Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 74
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    47686

    JGP Baltic Cup 2011 - Ladies - Result & Videos

    Result & videos from the ladies event at the JGP Baltic Cup 2011:-

    1st Julia Lipnitskaya - 172.51 - RUS (Easily winning both SP and FS - superb performance)

    Short Program

    Free Skate

    2nd Satoko Miyahara - 162.20 - JPN

    Short Program

    Free Skate

    3rd Samantha Cesario - 153.84 - USA

    Short Program

    Free Skate

    4th Miu Sato - 135.60 - JPN

    Short Program

    Free Skate

    5th Kate Charbonneau - 128.66 - CAN

    Short Program

    Free Skate

    Leading Points Scorers After 3 Events

    1. Julia Lipnitskaya - RUS - 172.51

    2. Satoko Miyahara - JPN - 162.20

    3. Samantha Cesario - USA - 153.84

    4. Polina Shelepen - RUS - 153.40

    5. Courtney Hicks - USA - 151.91

    Comparisons With The 2010/11 Season

    1. Adelina Sotnikova - 178.97 - RUS

    2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - 172.78 - RUS

    3. Julia Lipnitskaya - 172.51 - RUS

    4. Christina Gao - 167.14 - USA

    5. Satoko Miyahara - 162.20 - JPN

    What a performance by Lipnitskaya. Russia have got 3 superstars on there hands in Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, and Lipnitskaya. Lipnitskaya will be eligible to compete at the Worlds and in the Olympics during the 2013/14 season. Something tells me that both Alena Leonova and Ksenia Makarova will struggle to make it into the Russian figure skating team for the Olympics in their home country!

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    See, this is where the scoring system bugs me. Cesario has a higher total score than Hicks, Shelepen, Shoji, and Li, yet she is behind them because her event was the hardest. I've been saying it for years, but I think this needs revision.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    How old is Lipnitskaya. She looks about 13.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    73
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    How old is Lipnitskaya. She looks about 13.
    Well, she is 13. Japanese Satoko Miyahara (silver) is also 13 but looks considerably younger!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sequinsgalore View Post
    Well, she is 13. Japanese Satoko Miyahara (silver) is also 13 but looks considerably younger!
    Yeah, Julia has grown quite a bit since last season when she looked very young, though of course at 151 cm (4'11"), she's likely got quite a bit of growing ahead of her. Miyahara is SOO tiny, like tinier than Polina Agafonova 2 seasons ago, she's so cute .

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,017
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Miyahara looks about 9.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,069
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Lipnitskaya has all the potential in the world, and 2 2axel3toes is genius under COP. But she really needs to hold out her moves and skate less hecticly.

    It's hard to see if Miyahara's jumps ever left the ice. I thought she would get massive <s. Oh well.

    Cesario's skating is so beautiful. Most enjoyable skater of the competition for me. A little more projection and confidence will go a LONG way.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lipnitskaya has all the potential in the world, and 2 2axel3toes is genius under COP. But she really needs to hold out her moves and skate less hecticly.

    It's hard to see if Miyahara's jumps ever left the ice. I thought she would get massive <s. Oh well.

    Cesario's skating is so beautiful. Most enjoyable skater of the competition for me. A little more projection and confidence will go a LONG way.

    I really like Cesario’s program, especially the first cut of music, the hugeness of her jumps. She even has a costume that both fits the theme and is not excessively fussy. This is my favorite program through the 3 JGP’s so far.

    One question though--is she nursing an injury? At some points in the long program she looked like she was in pain. Her stroking also looks a lot more labored than I recalled it looking at the summer competition (Liberty, was it?)

    Yulia L. is clearly a kick-ass skater, but can someone help me understand why she was wearing mittens? What does that have to do with the Romeo and Juliet theme? If they were red gloves, I could at least imagine that Juliet had dipped her hands in Tybalt’s blood and was having an angst filled exploration of her burgeoning passion for Romeo…

    Miyahara is quite a talent, but for me a riddle. On the one hand the jumps don’t look very big. On the other hand the flow she gets out of them reminds me of Fumie Suguri’s jumps in better days. Suguri is the only skater whom I’ve ever watched for her jumps, the amazing flow she got coming out of them. Miyahara really looks like she’s all of 8 or 9 years old, which is why her scent of a woman exhibition program made me a bit uncomfortable. Still, a talent to watch.

    How about Miu Sato with those huge jumps? How are they so big when she slows down and stalks them—I would think losing speed would hurt her ability to achieve height and distance in her jumps.

    ETA
    forgot to thank Monica S. for my Maria Butyrskaya flashbacks. Beautiful camel spins

  9. #9
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,694
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post
    Yulia L. is clearly a kick-ass skater, but can someone help me understand why she was wearing mittens? What does that have to do with the Romeo and Juliet theme? If they were red gloves, I could at least imagine that Juliet had dipped her hands in Tybalt’s blood and was having an angst filled exploration of her burgeoning passion for Romeo…

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lipnitskaya has all the potential in the world, and 2 2axel3toes is genius under COP. But she really needs to hold out her moves and skate less hecticly.

    It's hard to see if Miyahara's jumps ever left the ice. I thought she would get massive <s. Oh well.

    Cesario's skating is so beautiful. Most enjoyable skater of the competition for me. A little more projection and confidence will go a LONG way.
    Just watched all three for the second time and ITA on all accounts. Cesario should be used as an example to all skaters on how to use your arms in a graceful and controlled manner. She was way robbed in PCS, should have been miles above Miyahara and slightly ahead of Lipnitskaya IMO.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    401
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Just watched top 4...

    Julia Lipnitskaya is the bendy jumping bean! She rotates so fast in the air, but I think she'll have under-rotation issues when the puberty monster brings her actual hips. Not to mention, that her flexibility and totally insane. She WILL lose it or suffer from a long life of back problems. Even though she does those feats so effortlessly, I can't imagine the pain it causes... But, will all the flexibility in the world, she still hits some ugly positions in her spins. The Russian BBs need to get rid of the one-handed-wannabe-bielmann that they love to do. It's fugly. (that's a period ). her layback looks incredibly stiff. And her arm position in her spins ruin some of the beauty that the rest of her body makes Her PCS scores also boggle my mind. Why were her interpretation and choreography scores so high? I saw no artistry in the program and weak choreography that didn't really match the music or it's story. Overall, she definitely uses COP to her advantage though.

    The japanese girls are so kawaii!!! Miu Sato looked like an Ando-jr and Satako Miyahara looked like a Suzuki-jr. I seriously think Miyahara will be devoured by the puberty monster though. She doesn't have much flexibility for a girl with her body type and her jumps dont get much air. She does have nice step sequences. OTOH, Sato has huge jumps! Both of there spins were quite forgettable though. But, both of these girls are still very behind Ando and Suzuki. Need more work on artistry too.

    Samantha Cesario uses her arms beautifully! She deserves very high scores for presentation. She seems like an all around skater. Loved her Black Swan program (much better than Wagner's hyped one...). Looking forward to see more of her. She has very technique on most of her jumps, but her salchow looks very bad. As in, the technique will not be very nice to her, it looks both underrotated because of the lack of height because it looks like she only jumps with one leg. She should really work on her salchow or change the jump... Other than her transition mark (which she could work on), she was PCS robbed here. I would have had Cesario over Miyahara.


    And... does anyone think that the judges are being generous with scores a little bit early this year? Shelepen, Li, and Agafnova were underscored in the first event in comparison. And Risa Shoji was still so robbed of points... I can't stop remembering Vanessa Lam's bad fall at the end of her program, that was super loud yet in-sync with the beat of her program. cringe-worthy...

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    And... does anyone think that the judges are being generous with scores a little bit early this year?
    Yeah, I do. Compared to Riga and Brisbane, these girls recieved rather generous scores. And judges in previous events were way stricter about UR and DR.

    That is why I have nothing against this scoring and qualifying system.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,341
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    47686
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Just watched all three for the second time and ITA on all accounts. Cesario should be used as an example to all skaters on how to use your arms in a graceful and controlled manner. She was way robbed in PCS, should have been miles above Miyahara and slightly ahead of Lipnitskaya IMO.
    What is this on here? The Samantha Cesario fan club? Lipnitskaya and Miyahara are juniors, look like juniors, skate like juniors, and come complete with all of the faults and skating immaturities of juniors. Remember, this is a Junior competition. For all that, they skated absolutely brilliantly and were well deserving of the marks they received. Lipnitskaya is the class act of this years JGP. Being only 13 years old and given how well they skated, both Lipnitskaya and Miyahara have huge potential to go and be fantastic seniors.

    As for Samantha Cesario, she is 18 years old!! What is she still doing competing in juniors??? People say that her presentation is more mature than the other juniors. Well, given that she is 18 years old and should be in seniors, it jolly well ought to be. She is an excellent skater. There is no doubt about that. But, the mark she got was all that her performances deserved. The judges got it absolutely spot on. The fact of the matter is, both Lipnitskaya and Miyahara outskated her and deserved to be 1st and 2nd respectively. The suggestion that Cesario should have won is completely ridiculous

    As stated, I really don't think Cesario and other 18 year olds should be in the juniors. They should be in the seniors. I think the upper age limit for juniors should be 16 and juniors should be competing only with juniors.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 09-17-2011 at 12:33 PM.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    61
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    julia is very musical, but she needs better choreograpy imho

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    20
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It is Figure Skating! You can't really compare numbers. The PCS relies on the panel THAT day! Even the element score is subject to the panel but not so much.
    Brisbane was not generous on PCS, but come the TES:
    Hicks: 55.04
    Lam: 51.90 (with a fall)
    Cessario: 51.86

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just watched all 3 of the videos and this has nothing to do with a Samantha Cesario fan club. It has to do with calling it as you see it, Samantha's PCS should be by far higher than the other 2. No one is saying she would have been the winner if they were. Although IMO I think she is a whole package skater.

    BTW as for her age, Samantha had to withdraw from last years Nationals due to a back injury and she trained very hard to be able to even be considered for a GP event at all. As we know your considered for a GP from how well you do at Nationals. When asked she has said that she was very happy that she did make the age requirement for JGP to give her international exposure. IMO they should leave the age of 18 and raise the min. age since these poor girls are being pushed so hard to get triples earlier than 12 and causing injuries.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,702
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just watched Shoma Uno... He is still tiny!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QApQhy_ytoE

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    423
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8npro View Post
    IMO they should leave the age of 18 and raise the min. age
    ...and turn Junior Grand Prix into the second-rate Senior Grand Prix, right? We can see it almost every year already at Junior Worlds when senior skaters who weren't good enough to make a senior team get the trip to JW as a consolation prize and the real juniors stay home

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    What is this on here? The Samantha Cesario fan club? Lipnitskaya and Miyahara are juniors, look like juniors, skate like juniors, and come complete with all of the faults and skating immaturities of juniors. Remember, this is a Junior competition. For all that, they skated absolutely brilliantly and were well deserving of the marks they received. Lipnitskaya is the class act of this years JGP. Being only 13 years old and given how well they skated, both Lipnitskaya and Miyahara have huge potential to go and be fantastic seniors.

    As for Samantha Cesario, she is 18 years old!! What is she still doing competing in juniors??? People say that her presentation is more mature than the other juniors. Well, given that she is 18 years old and should be in seniors, it jolly well ought to be. She is an excellent skater. There is no doubt about that. But, the mark she got was all that her performances deserved. The judges got it absolutely spot on. The fact of the matter is, both Lipnitskaya and Miyahara outskated her and deserved to be 1st and 2nd respectively. The suggestion that Cesario should have won is completely ridiculous

    As stated, I really don't think Cesario and other 18 year olds should be in the juniors. They should be in the seniors. I think the upper age limit for juniors should be 16 and juniors should be competing only with juniors.
    That's your opinion and that's fine, but the fact is that she IS allowed in juniors, and like it or not, her presentation is miles ahead of Miyahara. You're suggesting that the judges should score the two under separate age criteria which is totally bonkers. You have to score the actual performance of the actual skater as it happens, no biases allowed. Most of us aren't saying Cesario should have won, just that her PCS marks were too low comparatively, and she should have perhaps been one place higher.

  20. #20
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,694
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    As stated, I really don't think Cesario and other 18 year olds should be in the juniors. They should be in the seniors. I think the upper age limit for juniors should be 16 and juniors should be competing only with juniors.
    I think 17 may be a reasonable upper limit, but then had that changed, USFS would have to sign up for more senior B internationals and there may not be enough spots for all the talented 18 year-olds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    As for Samantha Cesario, she is 18 years old!! What is she still doing competing in juniors???
    That's probably because USFS won't send her to Skate America
    Last edited by jlai; 09-17-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •