Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Lea Salonga
    Me too! It will be virtually impossible to find another voice to sing Eponine's role, that comes close to Lea Salonga. And Judy Kuhn was brilliant as Cosette.

Maybe Lea Michelle could play Cosette, she played her as a child on broadway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    DRV as fantine? is this some sort of sequel or age progression?
    She played her in the latest revival.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    There's actually a movie musical of Les Mis currently in the works.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/

Hugh Jackman might be playing Jean Valjean
    Yay! I hope the scriptwriters do a better job with this version that the Uma Thurman one. The musical was fairly different from the book (or had a different character emphasis, anyway--with Eponine as a beloved hero and Cosette as the whiny two-dimensional brat, when the book was kinda opposite), but that film version was just a plain bad rendition. They mucked up the timing of Valjean's on-screen reveal to Cosette about his past. I was so disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Lea Salonga
    indeed!

Hey, Marius could totally be played by Boy Jonas!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    She played her in the latest revival.
    i can see it on stage but she will look too old on film imo
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i can see it on stage but she will look too old on film imo
    She was too old for the Rent film too. I was just responding to people who were saying they shouldn't cast Hollywood actors and just cast Broadway people and were angry about Anne Hathaway not being right for Fantine.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Unfortunately, most of the broadway stars who were brilliant in the roles, are too old to play them now. Even the Dream Cast would, mostly, be too old. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Mis...ast_in_Concert.
    I'm not talking about the Broadway stars who originated the roles. I'm talking about theatre trained actors and actresses who have been on Broadway in musicals (or at least have the talent to do so). I don't care if they were ever in Les Mis on broadway. Only that they are good enough to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Agree that Helena Bonham Carter can't sing to save her life, but "Madame" doesn't really have to sing well anyway, she just has to look clownish. And Carter does that, even when she's not in a role.
    She still has to sing on pitch though, even if it isn't supposed to be all that pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Well, I think Hathaway is both a fine singer and a good actress, so we'll see. She could either do it well or poorly. I'm not sure there would be any middle ground.
    I like Anne well enough although the last I hear her sing, it was only competent. It's just that everything about her feels wrong to me.

She was too old for the Rent film too. I was just responding to people who were saying they shouldn't cast Hollywood actors and just cast Broadway people and were angry about Anne Hathaway not being right for Fantine.
    I didn't say "just plop in the cast of the revival and go with it." I said cast Broadway people. I'm sorry, but the recent bunch of movie musicals proves that Hollywood is not casting Hollywood actors because they turn out to be excellent for the roles in the musical. They are casting Hollywood actors because they think that the Hollywood actors will sell tickets and they don't give a crap about whether or not they can sing the role. If a Hollywood actor can actually sing the part AND is actually right for the part, I'm fine with it. BUT that's not what people are doing. You can't just sing Les Mis because you feel like it. You need to have a trained voice to sing this show at the level necessary. So this film will most likely be crap just like the vast majority of recent movie musical.

vCash
    I'm just saying that Broadway productions don't always follow that standard either which is why I mentioned Daphne Rubin-Vega who was maligned for her performance.

vCash
    I'm just saying that Broadway productions don't always follow that standard either which is why I mentioned Daphne Rubin-Vega who was maligned for her performance.
    I never claimed that they did, so I guess we agree.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe? I'll go see it no matter who plays ANY of the other roles!

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324