Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I just take issue with the idea that these are "modern" families when two of the three couples fall into very traditional gender roles. Claire does not have her own income and is a stay-at-home mom (a very difficult job, no doubt, but very in-line with your standard sitcom roles for women going back 60 years.) Most "modern" families these days (especially one with three kids) can not sustain the kind of lifestyle portrayed on that show on a single income. And then there's Gloria, the gorgeous young trophy wife with no job.
    I have to agree. Although it's unrealistic for 3 families to be "fully representative" of the wider society, it does seem a little odd. Claire, in particular, since a. her kids are older and b. she's so über-organized and A-type, she's just the kind of "do everything" mom you'd expect to be holding down a full-time job and running the house. (Lots of comedic potential there too.) When there was an episode last season where Phil was having a bit of slump, I thought they might decide to give Claire a job ... but I suppose that could still happen.

But then, I'm the one who always grumbled about the fact that in every single married couple on Star Trek TNG and DS9, the woman took the man's last name.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Um, this isn't about their jobs. How many episodes have featured Phil or Mitch at their jobs? Maybe 2? It's not about the kid's schools or their friends except for the occasional appearance of Dillon who is just there so Clarie can hyperventilate. It's a 30 minute vingette of the characters interacting with each other. And it's funny. Who cares if Claire has to shelp out to the Office every day. Watch The Office if that's what you want to see. I don't care that Gloria is a trophy wife if she talks about the Baby Chesus.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Um, this isn't about their jobs. How many episodes have featured Phil or Mitch at their jobs? Maybe 2? It's not about the kid's schools or their friends except for the occasional appearance of Dillon who is just there so Clarie can hyperventilate. It's a 30 minute vingette of the characters interacting with each other. And it's funny. Who cares if Claire has to shelp out to the Office every day. Watch The Office if that's what you want to see. I don't care that Gloria is a trophy wife if she talks about the Baby Chesus.
    Agreed. That's why it doesn't really bother me. My level of objection rose to about "meh, they're not really that modern but whatever, the show is still funny as hell."

vCash
    I fell in love with new Lilly when Mitchell said that she had been saying things like, "I hate the baby," and "I want the baby dead." That was a real LOL moment to me and made me think of my daughter's reaction to her baby brother at about the same age.

( Random... Is it just me or does this dog run faster on a mac than on a pc?)

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    That French Bulldog is adorable and I was LMAO at the look on it's face when Gloria was trying to get it to eat Jay's shoes.

Snorkles!

I'm crying here.
    Last edited by rfisher; 09-29-2011 at 02:27 AM.

vCash
    That may--or may not, I admit nothing--might have been me after I allegedly tried the maple syrup diet.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Best line of the show for me tonight was when Gloria told what the pecking order was in HER country: "the wife; the mistress and the dog ... the DOG is always on the bottom." You gotta love Gloria.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Lots of LOLs in this week's episode. Mitchell saying to Luke "I have a bag of junk food" and Luke's "Go on ... " response, I don't know why I found that so funny but I did. The Frenchie in the shower with Jay. (Oh, and anyone else insanely jealous of that bathroom?) Mitch wading out to sea yelling "Snorkels, Snorkels!" Claire being handcuffed by the parking police. Hayley's line "Why does everything I touch turn to detention?" The reappearance of Cam's bike shorts (pixelated, again ).

But my favourite part about this ep. was, again, Phil & Luke's relationship.

vCash
    My fav line was when Cam said, "Away from me temptress...and I never thought I'd say that to you in a negative way."

vCash
    Speaking of the French Bulldog, and sorry, a little OT, do they make good pets, with people, other pets, and kids?

vCash
    OMG I am laughing my ass off at the screaming match Gloria, Cam and the little girl just had. That is hilarious. Cam thinking that this was his perfect role, when he was screaming for the dog, was soooo funny.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    And then the adoption lady comes to the door.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Another brilliant episode! I only just discovered this show like a month ago, and I can`t get over how brilliant it is!!! The crime scene line, the jewish neighbour line, STELLLAAAAA, the offensive line line, just hillarious!

vCash
    I was x a million at the video, but the scene directly after when Mitch threw cereal all over the floor and made Lilly a "princess hat" had me crying. So what if I just knew the adoption agency person would show up when the condo was at its messiest; it was still so freaking hilarious.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Another brilliant episode! I only just discovered this show like a month ago, and I can`t get over how brilliant it is!!! The crime scene line, the jewish neighbour line, STELLLAAAAA, the offensive line line, just hillarious!
    You've gotta go back and watch the prior seasons. It is just hilarious.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    OMG I am laughing my ass off at the screaming match Gloria, Cam and the little girl just had.
    I loved this, and the look on Gloria's face just as soon as she let the dog out and realized the gate was open.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Another brilliant episode! I only just discovered this show like a month ago, and I can`t get over how brilliant it is!!!
    Yes, you need to catch up on the first two seasons. You'll realize that Clive is Phil's recurring alter-ego, which was part of what made the video so funny.

vCash
    Sorry but that Christmas epusode was really redundant and lame.

They paired everyone up in unusual combos, just like the season premiere. Nothing new.

Gloria mispronounces words and is hard to understand. It's hysterical from time to time but not 6 times every episode. Luke =look....how long did that take to think up, 30 seconds?

We get an over-reaction to a supposed-but-not-really homophobic remark, again. It's not really funny, and as a gay male, its kind of embarrassing to watch. If it was actually funny, it would be fine, but its just cringe-worthy.

And Cam needing Jay's approval...isn't that Phil's department? Oh, it still was. Not like we see that every week.

And Luke, who is always hysterical, had to convince Manny he's getting abducted in Mexico? Uh, okay. And butterball was contrived too.

Sorry to be such a bitch...I'm usually never this picky or anal but this episode really annoyed me. Happy Endings, OTOH, literally has me laughing out loud each week!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This was a weak episode, I admit. I did like when the oldest girl was going to flirt with the guy to get the toy but instead had to flirt with the lesbian employee. That got an LOL from me.

I watched Happy Endings and I laugh but its almost too over the top for me. I prefer my comedy to be a little more realistic.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This was a weak episode, I admit. I did like when the oldest girl was going to flirt with the guy to get the toy but instead had to flirt with the lesbian employee. That got an LOL from me.

I watched Happy Endings and I laugh but its almost too over the top for me. I prefer my comedy to be a little more realistic.
    Gyrating Santa suits, indoor beach parties, and 'cans' aren't realistic?

I usually love MF, this was just really stale to me. I did laugh at the lesbian thing at Target...although that segment screamed THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR TARGET!!!!! Gloria's "NEVER look back" after running over the tree was funny, too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast