Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    $60.00 for an eyebrow waxing?!

The gal I go to charges $12.00, and she does a super job - I also usually tweeze a lot of the hairs that start to grow back before they ruin the shape, so I'm able to skip a couple of months between waxings.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Yeah, that seems ridiculously high for a wax! I pay $15 for brows and upper lip.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    $60 for waxing?? Wow. Don't they usually have someone who charges less? I went to a girl for awhile that charged $25 for brow waxing, and she did a really good job.
    Also--ask if anyone is training in at the salon. That's how I got the $10 color job, and my hair looks pretty damn good. (She also threw in the new botanical therapy treatment service under the radar so my hair is unbelievably soft.) Sometimes stylists need "models" to try new treatments, and they'll charge waaaaay less if you volunteer.
    Oh noooooooooo. I go all the way to Bethesda from downtown because Sherrie does brows and bikinis with the least pain possible. And I am the world's biggest chicken about pain. Also we've been entertaining each other with our lovelives for three or four years now and I'm not starting over with anyone else.

It's the bikini wax that's more expensive, $35, the brows are only $25 and I do those only a few times a year.

(Aveda is clean and hypoallergenic. That counts too.)
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my eyebrows havent grown in years
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Oh noooooooooo. I go all the way to Bethesda from downtown because Sherrie does brows and bikinis with the least pain possible. And I am the world's biggest chicken about pain. Also we've been entertaining each other with our lovelives for three or four years now and I'm not starting over with anyone else.

It's the bikini wax that's more expensive, $35, the brows are only $25 and I do those only a few times a year.

(Aveda is clean and hypoallergenic. That counts too.)
    Well alright, I can understand that. I went to one hairstylist for years because I enjoyed talking to him so much, and he cut my hair so well. But once he got to $85 a cut I couldn't justify going to him anymore.
    Plus the last time I saw him he promised me that since I was such a loyal client he'd give me a card that gave me 50% off his haircuts. Then I took it to the register and the lady snottily informed me that the card only worked Mon-Thurs, 9 am-3 pm. It was a Friday. I was so pissed I couldn't say anything, and I never went back.
    And I know Aveda is clean and hypoallergenic.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my eyebrows havent grown in years
    You're not having enough sex. I've been told that by three aestheticians and a dermatologist.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    You're not having enough sex. I've been told that by three aestheticians and a dermatologist.
    im happy with my eyebrows
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Jesus, if that were true, I'd be drawing my eyebrows on with a pencil.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    My waxing lady charged $15 for brows and $5 for upper lip I wish I could afford to go back because she did a great job. I was looking at old photos and was struck by how nice my brows looked, it was obvious I'd just had them waxed. Her services were one of my recession casualties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Well alright, I can understand that. I went to one hairstylist for years because I enjoyed talking to him so much, and he cut my hair so well. But once he got to $85 a cut I couldn't justify going to him anymore.
    I once went back to a meh hairstylist because he was really hot. I considered it entertainment value while my hair was being cut. But I only went back the one time. No hotness is worth a shoddy $50 haircut.

Speaking of haircuts, I may have just gotten one my all-time best ones today, and an amazing set of highlights. I had an appointment booked with a lovely, lovely girl who did a great semi-permanent on me to even out my hair earlier this year. However, this other guy has a walking catalogue in a new friend of mine. I played back catcher this year, and every time she came up to bat I'd think, "Those are the best highlights I have EVER seen." After meeting another client of his last weekend, I decided I'd go somewhere that the results spoke for themselves. Decent price, too! Hair is ready for the wedding!

And then speaking of wedding makeup, the gel liner I'd bought not long, but apparently long enough ago has changed consistency and just kinda sucks now. It's too bad, I loved the Buxom Lashliner. After a lot of research and cashing in Shoppers points, I picked up Stila's liquid liner. Oh, wow. I haven't been able to wear eyeliner without primer for YEARS, but I can with this!
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    My waxing lady charged $15 for brows and $5 for upper lip I wish I could afford to go back because she did a great job. I was looking at old photos and was struck by how nice my brows looked, it was obvious I'd just had them waxed. Her services were one of my recession casualties.
    My eyebrows looked so nice at my wedding. It cost $25 and that was almost 10 years ago--welcome to San Francisco.

So wait, if I stop having sex, my eyebrows won't grow in????

Nah...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i come from a long line of women with sparse eyebrows. that may explain a lot.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That saves a lot of
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i come from a long line of women with sparse eyebrows. that may explain a lot.
    I'm Chinese, sparse eyebrows are pretty much the default.

vCash
    I have sparse eyebrows too though I still get strays. I just pluck them with my $2 tweezer.

vCash
    I recently switched from waxing to threading. I get it done at a kiosk at the mall. She only charges $10.00, and she does a fabulous job. My eyebrows have never looked better, but I sure wish it didn't sting so much! It's worth it, though...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I have thick, coarse-haired eyebrows that your standard $8 tweezer can't handle. I had to get the Anastasia tweezer ($30) which was AMAZING and then I freaking lost it. I still haven't forgiven myself, and I'm still not willing to spend another $30 on a replacement. It pains me to this day.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I used to have thick eyebrows, in the days when I tweezed them myself. Now they're thinning especially towards the ends.

OTOH, every time I go to this pricey salon in my old neighborhood I look around and realize I have more hair on my head than any other lady my age. It convulses me that the hair I hated, straightened, tried to thin, for the first 40 or so years of my life is now the feature that is best withstanding aging.

And my colorist whom I will someday lose to New York combed the color through this time, got rid of the overly light ends from summer sun and now I am a warm brown autumn with coppery highlights that are natural, not applied. I am happy.

vCash
    I have a great pair of tweezers that I bought off of QVC that are made in Switzerland (can't remember the brand). I even got my brother hooked on them and he bought himself a pair. I get an occasional eyebrow wax to keep the shape and I just pluck in between. I may get them waxed about five times a year, and it's usually when I've come back from a vacation because I tend to not upkeep them when I'm on vacation. I go to a nail salon that only charges $8 for an eyebrow wax.
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I over-plucked my eyebrows a few years ago and they never really grew back...I have to fill them in with pencil, and it's just the outer edges. I've considered using a product to grow them back, but I don't really care that much. I found a pencil that perfect matches the color of my eyebrows.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast