Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

RISE to air on VERSUS in October

Acclaimed U.S. Figure Skating Film RISE to Make Television Premiere Oct. 22, 2011, on VERSUS

DVD and Blu-ray release to coincide with television premiere (will contain a DVD of 1961 U.S. Figure Skating Championships held that year in Colorado Springs, CO. It was the first National Championships to be telecast on a National TV Network).

U.S. Figure Skating story
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Get out!! I just learned today I actually get the Versus channel too!

Now if I could only get Universal Sports.

vCash
    Is there a pre-order link for the DVD?
    I haven't found one yet.

vCash
    ^So, the DVD is not out yet?? I check Netflix and when I type 'Rise' in the search engine, I get hundreds of results.

vCash
    At Amazon I get everything except the documentary I'm looking for, as well.

vCash
    The USFS story quoted above says DVD and BluRay releases will coincide with the TV premiere. Guess that means 10/22/2011.

What amazes me is that I ACTUALLY GET VERSUS

I have Time Warner and can't get Universal Sports or NBC Sports but by golly I get Versus - in HD - no less!!!!!

vCash
    I'm glad it's coming out on Blu-Ray.

vCash
    Is it wrong of me to be looking forward to the DVD of the 1961 championships more than the DVD of the film itself? :
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    wow--I get Versus--who knew? Thanks for the heads up--I'm looking forward to this!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Is it wrong of me to be looking forward to the DVD of the 1961 championships more than the DVD of the film itself? :
    Not to me. The only reason I might purchase the DVD is for the chance to see the footage of those Nationals. I have a feeling there won't be many complete programs shown. The sports coverage was pretty much news reel type highlights in those days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Not to me. The only reason I might purchase the DVD is for the chance to see the footage of those Nationals. I have a feeling there won't be many complete programs shown. The sports coverage was pretty much news reel type highlights in those days.
    I think newreel coverage will be what we get. Still it will be interesting to see. Wasn't something mentioned - after the movie premiere - that more skaters stories would be included in the DVD? I'm probably getting the DVD for myself as a Christmas present...depending on the price. Didn't see anything about how much it the DVD/BluRay would be in the story.

vCash
    OMG - I called it!!! Dig-out the original thread about RISE and see my post "wishing" that the DVD of RISE should include the 1961 US Nationals telecast film as an 'extra'! Wooo-hooo!!!!!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    I think newreel coverage will be what we get. Still it will be interesting to see. Wasn't something mentioned - after the movie premiere - that more skaters stories would be included in the DVD? I'm probably getting the DVD for myself as a Christmas present...depending on the price. Didn't see anything about how much it the DVD/BluRay would be in the story.
    No it will be the original telecast of the competition. This isn't new; I've had a DVD of this competition for years and nearly all of it is on youtube, but it will be in much better quality.

vCash
    Yes, floskate, in our original RISE thread, I mentioned my "wish" and you so kindly posted links to various competition segments. (Thanks!) The moment I read the announcement at the top of this thread, I thought only about the full telecast with Dick Button announcing. Now we are all looking forward to having a pristene 'sharp' copy.

Of course, it would be "extra nice" if the DVD would also include some newsreel footage of the ice-dance and pair couples who were chacked from the national telecast.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Yes, floskate, in our original RISE thread, I mentioned my "wish" and you so kindly posted links to various competition segments. (Thanks!) The moment I read the announcement at the top of this thread, I thought only about the full telecast with Dick Button announcing. Now we are all looking forward to having a pristene 'sharp' copy.

Of course, it would be "extra nice" if the DVD would also include some newsreel footage of the ice-dance and pair couples who were chacked from the national telecast.
    Maybe the original televised footage does exist for those performances. F. Ritter Shumway sent film reels of the event to each family. How awful would it be to pluck up the courage to watch it only to find your lost ones performance chacked? I feel sure they do exist somewhere and were sent to the families. Howard Crakers films for that year disappeared and never been found since.

vCash
    It would be great to see the original telecast including the pairs and ice dance. I hope it is really good quality. Maybe I was thinking about newsreel coverage of the pairs. Anyway looking forward to this.

vCash
    Thanks for the heads up! I get Versus too!

vCash
    Versus will air Rise beginning one hour after NBC's telecast of U.S. Nationals concludes on Saturday, Oct. 22. Start time for RISE is 7pm EST/4pm PST.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Visaliakid View Post
    Versus will air Rise beginning one hour after NBC's telecast of U.S. Nationals concludes on Saturday, Oct. 22. Start time for RISE is 7pm EST/4pm PST.
    I think you meant "one hour after NBC's telecast of Skate America".

vCash
    USFSA members can now purchase the RISE Blu-ray/DVD through www.rise1961dvd.com. If you order by 10/20, you get a 5x7" picture of the storytellers.

Sales to the general public start on Friday, October 21st.

Order Site: www.rise1961dvd.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast