Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Oh my, reading the glowing posts here, maybe I was unaware that I was in a bad mood last night. While there were a few random laughs to be had here and there, I thought both episodes were very weak ... a rickety start to S3.

Are the writers out of material already? Every character seems to have ONE thing they're trying to work through ... Claire is a bossy know-it-all, Phyllis wants Jay's acceptance, Redhead worries he's not "real man" enough, Cam coddles his daughter and likes glittery things, Haley and Alex are opposites, Gloria is Latina. By gosh it's a formula that works, so why branch out?

Like most sitcom "field trip" episodes, the dude ranch episode suffered from timing and pacing issues, and every scene/story was of the been-done-a-thousand-times type. I did like all the scenes with Dillon, though. Hope to see this character back soon ... newly toughened up from a few weeks as "ranch hand". The 2nd episode was worse ... really nothing funny in it, except for Jay fretting over Manny perhaps wearing the stolen locket. And I hate shows that rely on toddlers reading their lines like little robots ... leave the Full House retreading to Full House reruns.

YMMV, and obviously did.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    You were just grumpy. The absolute need to be *right* was spot on. With some of us anyway.

I don't have any issues with Lily's age as she won't be in the majority of episodes. This was setting up the adoption issues which are going to be a significant storyline this season. Not the kid per se, but the gay adoption of a US kid, Mitch's work habits and Cam's need to impress the potential mother.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    What does everyone think of new Lily? I thought she was pretty good. I'm okay with it.
    She won me over with "kill new baby".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    I want it printed on t-shirts.

"MY DADDY!!!" *smack*

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I thought the Dude Ranch episode was funny, the 2nd one was OK but I didn't find myself LOLing nearly as much. I thought the creepy cowboy host was the funniest part, too bad he is just a one time guest. I have seen him before in other things but can't remember specifically where.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I want it printed on t-shirts.

"MY DADDY!!!" *smack*
    I'll be your first customer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I thought the creepy cowboy host was the funniest part, too bad he is just a one time guest. I have seen him before in other things but can't remember specifically where.
    I thought he looked familiar, too, so I had to look him up in the credits. His name is Tim Blake Nelson and here are his credits from IMDB. Leaves of Grass is the movie that must have left a memory of his face in my mind (I saw it in April at Ebertfest).

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The line I'm remembering this morning was Gloria herding cattle - "Jay is this like the lobsters? Do I get to pick one? This one looks tender."

And Cameron on both episodes - kills me. And all the kids.

vCash
    "I want to teach my son all the things dad taught Claire."

A friend of mine does not watch this show. I'm going to sit her down and FORCE her to watch this episode--she is so Claire in the pathological need to be right, and her oldest daughter is Lily. She tries to strangle her baby brother on a regular basis. A grocery store cashier told the baby brother, aren't you a cute baby. Friend's version of Lily threw her toy at her and screamed "I'M THE BABY." Lucy was 17 months, and her brother was three months. She could barely say momma and daddy, and she just busted out with that out of nowhere.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I also loved that line about teaching Claire. There were a few more laugh out loud lines, but not as many as I would have liked. Hoping Lily will settle in and not just say lines. Was really glad when Gloria stopped yelling. Still love this family, not sure if I want Dillion back or not.

vCash
    Well, I'll be in the minority and say that I liked the second episode better. Lily just killed me.

I love new Lily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Why don't any of the female characters on this show have jobs?
    The only character that bothered me without a job is Claire. Then again, Phil is a real estate agent, so he could be making a lot. But it's really the only throwback to "traditional" roles (other than the stereotypes).

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    claire would quit every job because "no one there knows anything."
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The only character that bothered me without a job is Claire. Then again, Phil is a real estate agent, so he could be making a lot. But it's really the only throwback to "traditional" roles (other than the stereotypes).
    Claire has a job that she clearly works very hard at.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    claire would quit every job because "no one there knows anything."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Claire has a job that she clearly works very hard at.
    Stay at home moms work as hard as women who get pay checks. Besides, Claire runs the kids school stuff. Remember the episode when she was in charge of Manny and Luke's school dance? And did not want Gloria to assist at all.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    just like all employees in a workplace dont work hard, not all homemakers work hard. this probably wouldnt apply to claire but i hate that you always have to say that homemakers work so hard. many do but plenty dont.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    True. I'm a terrible housekeeper and would be awful at doing school stuff, but hard working stay-at-home moms work as hard as their counterparts in the paid labor force. And, on this show, there's a stay-at-home Dad as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    just like all employees in a workplace dont work hard, not all homemakers work hard. this probably wouldnt apply to claire but i hate that you always have to say that homemakers work so hard. many do but plenty dont.
    Agreed, and I don't want to get into that fight. It's just a reality now that most middle-class mothers of school-age children (especially middle/high school) work a paying job, so for a show that is all about "modern" relationships, this isn't one. I'm a little surprised that the show didn't want to address that, but they don't really show much workplace stuff, so it doesn't bug as much.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    And, on this show, there's a stay-at-home Dad as well.
    Well, Cameron is the "wife" role ...

vCash
    I just take issue with the idea that these are "modern" families when two of the three couples fall into very traditional gender roles. Claire does not have her own income and is a stay-at-home mom (a very difficult job, no doubt, but very in-line with your standard sitcom roles for women going back 60 years.) Most "modern" families these days (especially one with three kids) can not sustain the kind of lifestyle portrayed on that show on a single income.

And then there's Gloria, the gorgeous young trophy wife with no job.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Part of it might simply be based on plot opportunities. It's a show about families and their interactions and relationships, so having characters who have the flexibility to interact with their families and others at different times of day makes writing easier.

In fact, it's really only Mitchell who has the kind of job that would keep him in an office for the better part of each day. Jay owns his business and one gets the impression he doesn't have to be there all the time. Cameron is free to get involved in all kinds of projects. Claire is constantly interacting with her family, and Phil's job has flexible hours that mean he can be home for an after school scene or otherwise doing things during the day.

As for Gloria, they've never said it, but aside from not having to work, it's possible that she can't because she isn't a US citizen or doesn't have the paperwork.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast