Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    That's probably because USFS won't send her to Skate America
    Are you sure that's the case? Cesario wanted to go back to the JGP (this was reported at Liberty), probably because she could get more experience (2 or 3 competitions instead of 1) and world ranking points than one senior Grand Prix. Maybe also her coaches wanted her to get more experience (she only had two internationals prior to Poland) before moving her up to the senior international ranks.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Are you sure that's the case? Cesario wanted to go back to the JGP (this was reported at Liberty), probably because she could get more experience (2 or 3 competitions instead of 1) and world ranking points than one senior Grand Prix. Maybe also her coaches wanted her to get more experience (she only had two internationals prior to Poland) before moving her up to the senior international ranks.
    I said probably. (Remember two seasons before, Emily Hughes was chosen over her to Skate America?) If you don't have a proven track record at nationals do not apply. That's USFS for you.

Based on current USFS selection criteria I would choose JGP too. That's my best ticket to GP. Had senior Bs played a bigger role that might have been different

vCash
    Is there a reason why Lipnitskaya is doing Dark Eyes AND Romeo and Juliet by Rota?
    Although she has better jumps than Cohen did, Lipnitskaya really needs better choreo. Also, she needs to work on her spin positions. She needs to point her toes as well. It kills her line otherwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Is there a reason why Lipnitskaya is doing Dark Eyes AND Romeo and Juliet by Rota?
    Although she has better jumps than Cohen did, Lipnitskaya really needs better choreo. Also, she needs to work on her spin positions. She needs to point her toes as well. It kills her line otherwise.
    I think she did a good job for a 13 year old skater and she progressed substantially since last year. Yes, she could improve her layback position, but i don't think she is going to lose levels for that. i don't know what you were watching since some of the positions in her spin have never been done before. I am sure those will receive very high GOEs from the judges. One think Lipnitskkaya has over cohen is some clean competitions were she did not fall on the ice.

YEAH!
    vCash
    It's not so uncommon for juniors to do that. Pechalat & Bourzat used to skate to Anissina & Peizerat's old programs and Pang & Tong used to do the same with Shen & Zhao's. Granted those pairs were from the same country/coaches but I bet Sasha Cohen is an inspiration to a lot of little Russian girls considering her background. I hope Lipnitskaya becomes more creative over the years but she's off to a good start... this is her first junior eligible season!

vCash
    I feel like the scores were a bit inflated for the last group here. Julia was good but 112 seems a little over-the-top, and Miyahara is VERY junior so 105 also seems steep considering her jumps barely left the ice. Samantha's marks were fair, could have even been higher, but I feel like Polina S. and especially Risa were underscored at their events in comparison to the skaters here. If Julia gets 112 for a performance it's a joke that Risa and Polina get around 10 points lower for skates with similar technical content and more maturity .

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't think the scores matter, pinky, unless they get into a score tiebreak in deciding who goes to Quebec City.

Polina will have at least another chance to score high if not more

vCash
    Pinky, I agree but I do not have a problem with Lipnitskaia at 112+. She deserves it with 7 triples and L4 spins. I don't have a problem with Hicks' score either (if anything, it should be lower ), but I do have a problem with Shoji's marks. She should have won her event with a really big number. She was a bit shafted. Miyahara was pretty generously scored as well, but her program was more difficult than Cesario's, technically. I don't have a big problem with her being ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    I think she did a good job for a 13 year old skater and she progressed substantially since last year. Yes, she could improve her layback position, but i don't think she is going to lose levels for that. i don't know what you were watching since some of the positions in her spin have never been done before. I am sure those will receive very high GOEs from the judges. One think Lipnitskkaya has over cohen is some clean competitions were she did not fall on the ice.
    However, if she wants to get o the next level, she needs to point her toes. Even on those really hard spins.

vCash
    Lipnitskaia was also reported to have really good speed by people who were there. She's coming along great.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    However, if she wants to get o the next level, she needs to point her toes. Even on those really hard spins.
    Are you for real? Truly, people see only what they want to see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    ...and turn Junior Grand Prix into the second-rate Senior Grand Prix, right? We can see it almost every year already at Junior Worlds when senior skaters who weren't good enough to make a senior team get the trip to JW as a consolation prize and the real juniors stay home
    Then raise the minimum age on the SGP as well.

vCash
    If Julia gets 112 for a performance it's a joke that Risa and Polina get around 10 points lower for skates with similar technical content and more maturity .
    Julia is a significantly better spinner than both of them, and her jumps are much neater than Shoji's, whose jumps look borderline UR all the time.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    18 for junior GP seems a bit 'old' to me. By age 18, a skater should have matured quite a bit. Katarina Witt won her first OGM at 18, and even had a mature presentation at the senior level!

IMO 17 should be the limit for juniors. When a skater turns 18 he/she should not be allowed in juniors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Julia is a significantly better spinner than both of them, and her jumps are much neater than Shoji's, whose jumps look borderline UR all the time.
    I just got done watching the top 3. I really like Julia Lipnitskaya. I hope puberty will not derail her career. She reminds me of a young Sasha Cohen, but with stronger muscles.

Cesario looks very mature, which is not surprising. She does some nice things presentation wise but is not a particularly good spinner.

Miyahara is cute. Like Julia, I hope puberty will not create problems for her.

Banned Member
    vCash
    It's practically impossible to compare Miyahara to Cesario. Cesario's height on her jumps is amazing, and Miyahara barely gets off the ice. Miyahara does have that Suguri-like landing edge.

I've been a fan of Lipnitskaya's since I first saw vids of her two years ago. She appears to have grown and gotten stronger. Not a fan of her axel technique and I suppose it's due to junior time constraints but she just packed way too many leg grabs and quick bendy moves to really make a nice program. But her jumps appear to be stronger this year, which is good, and I love that she skates with a nice back. I've really been impressed with the juniors so far this year. We hardly ever see this difficulty at senior worlds anymore.

vCash
    Will Lipnitskaya still be a jumping bean after her growth spurt? Something tells me no and the same goes with her flexibility. To many 13 year old's look like world beaters but we know what happens soon after.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Will Lipnitskaya still be a jumping bean after her growth spurt? Something tells me no and the same goes with her flexibility. To many 13 year old's look like world beaters but we know what happens soon after.
    She has grown 11 cm in one year and her jumps got bigger. You would know that if you have followed this specific beater. Flexibility never left Sasha Cohen, even though she never had the jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    What is this on here? The Samantha Cesario fan club? Lipnitskaya and Miyahara are juniors, look like juniors, skate like juniors, and come complete with all of the faults and skating immaturities of juniors. Remember, this is a Junior competition. For all that, they skated absolutely brilliantly and were well deserving of the marks they received. Lipnitskaya is the class act of this years JGP. Being only 13 years old and given how well they skated, both Lipnitskaya and Miyahara have huge potential to go and be fantastic seniors.

As for Samantha Cesario, she is 18 years old!! What is she still doing competing in juniors??? People say that her presentation is more mature than the other juniors. Well, given that she is 18 years old and should be in seniors, it jolly well ought to be. She is an excellent skater. There is no doubt about that. But, the mark she got was all that her performances deserved. The judges got it absolutely spot on. The fact of the matter is, both Lipnitskaya and Miyahara outskated her and deserved to be 1st and 2nd respectively. The suggestion that Cesario should have won is completely ridiculous

As stated, I really don't think Cesario and other 18 year olds should be in the juniors. They should be in the seniors. I think the upper age limit for juniors should be 16 and juniors should be competing only with juniors.
    The last time I checked, junior wasn't defined as "pre-pubescent 13-year old" either.

Chill out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    The last time I checked, junior wasn't defined as "pre-pubescent 13-year old" either.

Chill out.
    Whatever it means, it certainly shouldn't encompass fully grown 18 year old women who belong in seniors. In my view, junior competitions should be strictly confined to those skaters who are not age eligible to enter senior competitions. That is, a junior in my mind is a skater who is not age eligible to compete as a senior. That way, there is a clear demarcation between the two. You simply should not have seniors competing in junior comepetitions simply because they are not good enough to qualify for senior competitions. For one thing, it unfairly deprives real juniors of places in junior competitions and deprives them of valuable experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast