Lash Stilletto-- the volumizing one-- when I play baseball in the summer. It's held up well and looks fab.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    If it were me, I would do that first before asking the advice from a Beauty Associate. As Scintillation mentioned upthread, Cosmetic Sales Associates have target goals for sales they are required to meet, and while many are honest and will sacrifice a potentially large sale in the best interest of their client, some can and will be unscrupulous in order to make a sale, consequences be damned.

Hope that helps, y'all!
    Also wanted to say that you should never underestimate the power of being nice and friendly to your salesperson--they are far more likely to give you free samples and be genuinely invested in helping you out.

vCash
    Thanks for the input Cyn. Now I just have to get some of the multi-action eye. So I've got a small thing of High Resolution Refill 3x and a small Absolue Premium eye creme. Anyone want them? I feel bad just throwing them away or leaving them in my medicine cabinet to go bad. They are both from gift with purchases in the last year. More like the last two.

And buyer beware. Genefique's bottle is glass. My brand new bottle fell out of the medicine cabinet and onto my tile floor. Smashed in to a bajillion pieces. At least it was still during the GWP time, and I got another set....
    "If I wore what Amodio is wearing to the gayest gaybar in gayville they would kick me out for being too gay." - toddlj

vCash
    That sucks about your bottle of Génifique breaking . I'm always super careful with mine as I worry that it might break or spill if it gets knocked over (I usually have to re-dip the dropper three times when I use it, and I always screw it back on in between each time.

If I were in your shoes, I'd hold on to the High Resolution 3X. During the summer, you may find it to be better than the Rénergie when it's super hot outside - I've found that the Rénergie is just too heavy and oily in the summer months, and my foundation feels almost slimy on my face. No matter how often I blot or use powder, my face still looks shiny and feels oily, but when I use the High Res. in its place, that doesn't happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Also wanted to say that you should never underestimate the power of being nice and friendly to your salesperson--they are far more likely to give you free samples and be genuinely invested in helping you out.
    Absolutely .

It also helps a lot to develop a rapport with a specific salesperson/beauty associate. By doing so, they are familiar with your preferences and needs and, as Scintillation stated, will be more likely to give you samples (sometimes more than they usually give customers).

vCash
    Absolutely .

It also helps a lot to develop a rapport with a specific salesperson/beauty associate. By doing so, they are familiar with your preferences and needs and, as Scintillation stated, will be more likely to give you samples (sometimes more than they usually give customers).
    Oh yes. I've occasionally given nice customers every single sample available because I'm so relieved they're responsive, smiling, and not chatting on their f***ing cell phone.
    Sorry, that is a huge pet peeve of mine. Actually, it is a huge pet peeve of every salesperson I know.
    I was walking by MAC today and saw they had some Mineralize powders featured...and now I'm itching to try them out.

vCash
    When I heard that Prescriptives was no longer being sold in stores, I was as they had the most fantastic loose powder I've ever used. Turns out that Prescriptives is still alive and well; turns out it's being sold strictly online now . The amazing powder?

*Magic Liquid Powder

I don't know what sort of sorcery is involved in making this stuff, but it feels like cool water being lightly caressed on your face when applied. At $37.50 for 1.2 ounces, it's no pricier than any of the Lancôme powders, but (at least with my skin), it does by far the best job of setting foundation and getting rid of any shine during the day. The only downside is that over time, it will eventually lose the "magic" hydrating feel to it, but if used every day, there's no risk of that happening.

I also discovered a new fragrance that I absolutely love - Marc Jacob's "Oh Lola"

It's quite different from the types of perfumes I usually wear, and not only did the scent last a good long while, it didn't change or go rancid as they day went on. My birthday is in May, so I'm dropping a hint to my sister and mom (for that or my eternal quest for Chanel No.19) as their tastes in clothes, fragrances, music, books, and jewelry are extremely different from mine.

vCash
    Not long back from a trip to New York, and I fairly hammered the credit card, mainly at Sephora. I got:
    Stila custom color blush in Pink
    Buxom lip polish in Dani
    Sephora angled eyeliner brush
    Murad starter acne kit (I've had an outbreak on my jawline recently, and am hoping this will sort it out)
    Dr Brandt Glow kit (retinol based night & day creams)
    Dr Brandt Laser-a-peel mask
    Phyto hair treatment cream
    Nars primer

and in Mac, eyeshadows Phloof, Shroom, Copperplate, Vex, Shale & Greensmoke, and a 213 brush

Should keep me going for a while!

vCash
    Visionnaire is supposed to be noncomedogenic, but I honestly have no idea if it can be used in conjuction with Retinol. Alternating nights between the two products is probably safe, but to be sure, and to be on the safe side, I would check with a Dermatologist before trying it.
    Ok I've done a bit of research online about this, and the consensus seems to be that you can alternate between visionnaire & retinol. The retinol treatment I'm using recommends three times a week initially, so I'm going to use the visionnaire on the other nights & see how it goes. I'm still using Genefique every morning also.

vCash
    paula, GREAT MAC eyeshadow picks!! I've been eyeing Vex forever.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paulac View Post
    Not long back from a trip to New York, and I fairly hammered the credit card, mainly at Sephora. I got:
    Stila custom color blush in Pink
    Buxom lip polish in Dani
    Sephora angled eyeliner brush
    Murad starter acne kit (I've had an outbreak on my jawline recently, and am hoping this will sort it out)
    Dr Brandt Glow kit (retinol based night & day creams)
    Dr Brandt Laser-a-peel mask
    Phyto hair treatment cream
    Nars primer

and in Mac, eyeshadows Phloof, Shroom, Copperplate, Vex, Shale & Greensmoke, and a 213 brush

Should keep me going for a while!
    OOOOOOH! This sounds great. I have MAC's Copperplate--love it. The rest sounds really good too. Enjoy!

Snark: Too Faced Lash Injection has a different wand. It's kind of shallow with short, widely spaced bristles and I am yet to figure out how to get the most out of it. Any suggestions?

Turns out I picked up the wrong Lash Injection--it's the Pinpoint kind. Need to exchange.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Okay peeps, I have my beauty blog up and running. I will updating posts frequently. I have two posts up already and I'll be updating the site with widgets, plugins and other content frequently.

The name is Getting Pretty Beauty Blog. http://getting-pretty.com

This is the reason why I created the blog:

What’s It All About… Getting-Pretty.com

Hello and welcome to my beauty blog, Getting Pretty Beauty Blog. I am a makeup enthusiast and I started this blog because I was unable to find or get detailed information about products that would benefit my skin type and skin tone. There are lots of beauty blogs on the web, yet I had a hard time finding product reviews and suggestions about products that cater to dry and/or normal skin. Also, I had trouble finding products suggestions or reviews for my skin tone for some of my favorite brands. I felt I couldn’t be the only one with these frustrations so I created this blog.
    Just to let you know I'll be reviewing products and brands, showing swatches of products, showcasing new products/collections, a look book with celebrity looks from the present and vintage celebrity looks, and listing my favorite products.

I would like to start a section or critique athletes skincare and beauty regime; the products they use. I would start with figure skaters this fall.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    That"s fantastic, Topaz! Thanks for sharing this- I look forward to exploring it!
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I also discovered a new fragrance that I absolutely love - Marc Jacob's "Oh Lola"

It's quite different from the types of perfumes I usually wear, and not only did the scent last a good long while, it didn't change or go rancid as they day went on. My birthday is in May, so I'm dropping a hint to my sister and mom (for that or my eternal quest for Chanel No.19) as their tastes in clothes, fragrances, music, books, and jewelry are extremely different from mine.
    That's what I use. It's great.

I also really want to buy Prada Candy.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have a sample of Prada Candy. I like it every once in a while but I have my eye Jo Malone's Blue Agava and Cacao right now. A really unique scent.

But if you like Candy, you may like Jo Malone's Bluebell. Very candy-like and sugary.

topaz, thanks for sharing your blog. Look forward to reading.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    @ Cyn---I love Lola and Daisy both by Marc Jacobs. I have seen gift sets of both at TJ Maxx and Marshalls in the last couple of weeks for $49.99. Lola has been there consistently over the past few months.

Mother's Day is coming and that is the best time to get coveted gift sets in the department stores (and of course, Christmas). Let us know if your sister takes the hint.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Topaz, your blog looks great. Can't wait to check it out more when I have some time. The layout is really cute!

Thanks for the rec, IA. I'm not normally a sweet smell person - I HATE candles that smell like food, for example - but I like Candy. I'm on a perfume kick, though. I was playing at Sephora today and am in love with Love, Chloe and Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb

I have to throw in a rec for Tarte's Lipsurgence Lip Tint. I have extremely sensitive lips that chap at the thought of dry air and I can't stand the way most lipsticks feel on my lips. But this one is sooo full of moisture and feels great. Plus, it's organic, vegan, no sulfates, parabens, bla bla bla....

I also got a bunch of Nail Polish recently, but what else is new. OPI Pink Friday & Super Bass Shatter from the Nikki Minaj Collection, Kiss me on my Tulips, Did You 'Ear about Van Gogh and I've got a Herring Problem from the Holland collection and a pretty L'Oreal color.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast