Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Now 9 dead. RIP, God help the families.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Are you saying that we should never draw a line based on safety concerns? Swimming, hiking, and driving are not good comparisons. The Reno Air Races were controversial even before yesterday's tragedy. 19 people had been killed in previous races. More than one every three years. You don't see those statistics in driving, hiking, swimming, etc. If that many people were dying at a particular swimming competition, people would be seriously questioning it. Can you imagine if someone died at the World Figure Skating Championships that frequently? People would be questioning the safety of the events, especially if people who weren't even participating in the competition were being killed, injured, and endangered.
    ITA.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Another crash and death at a West Virginia Air show:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/17/wes...html?hpt=hp_t2

So sad.

vCash
    I have to ask the same question Kasey asked, why do they let these things go on. These are not air shows, they are (as Kasey pointed out) low flying races in vintage planes. Because they are flying so low, what are the chances of correcting for any kind of error or mechanical malfunction? I Googled this type of air show and was shocked to see how many crashes and deaths, over the years, have occurred at the Reno one, alone.

Don't know if this was already posted, but they are saying that there may have been a problem with the tail of the plane and that the pilot, managed to avoid hitting the grand stands.

vCash
    People are obviously willing to still go and watch.

vCash
    The pilot was a legend in this field.

Other pilots who witnessed the accident are saying that his decision to fly the disabled plane straight into the ground likely saved many lives.

vCash
    Here is an article from our local newspaper about a local (Phoenix) man with Muscular Dystrophy (in a wheel chair) who was killed in this accident:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...how-death.html

It's very sad. My deepest condolences to this family and to all others that lost loved ones.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Here is an article from our local newspaper about a local (Phoenix) man with Muscular Dystrophy (in a wheel chair) who was killed in this accident:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...how-death.html

It's very sad. My deepest condolences to this family and to all others that lost loved ones.
    Apparently his father was sitting right next to him and remains in critical condition. My sister who works at the trauma hospital said that two members of the same family each had a leg amputated. It's just horrific, and still some in critical enough condition that we don't know that the death toll has stabilized. I certainly hope so.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123