Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Give Chan, Abbott and Takahashi maximum scores and the rest, all -3.
    I think Takahiko Kozuka's footwork is way more deserving than a -3!

vCash

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by periperi View Post
    I think Takahiko Kozuka's footwork is way more deserving than a -3!

Haha, yeah I know there are other great skaters, Kozuka among them (he is one of my faves). I was exaggerating. But I would say that most of the SL FW makes me uncomfortable and anxious, like just get this awful thing over with. It's like a bad uncentered poorly positioned spin that goes on for 40 seconds. Eventually you just have to look away until it's over.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    I'd like to see a time limit, like the rule for ice dance lifts, to encourage faster footwork.

vCash
    This IJS footwork is probably the biggest complaint I have with skating right now. I dread when most skaters get to the side of the rink and I know it's coming. I usually FF through it if I'm watching on tape.

I don't like the pause- time for steps now motion. Steps take forever. I wish there was such a thing as straight line step sequences. There is no such thing anymore. There are some classics of SLSS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I'd like to see a time limit, like the rule for ice dance lifts, to encourage faster footwork.
    Hopefully after having to sit through Leonova's SP sequence, the ISU is going to impose it from next season.

Because it really is getting ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Should there be different time limits -- and also different base marks -- for straight-line, circular, and serpentine?

Or should we just accept it as a fait accompli that straight-line and serpentine are now the same thing and set a time limit that will allow a full serpentine without a lot of extra subloops?

vCash
    This IJS footwork is probably the biggest complaint I have with skating right now. I dread when most skaters get to the side of the rink and I know it's coming. I usually FF through it if I'm watching on tape.
    ITA! It just makes me want to rip off my monitor! That's one of reasons I was so frustrated watching top ladies from last season..

I cannot think of one female skater whose FW sequence transcends the silly requirements. It's like "Oh god, here's 40 seconds of my life I will never get back...".
    well clearly I can't be totally impartial on this but on the top of my head, Kim's Danse Macabre, Concerto in F?

vCash
    Well, from the ladies, my favorite is probably Carolina Kostner's from this past LP :

Carolina's Afternoon of a faun (right after the fabulous spiral sequence)

Stephane Lambiel and Patrick Chan are my favorite male skaters when it comes to step sequences.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Should there be different time limits -- and also different base marks -- for straight-line, circular, and serpentine?

Or should we just accept it as a fait accompli that straight-line and serpentine are now the same thing and set a time limit that will allow a full serpentine without a lot of extra subloops?
    I think there is no need to make serpentine extra longer like there is with the straight line.

The pattern itself is long enough to do all the footwork for Lv3/4.

vCash
    I agree with anyone who mentioned the step sequences of Takahashi, Abbott, Chan, Kim, and Suzuki. They're all sublime.

One I've always loved that hasn't been mentioned yet is Sasha Cohen's Dark Eyes. I know her footwork doesn't have good edges, but I thought the steps worked well in this program. She used the music perfectly and the footwork really built up the performance.

I also loved Joannie Rochette's La Cumparsita footwork. It seemed more elegant than a lot of the overly busy footwork.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I think there is no need to make serpentine extra longer like there is with the straight line.

The pattern itself is long enough to do all the footwork for Lv3/4.
    I mean the amount of time allowed, IF you're going to impose a time limit, as Louis suggested.

The pattern of a basic serpentine step sequence covers a lot more ice than the pattern of a basic straight-line step sequence.

So if you set a low maximum time, let's say 15 seconds, and charge a penalty for exceeding the limit, then only the very fastest skaters in the world will be able to earn at least level 2 and avoid the penalty on straight-line sequences, and not even they will be able to do so with serpentine sequences -- most skaters won't even be able to complete a level 1 serpentine sequence within that amount of time.

If you set a higher maximum time, let's say 25 or 30 seconds, to allow an average junior skater to complete a serpentine sequence, then faster skaters could choose to do straightline sequences and use the time to weave curves around the straight-line axis without violating the time limit, so you'd still have to watch straight-line sequences that don't go in pure straight lines from the skaters most likely to be televised.

vCash
    Deleted
    Last edited by giselle23; 09-25-2011 at 07:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I mean the amount of time allowed, IF you're going to impose a time limit, as Louis suggested.

The pattern of a basic serpentine step sequence covers a lot more ice than the pattern of a basic straight-line step sequence.
    Yes, that's what I meant.

The reason why straight line step sequences go on forever is because skaters go back and back and back and back again, in order to make sure they perform all the required steps.

Serpentine sequences don't need be made any longer. The pattern itself is long enough.

So if you set the limit for a serpentine, it would allow the skaters doing the straightline to extend it a bit, but not as much as some of the skaters (Leonova's SP ) are doing nowaday.

If it makes any sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    So beautiful to watch.... best step sequence & best program of Yuna IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12