Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    UMBS - I can appreciate your alumnus pride. But should school loyalty really outweigh the capabilities of the groups competing? IMHO, only one of the three groups is ready and capable of using the win to push their careers, as well as the art of acapella, to a whole new level. The Aires are cute and they have a great frontman who will surely have a musical career of his own, but as a group they will be a second tier act at best.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Ultimately, that's your opinion, which you're entitled to, just as others are entitled to theirs.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    True, it is just my opinion. However, in reading your posts, you have gushed more on the Aires being from Dartmouth than on their capabilites, and then went overboard on finding new ways to vote. That's why it appeared to me that your votes were more about school pride than talent, much like all those DWTS votes for Bristol Palin over more talented dancers because of her mother. I would love to hear your opinions on why you think the Aires should win over Pentatonix or Urban Method.

vCash
    Maybe UMBS just doesn't like the other two groups. I don't. I prefer the Aires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Count me in as another who has no vested interest in any of this - Canuck that I am -and I prefer the Aires. No particular reason, I just enjoy them more.
    Crazy about sports!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    However, in reading your posts, you have gushed more on the Aires being from Dartmouth than on their capabilites, and then went overboard on finding new ways to vote. That's why it appeared to me that your votes were more about school pride than talent, much like all those DWTS votes for Bristol Palin over more talented dancers because of her mother. I would love to hear your opinions on why you think the Aires should win over Pentatonix or Urban Method.

Wow, talk about being passive-aggressive. Par for the course on this board, I guess.

I'm sorry if I offended your own particular sensibilities and opinions, but everyone has a right to their own opinions as to the many factors that construe "talent." I am also not denigrating the talents and accomplishments of the other groups. If you always get so defensive, threatened, and testy when others' views happen to differ with yours, then may I suggest you get a chill pill or see a shrink.

In the meantime, congrats in advance to the team that wins tonight. To make it this far speaks well to all three groups' talents.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 11-28-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I'm not offended. I just want to hear your opinions about the different groups and why you prefer one over the other, rather than just "rah rah team." There could be a number of reasons.

For example, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I like Pentatonix because I'm a sucker for a good bass, and they have one of the best. The Aires are deficient in this area, as Ben has mentioned more than once. I also find Pentatonix more creative in their arrangements. Their lead guy is one of the most versatile in different styles and the tenor's voice is absolutely gorgeous and pure. The Aires are very fun and good entertainers, but they have had more pitch problems, as well as tempo issues. Urban Method is finally catching their stride, but they have been inconsistent throughout the competition and tended to rely too much on the rapper.

And I agree - congratulations to whomever wins. All three groups have talent. It's just my humble opinion that only one group is ready to step directly from the stage to the recording booth, while the other two groups would require some grooming first.

vCash
    I appreciate the attention this show brings to acapella music/groups regardless of who wins.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I appreciate the attention this show brings to acapella music/groups regardless of who wins.
    Amen to that.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    It's quite all right to prefer the Aires. It's just that every post by UMBS, beginning with the first one before ever even hearing any of the singers, has been all about the Aires and their connection to Dartmouth. That's why I feel it is all about school pride, rather than which group is ready for prime time.

Hopefully, this will evolve into a discussion about the various talents of the different groups.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    It's just that every post by UMBS, beginning with the first one before ever even hearing any of the singers, has been all about the Aires and their connection to Dartmouth.

vCash
    Go Aires! Go Dartmouth!

Sorry, I don't watch the show, but I had to get that out. I just can't control that school pride.

Seriously, though, I did watch part of last week's episode (I felt I must after getting so many emails about it ). Watching the Aires brought back so many memories (especially the Shout and Queen performances), I couldn't be unbiased if I tried, so why try? The Aires simply made me smile much more than the others, although I enjoyed all the groups (at least those I saw) quite a bit.
    Creating drama!

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    UMBS - thanks for the music. I love violins.

Now can we have a discussion about the talents of the various groups?

vCash
    It's quite all right to prefer the Aires. It's just that every post by UMBS, beginning with the first one before ever even hearing any of the singers, has been all about the Aires and their connection to Dartmouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    It's okay, my love of a capella is a distant second to my ubering of Ben Folds for reasons to watch The Sing-Off

Speaking of which, I read that Ben is performing Not The Same with the Aires tonight. I've sung it many a times a capella with Ben; definitely one of the highlights of his concerts.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    The thing I like about the Aires is that I think they would sell more tickets to live shows than the other groups - they're performers and I'd rather pay to go see a group that is entertaining than one who is more technically perfect.

I like Pentatonix, but really only because of their bass and percussion. I'm not a fan of the girl, and the lead guy - he sings well technically, hitting the notes fine, but I find his voice a bit nasally and lispy. Plus I keep seeing Anthony Michael Hall circa Edward Scissorhands when I look at him.

And rapper from Urban Method: Ditch the group and launch a solo career, please!!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    hated group # 1's song, seemed to be 20 minutes long

group # 2's song is also irritating
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    It's okay, my love of a capella is a distant second to my ubering of Ben Folds for reasons to watch The Sing-Off

:
    that's my reason for watching.

and I like Pentatonix best.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    To me, each member of the Pentatonix is equally important.

As for the Aire, the 'star' of the group is obvious. Michael Odokara-Okigbo is the star. Without Michael, the group is just mediocre.

That's why Pentatonix impressed me much more than the Aire, in terms of group performance.

As for individual performance, Michael hands down is the best on the show. He truly overshadows the entire group. Is it a good thing for the group? Probably not. Is it a good thing for Michael? Absolutely!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    To me, each member of the Pentatonix is equally important.

As for the Aire, the 'star' of the group is obvious. Michael Odokara-Okigbo is the star. Without Michael, the group is just mediocre.

That's why Pentatonix impressed me much more than the Aire, in terms of group performance.

As for individual performance, Michael hands down is the best on the show. He truly overshadows the entire group. Is it a good thing for the group? Probably not. Is it a good thing for Michael? Absolutely!
    I was just coming out of lurkdom to say that. I can't imagine Pentatonix working without each of the five members. It is only by working together that they create this big cohesive sound. I also love their arrangements of songs. They've even made me like songs that I haven't liked previously.

Michael of the Dartmouth Aires is sort of like Glee's Jesse of Vocal Adrenaline. I enjoy watching the Aires perform, but I tend to think of them as Michael's backup group.

vCash
    That is the one thing I really like about Pentatonix- they all are important and it's impressive that with 5 people they do the same things the others do with three times that.

I just want to know when some Broadway show is going to call up Michael - that man was born to perform. Apparently there's going to be a 2012 revival of Jesus Christ Superstar - they need to call him up to play Judas. According to the Aires website he's graduating in 2012 so it's perfect!

But seriously, the resemblance between Pentatonix' Scott and Anthony Michael Hall in Edward Scissorhands is really freaky to me.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast