Thread: REM Breaks Up

vCash

REM Breaks Up

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...HQlK_blog.html

More of a "we've been doing this a long time. time to end it" type of thing, than anything negative.

vCash

Sigh, the last vestige of my youth gone....and just in time for my Big 4-0.

Thanks, boys, it's been fun!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I didn't realize they were still together...
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Funny, "Swan Swan H" was on the satellite radio yesterday, and I was listening to it and thinking, "Wow, REM's last few albums didn't really do much of anything, I wonder if they'll keep trying to get things going again".....maybe they heard me
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    They're shiny, but no longer happy people?

vCash
    Oh well, "Everybody Hurts".
    I'll miss them, one of my favorite groups.

vCash
    I also had no clue they were still together.

vCash
    Me three about no clue they were still together.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My college years were spent with REM blasting away in the background. IRS record labels swirling around, thrilled to get the cassettes. Visionary, haunting songs and videos. Funny stuff "LEONARD BERNSTEIN!" in the lyrics, but they always made you think. The harmonies were amazing, the musicianship top notch. to the Athens men!

And their Hall of Fame induction song with Eddie Vedder (Man In The Moon) was awesome.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    If they feel it's time, then it's time.

I was a school in Athens, GA during the mid-80's, starting when REM was still an underground, indie-rock college band (think Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, and Life's Rich Pageant). It nearly killed me when their music changed after switching to Warner Brothers and they went supernova in the mainstream, and after Green came out, they lost me as a fan, though I still love listening to their early stuff.

Has anyone here ever seen the Indie movie, "Athens Ga: Inside Out?" It's a great documentary about the music scene in Athens during the early 80s - a great retrospective of the bands that came out of that sleepy little town and made the world take notice. Definitely worth a watch - lots of vintage performance clips and interviews. I saw it earlier this year for the first time since it came out, and it was like seeing ghosts, as it was done when I was there (I was also at the hair and clothing styles - I saw wayyy to much of that on campus). REM (a very young REM) is featured in it, both in interviews and performing Swan Swan Hummingbird (clip from the movie). It also has bands like the B-52s, Pylon, the BBQ Killers, Love Tractor, and several other groups.
    Last edited by Cyn; 09-22-2011 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I didn't realize they were still together...
    Oh, come on people! They released a very good album this year!

"ÜBerlin" is just an absolutely incredible song that gives me chills and brings me close to tears every time I hear it (which probably says more about my neuroticism than my song but still ;D):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITh-XIikgI

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    One of the guys just posted nude pics of himself. I wonder if this has anything to do with the breakup? Maybe his behavior is out of control?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    One of the guys just posted nude pics of himself. I wonder if this has anything to do with the breakup? Maybe his behavior is out of control?
    LINK PLEASE!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It was Michael Stipe:

http://unratedperez.com/?p=94591
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    It was Michael Stipe:

http://unratedperez.com/?p=94591
    I really like Michael Stipe, but he's not right up there on the list of guys I want to see in the nude.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I really like Michael Stipe, but he's not right up there on the list of guys I want to see in the nude.
    You know you clicked it.

But anyway I too was unaware they were still "together".

vCash
    I met Michael Stipe last summer. He's a really nice guy (and he called me smart!). REM was making a new CD in New Orleans at the time.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    they went supernova in the mainstream, and after Green came out, they lost me as a fan, though I still love listening to their early stuff.
    Yeah, I used to listen to them back in the day and then one day I said "Man, what DOUCHEBAGS" and I haven't been able to recapture the love since.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket