Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loving on babies!
    vCash

Crash at Reno Air Races

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines...129998428.html

I freaking hate these damn things. Every year, there is a fatal crash. This is the first year that it's taken civilian bystanders with it. Code Triage at all hospitals in the area. My prayers with those who are lost, and those who we may still lose, as I head in to work. Sigh.

Oh, and so far, 40 confirmed dead, over 100 injured. Why the hell do people go to these things?
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    How awful!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I hope you're able to help, Kasey.

I'm sure Kasey is getting better info than I am but MSNBC is saying 40 taken to local hospitals and no word on casualties. I'm not getting anything from that link.
    Last edited by milanessa; 09-17-2011 at 02:18 AM.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    So, so sad.

I always worry about the huge crowds at the Blue Angels shows in San Francisco and the possibility of a terrible crash. But, at least those are mostly modern planes with top notch pilots, not 80-year old pilots flying very old planes.

I was going to go up to Reno today. Glad I didn't.

ETA: MSNBC just showed the press conference. They aren't confirming deaths other than the pilot's, but will have another press conference at 7. Governor Sandoval is expected to be there and he may be able to release official info.

vCash
    If Kasey said it is Code Triage at all hospitals, then it is very bad. Another wise it would be Code Triage at the trauma hospitals only.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    If Kasey said it is Code Triage at all hospitals, then it is very bad.
    I'm sure it is.
    3539 and counting.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    We're downgraded to "standby" at the moment. My sister at the trauma center said they've admitted 40 so far, with more in the ER. And it seems the initially reported figures were on the high side, in terms of fatalities, thank god. Still awaiting what happens at our hospital for the next few hours before I'm allowed to go to work at my other job tonight.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Good thoughts sent your way.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Just a warning... While the video of this crash on most major news sites is pretty tame, there is some VERY graphic video of this out there, including video of people still alive (at the time) with limbs blown off and such. A friend sent me a link to a vid and didn't give me proper warning. Not a very pleasant thing to see.

vCash
    MSNBC saying that Renown hospital has confirmed two dead, nine more in critical condition at their hospital. The hospital in Sparks has people in serious or good condition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Why the hell do people go to these things?
    I love airshows. You know how watching skating in person is different from watching it on video? Same applies here. There is just something about seeing those babies live that is beautiful.

Now, I haven't been to one in a few years, but the ones I used to attend almost always had the 'exciting" action and tricks far enough away from the audience (and generally going in a direction ) that something like this was unlikely to happen (and pilots usually try to put extra distance between themselves and the audience when they know they are going to crash). At one (and only one) a jet crashed, but it was nowhere near close enough that the audience was in danger. All the others were accident free.

And the rule for flyovers at the shows I went to was that they could only be done "normally". In other words, normal speed, sufficient height, no tricks, etc. A buddy of mine who introduced me to the fun of airshows used to complain that they no longer allowed anything interesting to happen near the audience. I, on the other hand, was glad to hear that they didn't.

Edit: Of course, I realize there is a risk even with many precautions taken, but it certainly can and should be minimized.
    Last edited by Pierre; 09-17-2011 at 03:59 AM.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    This wasn't (isn't) an air show per se - it's an air race for vintage planes.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    This wasn't (isn't) an air show per se - it's an air race for vintage planes.
    Ah, OK.

BTW, the pilot was 80? Hmm.

vCash
    Another plane crash so soon! My condolences to the victims and their families. Horrible way to die.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Horrifying. I hope the reports are wrong and it isn't 40 dead. I watched the video on youtube but was afraid because I didn't want to come across the one Pierre saw.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Ya, I agree about the 80 year old pilot, I wonder if there was something wrong with him (heart attack) and if they could ever test for that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Horrifying. I hope the reports are wrong and it isn't 40 dead. I watched the video on youtube but was afraid because I didn't want to come across the one Pierre saw.
    The one I saw wasn't on Youtube, but it probably will make its way there. (Not sure what Youtube's policy is on graphic content that is real, so not sure how long it would stay up.)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I missed the first part of the press conference but they've corrected the pilot's age to 74.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Ya, I agree about the 80 year old pilot, I wonder if there was something wrong with him (heart attack) and if they could ever test for that.
    They most likely will be able to tell whether it was a malfunction, pilot error, etc. It's quite possible that something happened that would have had the same result with even a 20-year-old pilot, but the age naturally makes one wonder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I missed the first part of the press conference but they've corrected the pilot's age to 74.
    Thanks for the update.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast