Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I always watch my skating tapes when I'm home sick!

Chicken soup + Dayquil + 1996 Worlds = Fergus feeling much better!

However, I was also notorious for throwing in any old tape when I needed one in pinch. So I've got some that start off with a "Will & Grace" episode or the 1999 Tony Awards......and then when that's over *voila!*, it's the 1997 Trophee Lalique competition, midway thru!

I gotta judiciously edit my collection and transfer the good stuff to DVD, sigh.....

vCash
    I converted my VHS tapes to DVD 2 years ago using a DVD/VCR combo recorder/player. It was pretty simple. The only problem was that some of the tapes were a bit warped/damaged and the quality of the recording wasn't great - lots of tracking lines that I.could.not.get.rid.of. And what would happen when the playback started getting messy was that the recorder would sense that and the transfer would stop. So I would usually have to sit there to stop the tape and hit record on the DVD side again - took a long time. I think the whole process took 6 months, and I had tapes of Nats, Worlds, and Olys from 1995, plus a few extras, like the '94 World Pros that I refused to tape over b/c it had G/G on it. Same with the Grinkov memorial tribute in early '96 and the '94 Olys ex. I also found a pro comp from '97 that I kept b/c it had Brian Orser and Underhill/Martini.

Once the transfer was done, I threw out the tapes. DVDs take up much less space and they are easier to rewatch b/c you can FF through quicker and get to the performance you want. I will admit, though, that I don't watch them much, but they don't take up much space, so I'm glad I have them.

Vacant
    vCash
    I watch my old stuff that has already been converted to DVD pretty often. A lot of what I have is not on youtube. They're like my reference library. I have soooo many post 1990 VHS tapes that are all packed away in trunks and need converting but I just can't seem to get around to it.

I'm also very intrigued as to what gkelly has in their collection that I may not

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I'm also very intrigued as to what gkelly has in their collection that I may not
    You aren't the only one!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Probably not much -- you do have a lot.

vCash
    mine are still on vhs so need to convert to dvd in order to watch them ... so at this point the answer is ... never

vCash
    Re watching dvds and tapes with other skating fans, I have done it a few times and it is a lot fun. And with dvd, you can edit the chapters in such a way that you can go to your desired skater asap.

Youtube is great but it is limited. As a completist, I want the commentary, interviews and fluff pieces. The whole is more than the sum of its parts and all that...

vCash
    ^^^
    I agree!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Youtube is great but it is limited. As a completist, I want the commentary, interviews and fluff pieces. The whole is more than the sum of its parts and all that...
    I'm a 'completist' too. And one of things I like about DVD is that it has forced me to be more complete because putting together a compiliation creates lots of glitches. So, I include more of a competition on my DVDs than I did when I was using tapes. Some of my old tapes only have select skates, whereas I rarely stop and start with different skates/portions of a competition more than three times on DVD. Usually it's two, sometimes just one two hour segment. I prefer recording on standard instead of long because the quality decreases with long - but even the DVDs are starting to pile up, so I may need to be more selective in future.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I still remember when I first got into taping skating... right after SLC. I taped over the Olympics and Worlds (d'oh!) but then I got and saved a ESPN re-broadcast of 2002 Euros Pairs LP/FD, 4CC FD and Ladies LP, and a PBS Evening with Champions.... I watched them all about a million times.

Then once I was going through non-skating tapes and found a tape of the 1994 Ladies Oly LP that I had taped when I was 11 and forgot all about... that was fun.

Nowadays though I really don't ever rewatch anything. After Vancouver I did watch my DVDs of Torino to ease some of the pain but I actually enjoyed watching "Olympic Ice" more than the skating.

I have a DVR so archiving is pretty easy. I actually enjoy editing the broadcasts, making chapters, and then choosing the skater who gets to be the "thumbnail" pic. I find it relaxing and mindless. I save all of Olympics, Worlds, and Euros. For Nationals, GPs, 4CC, and galas, I only save the skaters I like and delete the rest. I usually will rewatch it a couple of times from my hard drive before I transfer to DVD but rarely watch them once they're on the DVD. I do feel like the DVR and youtube have ruined the sense of re-watching a whole competition and letting a story unfold. I have everything chaptered to the start of each skater's opening pose, and it's just too easy to hit "next" for every boring skater and then to skip the replay/K&C for the ones I do like.

It's really habit at this point. I saved almost all of the seasons of SYTYCD also. Rarely watch them, yet it burns me that I don't have season 1 (I downloaded it, but it's not the same quality).

Quote Originally Posted by Skate Talker View Post
    The stuff I am most interested in seeing again is left on the external hard drive, which I can attach to a media player that is in turn connected to my big screen TV so I can watch over again in their full glory.
    Ohh, what's this? You can use a regular external hard drive with just a bunch of avi or mpgs in a folder? How do you select which ones to play? This would be convenient for watching downloaded programs (right now I either burn a DVD-RW and erase, or connect my laptop to the TV).

The other programs that I keep only on the back up DVD can easily be reloaded to the hard drive and viewed through the media player at any time if I wish as well.
    I'm confused. Wouldn't it be easier to just watch the DVD through a DVD player connected to the TV? Or do you mean data DVDs?

My problem is that even after I convert them I think that I might still go back to them to re-capture digitally as that technology improves.
    That's my #1 concern (read: excuse ) for not converting any tapes yet. Eventually I might just go ahead and convert old GP events and crap like that, saving only the skaters I like, and toss the tapes. But for the really good stuff I'd rather hold on to the tapes too. My DVR has a hard drive but does not record in high-def (I don't believe any on the market do) so I feel like I should keep them just in case that technology becomes available (the tapes are low-def, but I figure recording in better quality couldn't hurt?). Especially all of the skater compilation tapes of my faves that were so painstakingly put together by people... a shame to get rid of those. I should really do it though while I still have two working VCRs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    My DVR has a hard drive but does not record in high-def (I don't believe any on the market do) so I feel like I should keep them just in case that technology becomes available (the tapes are low-def, but I figure recording in better quality couldn't hurt?).
    Yeah, my DVR is almost full as is - I'm going to have to delete or archive on DVD and it sucks for the NBC broadcasts because there's no way to keep it in HD. Hard to believe it's still not possible in late 2011 (maybe Japan?)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The last time I moved, about 4 years ago, I just threw them all away. Included were a ton of gymnastics videos as well. I felt bad, and sometimes still do, but they were all VHS and I had no VCR. Many of them were poor quality and some of them had not been watched in so long that there is no telling if they still worked. I thought about giving them away but I was not willing to put in the time or money to ship them to someone, if I knew someone local then I would have handed them over but no way am I mailing out 100s of tapes.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The biggest thing I worry about with getting rid of tapes is disposing them into landfill. So I have a stack of VCR tapes (not just skating) that I want to get rid of but I want to do it responsibility with as little as environmental impact as possible.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The biggest thing I worry about with getting rid of tapes is disposing them into landfill. So I have a stack of VCR tapes (not just skating) that I want to get rid of but I want to do it responsibility with as little as environmental impact as possible.
    Oh, it is bad to dump them in the trash? What else are you supposed to do with them?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Probably a dumb question for this board, huh!

But seriously, how often do you really watch your tapes? I'm at a cross-roads of what to do about the probably well over 200 video tapes I have (a full video cabinet double lined with tapes, plus about 4-5 copy paper boxes full of tapes). The majority of my tapes are USA tv broadcasts of US Nationals, Worlds and Olympics since early-mid 90's, and then a lot of the Pro-Ams from the mid-late 90's. I taped most of these events live as I watched them ... then have never watched them again. I've never once pulled out a tape and watched it again. Yet I continue to tape those 3 big events and keep piling on more video tapes.

I randomly put in a couple tapes recently (that I had not even marked!), and the quality is so poor, they aren't even watchable.

......even my VCR's are breaking and you can't even buy brand new VCR's anymore (buying on E-bay just got me one that is now also broken), so soon I won't even be able to watch them if I wanted to.

Is it really worth keeping them and continuing to tape, when I have never once pulled out a tape and watched it again? Do you really watch your videos again or do the tapes just end up collecting dust?

...I don't think I am ready to let them go just yet .... but then again I have never watched any of them again and wonder if I ever will.
    BaileyCatts, you sound just like me. Though I've found as the years progressed I've drastically cut down on the number of competitions and exhibitions that I want to tape and watch over again.

I originally began taping skating beginning with the 96/97 season. Back then like you, I popped a tape in and taped the entire competition/exhibition. I did this up until the 03/04 season as (again like yourself) I realized that I wasn't watching every performance or even every discipline on a regular basis. I also started editing out commercials as I got sick of fastforwarding though the commercials as I thought that would wear out the VCR sooner.

As of the 04/05 season I began taping only the entirety of the icedance competitions/exhibitions and only taping pair and single performances where I loved the programs enough that I knew I would go back and watch those performances again.

Up until recently during the season when I had a couple of hours free I would have mini figureskating marathons and in the summer I also would watch certain tapes over again. For the past three years I haven't been watching much skating at all. This season I taped a few pair and dance programs and except for watching V&M, V&T and I&K performances for the first couple of weeks post worlds I haven't watched skating at all since then.

It is hard to decide what to get rid of especially since you can't use your VCR (another thing we have in common). In my case my VCR is just old and the tracking doesn't work. I have to squint to try and make out what's what. I wish I had purchased one of the newer styled VCR's with both VHS and DVD capabilities so I could at least transfer my compilation tapes and some of the performances I want to keep onto DVD. Now I don't think you can get any type of VHS player.

I did get rid of a bunch of tapes earlier this year and could get rid of at least half of what I have left if those tapes didn't have a couple of dance routines sprinkled throughout.

vCash
    I started converting my videotapes to DVD 3 years ago and am still working on it. I think next summer, I'll probably be done. I could have finished in about half the time (or less) but I've been watching everything as I've been converting and that's made it a really enjoyable project. Some of the surprises I've found have been really exciting - like in the 03-04 and 04-05 seasons I'm doing now, I'd been too busy at work to pay a lot of attention to skating, so I don't remember a lot about the programs or who won which event, so it's like watching brand new skating. And a lot of what I'm finding is not on YouTube, so I'm still glad I have the DVDs. Once I'm done all of the recording videotapes and editing to burn to DVD, I'll have that much more time for watching afterward. I do cut some things out that I'll probably never watch (and probably should be even stricter with my cutting), but DVDs are cheap and don't take up that much room, so what the hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Oh, it is bad to dump them in the trash? What else are you supposed to do with them?
    Definately bad to dump in trash. They are plastic and that stuff doesn't decompose easily. Just sits in landfill for years.

I have investigated services that do recycle them but there are not many around. Still it is possible to recycle them. It does require a bit of effort to find out where to do it though.

There are quite a few services that do recycle DVDs.

But then I am talking about Australia. Not sure what the rest of the world does.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I recycled all my old, unwatched FS videos. I think I used greendisk.com. Unfortunately, I also recycled a bunch of stuff a friend was storing at my old place. So if anyone has competition videos/DVDs between Calgary and Nagano on offer, please let me know.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Also, the tape can get loose and birds can mistake it for food (as they do plastic objects in the ocean).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Ohh, what's this? You can use a regular external hard drive with just a bunch of avi or mpgs in a folder? How do you select which ones to play? This would be convenient for watching downloaded programs (right now I either burn a DVD-RW and erase, or connect my laptop to the TV).
    I have a (Western Digital) WD TV HD Media Player. I got probably the first version so it wasn't Wi-Fi, but they are now. See this link http://store.westerndigital.com/stor...oryID.13742300 It looks to me like the newer ones function almost the same as a "smart tv" so if you haven't got one of the latest and greatest TV's this would be a much less expensive way to use your tv as if it was. I may have to look into this too. When I got the hardwired version, I didn't have a home network but now I do so this could be useful to me too.

The WD interface groups all the files by type, so all your photo files are in one area, music in another, and video in a third area. The files are organized however you have set them up on the hard drive. So if I create a folder on the hard drive for 2011 Worlds, then all files of whatever type, avi, mpg, etc. that I have put in that folder will show up as a list or icons as I choose, sorted by name. There are other options too, like using the menu to show you recently added files or some such. Like a DVD player it has fast forward and rewind options, skip to next file, etc.

I'm confused. Wouldn't it be easier to just watch the DVD through a DVD player connected to the TV? Or do you mean data DVDs?
    I mean data DVDs. It all makes sense when you know that I capture the figure skating as data files, not movie DVDs. I have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR that I used for years. It allows me watch TV on my computer and also to capture as mpg files. Now I have a new, more powerful computer and a Hauppauge HD PVR that (obviously) can capture in HD as .mpg4 or .ts files as I wish.

When I am not home I can schedule the PVR's to capture, but that makes for such big files that whenever I am home, I start and stop the capture at commercial breaks. Since my computer and the TV are in the same room this is very convenient. I can watch live on the big screen and hit all the commercial breaks no sweat. (The mpg files I can cut and merge easily into individual skaters later if I choose without loss of quality. I am still searching for a good program to do the same with the mpg4 HD files, but have been given a lead on one to check out as soon as I have time.)

When I first started capturing on my computer I used to use software that came bundled with the Hauppauge PVR, or software that came bundled on my PC to turn them into movie DVD's with chapters by skater, etc. but it always took so long to burn and then I would find out that somewhere along the line the video and audio had gotten out of synch or the DVD would have places it would freeze up or skip, etc. I just have found the data files to be so much more reliable and a lot less work to burn to DVD for back up so initially I would burn them both ways. All I needed was an easy way to put them on the big screen TV for best replay so I could stop creating movie DVDs. My mother kindly gave me the WD TV HD Media Player for my birthday years ago as soon as I spotted it in the store. The unit I have is very compact, a little smaller than a paperback so it doesn't need much space.
    Last edited by Skate Talker; 09-20-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast