vCash

Bicycle Purchasing Advice Please!

I recently reawakened to the joys of bicycle riding, and am in the market to purchase a bike. I live in NYC, and mostly want to ride the bike in Central Park and other well-beaten bike paths, and maybe eventually commuting to work if I feel brave enough. I don't want to invest too much yet, but I don't want a total piece of junk either. Would rather not go over $600.

I'm mostly interested in the hybrid brands, and it seems like the major ones are Trek FX, Cannondale Quik, and maybe also the Jamus Allegra/Coda. I've tried out a Trek FX 7.2 that is on sale for $518, although there's only two left in stock.

Any bicycle fans know anything about these brands or have any other recommendations? Grateful for your thoughts!!!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Have you visited this forum dedicated to women's cycling? You'll get lots of helpful advice and find lots of threads already on the forum with useful info, including info on bike purchases. Be sure to check out the New Rider thread.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    The important thing is that it fits you well and you are comfortable with it. Those are all good brands so it's a matter of which bikes feels the best and that's going to be individual.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Have you visited this forum dedicated to women's cycling? You'll get lots of helpful advice and find lots of threads already on the forum with useful info, including info on bike purchases. Be sure to check out the New Rider thread.
    Hey, thanks, I have not previously seen this forum -- going to check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    The important thing is that it fits you well and you are comfortable with it. Those are all good brands so it's a matter of which bikes feels the best and that's going to be individual.
    Thank you. Good point about it largely being individual. Still curious if anyone has personal experiences and other thoughts. I feel fairly ignorant about bikes, and whether one brand sports features that might end up being important to me. One thing I'm wondering about is the ease of shifting gears, as I tend to have weak hands.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Well, you want nice components to get good shifting. But all the bikes you are looking at are in the same pricing tier so they probably have similar components. I'm more familiar with road bikes and their components.

Another thing to consider: this time of year the new model bikes are coming out. So it's a good time to pick up a discount on last year's model. ("Last" year being 2011.)
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I have a Trek hybrid, an old one. It's lasted forever, and I'm not at all nice to it. My only complaint, now that I'm getting old, is that the handlebars could be higher, so I don't have to bend over as much and crane my neck up to see where I ride.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I recently reawakened to the joys of bicycle riding, and am in the market to purchase a bike. I live in NYC, and mostly want to ride the bike in Central Park and other well-beaten bike paths, and maybe eventually commuting to work if I feel brave enough.
    I'm rather over the letters in the NY Daily News over the bike lanes in NYC, and the back-and-forth between pedestrians, drivers and cyclists over the "lack of respect" each group is supposedly showing the other (the ire seems mostly directed at the cyclists riding on the sidewalks and blowing through stop lights/signs).

Nothing to recommend as far as "new" bikes go. I ride a Zebra Sport 12-speed touring bike, that still has the original parts except for the front rim and the derailleur, that I've had since 1988. It was originally a "neighborhood road" bike, but I had too many close calls with cars (while riding legally according to NYS law! ) when I started riding again myself last year, so now I only ride the bike trails around where I live.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I'm rather over the letters in the NY Daily News over the bike lanes in NYC, and the back-and-forth between pedestrians, drivers and cyclists over the "lack of respect" each group is supposedly showing the other (the ire seems mostly directed at the cyclists riding on the sidewalks and blowing through stop lights/signs).
    There's nothing "supposedly" about it; it's a serious problem here in the Big Apple.

(I almost killed a woman with a small child on a bike once; she turned the wrong way onto one-way West 10th Street directly into the path of on-coming traffic. Luckily I saw her in time and was able to serve, but that was one stupid maneuver on her part.)

vCash
    My daughter did the searching, for a hybrid, two years ago. She decided on a Bianchi. It was a good price point, and had everything she wanted. She's very happy with it.
    http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    There's nothing "supposedly" about it; it's a serious problem here in the Big Apple.

(I almost killed a woman with a small child on a bike once; she turned the wrong way onto one-way West 10th Street directly into the path of on-coming traffic. Luckily I saw her in time and was able to serve, but that was one stupid maneuver on her part.)
    Yikes.

It's a serious problem everywhere, I see enough idiots in all three groups where I live. People on bikes (they are NOT cyclists, as cyclists know and follow the laws) riding on sidewalks, going the wrong way on one-way streets and/or on the wrong side of the road. Pedestrians who don't know how to cross on their green light instead of on mine or else they jay-walk right in front of an on-coming car (Russell Sage students are especially notorius for that). And of course the idiots in their cars with cell phone in hand, which is the #1 reason why my bike and I stick strictly to the bike trails.

And unfortunately because of the antics of the people on bikes, when there is an incident between a bicycle and a car, unless the cop personally witnesses it (and even sometimes when they do), they'll more often than not take the side of the driver, even if the driver was at fault.

vCash
    emason, that is very scary. It's why I'm reluctant to try commuting in NYC (I live about 40 blocks north of where I work). I don't want to get hit by a car, and I don't want to hit any pedestrians. Goodness knows I've been nearly sideswiped by some obnoxiously aggressive bicycle riders. That said, there are some classes on cycling safety and etiquette, and I plan to take one. So maybe one day I'll commute to work.

I appreciate the suggestions. I almost purchased the Trek 7.2 today, but the bike apparently went off sale and the store refused to honor the sale price, even though it's end of season. Whatever, there are a lot of bike shops around here, so I'll keep looking. And I'll take a look at the Bianchi bikes too.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I wish I lived somewhere that I felt safe riding a bicycle. But even when I see bike lines, it doesn't look that safe to me, not much space, fast traffic going by...not to mention the noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I almost purchased the Trek 7.2 today, but the bike apparently went off sale and the store refused to honor the sale price, even though it's end of season. Whatever, there are a lot of bike shops around here, so I'll keep looking. And I'll take a look at the Bianchi bikes too.
    How'd the future shopping go? Did you send them a copy of this post to let them know all the bad press they are getting?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I ended up getting a black & pink Specialized Vita for $499. I went for a nice bike ride with some friends yesterday, and it was blast! I may even try commuting after I've practiced around the city a bit more!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I wish I lived somewhere that I felt safe riding a bicycle. But even when I see bike lines, it doesn't look that safe to me, not much space, fast traffic going by...not to mention the noise!
    I'm sort of a daredevil in general

Did you send them a copy of this post to let them know all the bad press they are getting?
    I totally should! No problem, their choice, but I was going to buy all the equipment - helmet, bell, locks, etc. - there, so I think they kinda lost out.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 10-09-2011 at 08:05 PM.

vCash
    Enjoy your new bike. Be careful!

vCash
    Enjoy the bike!. I had a nice ride in Central Park today.