Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

2011 Worlds for Rhythmic Gymnastics - Montpellier

Rhythmic Gymnastics Worlds are happening this week in Montpelier, France:

http://montpellier2011.fig-gymnastic...m-item,00.html

Individual Hoop and Balls finals tomorrow. Finals for indiv Clubs and Ribbons on Thursday. Indiv All-Around Friday. Group All-Around Saturday.

I wish that Universal Sports would show more of this sport! Does anyone know if we'll even get the tiny one-hour recap show this year? Last year they showed it in the wee hours, a few days before the Artistic Gymnastics Worlds.

Let me place a bet: Russians will win all of the individual events.

Here are the Russian entries for the individual events:
    RUS 8740 DMITRIEVA Daria 1993 Individual
    RUS 23 KANAEVA Evgenia 1990 Individual (the reighning World AA Champ, I believe)
    RUS 9273 KONDAKOVA Daria 1991 Individual
    RUS 9248 MERKULOVA Alexandra 1995 Individual

Also very strong, from Belarus:
    BLR 8842 STANIOUTA Melitina 1993 Individual (my personal fave...Go, Melitina!)
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I wish I knew something about these worlds but to be honest I have no clue whatsoever. Only competition I've watched was at the Commonwealth games and besides maybe the Australia that won and the girl from Cyprus I doubt any of them were world class athletes at all.

vCash
    It's going to be total Kanaeva domination!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It's going to be total Kanaeva domination!!
    Agreed. She won the individual finals and the all event at the Berlin Masters three weeks ago which was the last event before Worlds. And she had unbelievable scores, too. So, unless she messes up completely... (and she's not only the reigning World Champion but also the reigning Olympic Champion )
    If clean, Kondakova and Dmitrieva should place second - depending on who does what. Hard to say who'll come in third, Staniouta wasn't in Berlin, as far as I remember. Third place alternated between Garaeva from Azerbaijan and the Bulgarian, forgot her last name.

RG is so unpredictable

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Agreed. She won the individual finals and the all event at the Berlin Masters three weeks ago which was the last event before Worlds. And she had unbelievable scores, too. So, unless she messes up completely... (and she's not only the reigning World Champion but also the reigning Olympic Champion )
    If clean, Kondakova and Dmitrieva should place second - depending on who does what. Hard to say who'll come in third, Staniouta wasn't in Berlin, as far as I remember. Third place alternated between Garaeva from Azerbaijan and the Bulgarian, forgot her last name.

RG is so unpredictable
    Bulgarian you are referring is very likely Miteva , gorgeous gymnast, but classic head case. Her ribbon from earlier this year, her problems are clearly shown in the routine beautiful pivots but her floor coverage is low, good forward flexibility but she hardly does any back flexibility elements.

Dmiterva is not competing all-round, only Kondakova and Kanaeva are doing all 4 events. Also Merkulova is doing 3 events and Dmiterva one event. I believe qualification all round they only count 3 apparatus total (not sure).

vCash
    Any live streams?

Looks like Universal Sports has completely removed the former RG section so not holding my breath for any coverage...

vCash
    Wheee - looks like FIG is doing something right at least...though it doesn't seem to be the complete event as with the JGP.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/figchannel

vCash
    Links for the live stream

http://http://tv.bnt.bg/bntworld/

http://http://www.isbi.es/Wordpress/bnt-world-online/

My overall impression is that Kanaeva & Kondakova are in a leaugue of their own by far.
    Though I'd disagree with the Hoop placements and put Kondakova in 1st instead of Kanaeva.
    Kanaeva's ball was fantastic - the choreo, the outfit, the idea of her routine.
    Alina Maksimenko's (UKR) Ball to Dire Straits is a piece of art.
    Pity that such a gorgeous gymnast as Melitina Staniouta from Belarus makes those unfortunate mistakes. She deserves being in top 5 at least.

vCash
    The only time I watch RG is during the Olympics. However, now may be a good time to get acquainted with the top competitors so I can recognize the names in 2012. Right now I know of only Kanaeva, and that's due to another poster who posted in the trash can forum (it was totally relevant; not OT at all).

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Any live streams?
    RAI sport (an italian broadcasting channel) is covering the whole event. There's a live streaming from the RAI website but it's geoblocked outside the country. Maybe someone can find a link for the streaming worlwide?

vCash
    Evgenia won all 6 gold medal in offer, including 3rd all round title. This is the second time in her career that she managed to sweep the gold medal (Mie 2009). She is clearly the most dominant gymnast of all time with 17 world championship gold medals over the last 5 years. Though, the all-round result was lot closer than expected with Daria Kondakova just 0.05 points behind Evgenia.

Final result:
    1) Evgenia kanaeva -RUS
    2) Daria Kondakova - RUS
    3) Alikya Garaeva - AZE (in Azeri fashion she is imported from Russia)

Silvia Miteva of Bulgaria was very close to winning the bronze medal until she pulled a Kabaeva and kicked the hoop out of boundary. She had to use the spare hoop to complete the routine, Miteva finished in 7th position. Charkashina (BLR) was 4th, Maksimenko (UKR) was 5th and reigning bronze medalist Staniouta of BLR was 6th. Expect 3rd to 7th to be a very close battle in London.

vCash
    Just bin the sport. Should not be in the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Just bin the sport. Should not be in the Olympics.
    I feel the same about sports like rowing, sailing etc, with 10 to 15 gold medals each.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I feel the same about sports like rowing, sailing etc, with 10 to 15 gold medals each.
    Its basically the same thing over and over except with a different apparatus. That someone can so easily dominate the sport makes it an utter waste of time and Rowing and Sailing though they may be boring (I like both personally) are competitive.

vCash
    Its basically the same thing over and over except with a different apparatus. That someone can so easily dominate the sport makes it an utter waste of time and Rowing and Sailing though they may be boring (I like both personally) are competitive.
    "The same thing over and over again"? I don't know of another sport in which every athlete, from first to last, shows some originality and has such different strengths and weaknesses. If you don't like rythmic gymnastics, indeed you shouldn't waste your time watching it.

As for the placements, I've watched yesterday's competition on a French channel and when Delphine Ledoux's final score came up and people realised she would finish as high as 12th and qualified for the olympics - I can't describe her happiness and the emotions of her coach, the president of the federation, the commentators. The crowd also went mad. Everyone had tears in their eyes during her interview. It's not only about the gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    "The same thing over and over again"? I don't know of another sport in which every athlete, from first to last, shows some originality and has such different strengths and weaknesses. If you don't like rythmic gymnastics, indeed you shouldn't waste your time watching it.
    Well said, could't agree more.

As for the placements, I've watched yesterday's competition on a French channel and when Delphine Ledoux's final score came up and people realised she would finish as high as 12th and qualified for the olympics - I can't describe her happiness and the emotions of her coach, the president of the federation, the commentators. The crowd also went mad. Everyone had tears in their eyes during her interview. It's not only about the gold medal.
    French could have had 2 qualifiers, if French had given Ksenia Mustafaeva citizenship, she has been living in France for so long, yet she hasn't got citizenship.

vCash
    Kanaeva - stunning... She always shows up a real dignity by each sophisticated move

vCash
    hmm
    in skating they did all the same over and over in CD.
    There are basically 6 jumps to execute in singles and pairs.
    etc..

Before saying that someone can dominate rhythmics so easily - just try and make at least one oversplit like these girls do .

+ if you have a bit more patience and watch the competitions attentively you'll notice that different types of body movements are required in every single apparatus, and each apparatus demands special technique - so no way it is all the same.

vCash
    Its basically the same thing over and over except with a different apparatus.
    There's one problem with that statement because every other sport is basically the same thing over and over; whether you have a short or long distance in - to use your example - rowing, each and every single rower is doing the exact same thing. And so is every runner and every skier or whatever sport you want to use. It's the artistic sports which actually vary. They're just not as unpredictable (though every sport has their favorites and there was a time the Germans took more or less every rowing medal of the competitions they entered or Isinbaeva took the gold in pole vault each time she showed up and Usain Bolt didn't exactly make the 100 and 200 m unpredictable at the last Olympic Games) But I don't watch any of the artistic sports - which also includes figure skating, thank you very much - for their unpredictability.

As pumba mentioned each apparatus has different emphasis that 50% of the routine must consist of. With ribbon it's turns, with clubs it's balance, with rope it's jumps, with ball it's flexibility. Hoop is a mixture of everything. And each apparatus has to be handled with both hands equally.
    Last edited by ballettmaus; 09-24-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast