Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    We were playing softball all day out next to Selfridge when the stuntman fell to his death. Right before it happened there we 2 aircraft almost on top of each other. I'm pretty sure this was one of the 3 attemps the guy had made to attemp to switch onto the other plane. Right after that there was nothing for an hour. Prayers to all.

vCash
    How awful! My thoughts and prayers to all.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Kasey, I thought of you as soon as I saw the headline. Hope it wasn't a bad night for you.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    3 dead, 56 injured, P51 Mustang appears to have lost part of a tail piece. 74 year old pilot veteran stunt pilot. Could have been much worse...pilot pulled up and away from the stands before crashing. I don't much like these air races, needless loss of life.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I don't much like these air races, needless loss of life.
    It's certainly tragic but not much in life is risk free.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    ^ RACING a vintage WW II aircraft has more risk than crossing the street. I like air SHOWS.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    ^ RACING a vintage WW II aircraft has more risk than crossing the street.
    Most activities do although plenty of people are killed crossing the street.

I like air SHOWS.
    Lots of people have been killed at air shows - probably more than at air races although I don't know have figures at hand.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Ya, I agree about the 80 year old pilot, I wonder if there was something wrong with him (heart attack) and if they could ever test for that.
    Nope. They are saying there was a problem with the tail thingie on the plane. The pilot MayDayed, and was pulling up out of the race, and then they went down. Poor man.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Two more died overnight. And the news is showing photos of the plane beginning to disintegrate in the tail prior to the crash (thus causing it).
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    There was one this summer in my city. The firebirds were so close to our houses(because the airport is at 5-10 minutes from here). Some friends didn't understand why I disagree with this kind of things, this is exactly the reason! A crash can happen anytime! I was afraid they crashed on a house or street and killing people!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    There was one this summer in my city. The firebirds were so close to our houses(because the airport is at 5-10 minutes from here). Some friends didn't understand why I disagree with this kind of things, this is exactly the reason! A crash can happen anytime! I was afraid they crashed on a house or street and killing people!
    Many accidents can happen under all sorts of conditions. Tragic, yes - completely preventable, no. Should we ban skiing because people die? Swimming? Hiking? Driving? Where does it end?

My thoughts are with those hurt and the families of those killed.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    ^ ITA!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Many accidents can happen under all sorts of conditions. Tragic, yes - completely preventable, no. Should we ban skiing because people die? Swimming? Hiking? Driving? Where does it end?
    Are you saying that we should never draw a line based on safety concerns? Swimming, hiking, and driving are not good comparisons. The Reno Air Races were controversial even before yesterday's tragedy. 19 people had been killed in previous races. More than one every three years. You don't see those statistics in driving, hiking, swimming, etc. If that many people were dying at a particular swimming competition, people would be seriously questioning it. Can you imagine if someone died at the World Figure Skating Championships that frequently? People would be questioning the safety of the events, especially if people who weren't even participating in the competition were being killed, injured, and endangered.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I agree. The frequency of deaths at this particular event is alarming. As Allskate said, average 1 death every 3 years is horrible. That isn't an accident here or there. Now the spectators are being killed, not just those who know the risks and do it anyway. Something has to be done. I am not saying to cancel the entire event or all events like it, but move the spectators further back, perhaps?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Oops.
    3539 and counting.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I think that the tragedy should be thoroughly investigated and hard questions asked. If there are safety issues at the Reno Air Race that the NTSB uncovers then they need to be addressed. I don't believe vintage air racing should be banned carte blanche which is what some seem to be suggesting.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    ^ Exactly, Brian. This wasn't a freak accident. These type of aircraft aren't inspected by the FAA like airliners are. They aren't required to have regular maintenance by a licensed mechanic. A 74 year old airline pilot would have had mandatory retirement at age 65.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    These type of aircraft aren't inspected by the FAA like airliners are. They aren't required to have regular maintenance by a licensed mechanic.
    They certainly are required to have regular maintenance and inspections under FAA guidelines and must maintain an airworthiness certificate.

http://www.vintageaircraft.org/infor...0Airplanes.pdf

http://www.tc.faa.gov/its/cmd/visito...430/aainsp.pdf
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Are you saying that we should never draw a line based on safety concerns? Swimming, hiking, and driving are not good comparisons. The Reno Air Races were controversial even before yesterday's tragedy. 19 people had been killed in previous races. More than one every three years. You don't see those statistics in driving, hiking, swimming, etc.
    In 2007, there was an average of 10 drownings per day - non-boating or sport-related. There have been 56 drivers killed at the Indianapolis Speedway alone. Ban swimming pools? Car racing?

Until this incident, the only people ever killed in the air races were pilots - surely people who signed up knowing the risks of the race. That spectators were involved in this crash was either a freak accident or a telling of how unprotected they are. I was surprised to see people on lawn chairs so close to the runway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    In 2007, there was an average of 10 drownings per day - non-boating or sport-related. There have been 56 drivers killed at the Indianapolis Speedway alone. Ban swimming pools? Car racing?
    Again, these numbers are not comparable. The Reno Air Races are held once a year, with an average of one death out of every three times the races are held. There are more total numbers of deaths in swimming and driving because there are so many more people swimming and more people driving. But, you can bet attitudes towards swimming would change if there was a drowning one out of every three times that someone was swimming. Similarly, if someone died in one out of three car races, there would be a lot more concern. In fact, according to your link, the number of driver deaths has decreased in recent years because they changed the safety rules after so many people were killed. The opposite seems to be happening with the Reno Air Races. There has been a rash of deaths in the last five years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast