Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBgood View Post
    Cuss words should always be censored out. Kids don't need to hear it.
    I don't think a lot of them will know what a menage trois is. May even think it's another word.
    Because, you know, they're not going to hear them in school, in public, from their parents......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Because, you know, they're not going to hear them in school, in public, from their parents......
    Being exposed to foul language in the schools, streets and home is quite enough without setting it to catchy music and selling it as the right way to speak to others via interviews.

For the record, I can curse like a sailor - I'm from NY - but even I keep it in check around kids, as does the rest of my family. DH's family are really bad and they let their kids curse left and right. The more I can prevent them from hearing that and assuming it's okay, the better. Truthfully, I don't want to hear it in a song unless it's meaningful.

In school, one of my DDs called someone a foul name and the teacher disciplined her and contacted us to ensure it didn't happen again, being against the school disciplinary code. We thanked him because she should have just kept her mouth shut in the first place. She's lucky it didn't escalate to violence - even in middle school, calling someone something nasty gives them the excuse to beat the daylights out of you.

Foul-mouthed morons abound, even in DisneyWorld. What's astonishing is that they don't have to be parents to curse. Teens I sort of dismiss since they're just exploring the envelope. When a young adult doesn't have the sense to reign in their language around kids, it's a character flaw, imo.

All you can do as a parent is use them as a "What NOT to do" example and encourage your kids to expand their vocabulary in a positive way that will help them in life. Cursing doesn't impress anyone of value.

vCash
    I would prefer a station refuse to play the song rather than censoring it. I think it's a station manager's prerogative what's on the station's playlist. Playing it and altering it isn't the answer. You don't like it, don't play it.

I personally hate this song. I mostly enjoy Katy Perry. She's light and fun and a little naughty. This song is gross. It's about losing control and that's not something to glamorize to kids or even adults for that matter.

vCash
    When the artists and record companies WANT to have the song played, so they provide an alternate version for Radio Disney and the other stations.

In the US, I've never heard a "bleeped" song played, but I think the OP was talking about a Canadian radio station. In that case, I agree with you: just don't play it at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    When the artists and record companies WANT to have the song played, so they provide an alternate version for Radio Disney and the other stations.
    If the artist and the record label provide an alternate, radio friendly version, then that's fine.

But to take the artist's version and adapt it, not okay. Just don't play it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    eh, I loathe this song. She's easily the worst of the current pop tarts.
    Actually, I think that title belongs solely to Ke$ha. She is horrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    Well, this thread is about censorship, not who likes Katy Perry or not.

Another radio station here censors Foster the People's "Pumped up Kicks". The words "gun" and "bullet" magically disappear.
    My Chemical Romance's "Teenagers" had those lyrics edited out as well. "Shit" I can understand, but bleeping "shirt" in the line "under your shirt," um, well, I was confused about that, and then "gun" of course, and there were some others. I just listen to the song on my iPod.

vCash
    Something I found interesting was that classic rock stations in the US tend to censor "bullshit" in Pink Floyd's Money but I often hear the uncensored version on Canadian stations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    eh, I loathe this song. She's easily the worst of the current pop tarts.
    That.

The idea of censoring "menage a trois" is just so and .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    Well, this thread is about censorship, not who likes Katy Perry or not.

Another radio station here censors Foster the People's "Pumped up Kicks". The words "gun" and "bullet" magically disappear.
    The radio stations here don't censor anything in that song, but at a school I sub at frequently, the broadcast students have it in their morning annoucements. I figure the broadcast teacher is either clueless or trying too hard to be cool.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    Actually, I think that title belongs solely to Ke$ha. She is horrible.
    OT from my thread, but ITA. She giggles a lot, has an overuse of autotune, and every song seems to be about getting drunk in a pub.

vCash
    Is "autotune" the process they use that makes their voices sound synthesized or doubled? I've commented to my kids about it several times.

vCash
    Synthesized, yes. It also corrects any pitch issues so it sounds like the person is singing in key.

vCash
    Back OT: SiriusXM played the pseudo-sanitized version on the "20 on 20" channel today. I was surprised. The on-screen title came up as "Last Friday Night," not TGIF as the OP called it. I wonder if they released two versions separately, rather than have the "Radio Disney" tag? Now I have to check Radio Disney and see if they play the song at all.

vCash
    I think they play the regular version here in NYC, but I turn the radio off as soon as I hear the opening chords of that dreadful song
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I can't imagine Radio Disney playing any version of "TGIF" at all. Seems they'd have to bleep the entire song or change the lyrics to have a completely different meaning, since everything in it is pretty inappropriate for children. But then again, I don't have to listen to Radio Disney anymore, so I don't know.

One of the local radio stations where I live (U.S.) bleeped "crystal meth" from Third Eye Blind's "Semi Charmed Kind of Life," but seemed to think it was okay to leave in the part about being in panties "face down on the mattress." Seemed pointless to bleep anything. Either play the song or don't. Bleeping one word or phrase doesn't change the meaning of the song.

On another note, I probably heard "TGIF" a million times before I even realized that "menage a trois" was even in the lyrics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I can't imagine Radio Disney playing any version of "TGIF" at all. Seems they'd have to bleep the entire song or change the lyrics to have a completely different meaning, since everything in it is pretty inappropriate for children. But then again, I don't have to listen to Radio Disney anymore, so I don't know.
    I think you're absolutely right: RD doesn't have it listed on their popularity contest countdown. I would think that the kids would have voted this one to the top, given the racy lyrics, lol.

vCash
    My local radio station always edits the word "smoked" out of the line "Cheech and Chong probably would have smoked'em all" in Nickelback's "This Afternoon" That edit always makes me laugh, because there is a legimate, although not very strong, swear word (a**) in it and they leave that in, but heaven forbid we suggest people might smoke weed. Not to mention that the song is basically about a group of people getting drunk all afternoon...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12