View Poll Results: Who was the greatest MEN's singles figure skater never to become Olympic champion?

Voters
326. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Browning

196 60.12%
  • Jeff Buttle

3 0.92%
  • Toller Cranston

11 3.37%
  • Brian Orser

28 8.59%
  • Elvis Stojko

6 1.84%
  • Brian Joubert

6 1.84%
  • Stephane Lambiel

48 14.72%
  • Todd Eldredge

9 2.76%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

13 3.99%
  • Other, please name!

6 1.84%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Urmanov landed it once (I think it was 1992) and did not attempt it again, AFAIK.
    He also landed it at Euros and Worlds in 1991. That said, I can't think of any time after the 1992 Olympics in which he did.

ETA: Urmanov did attempt the 4T on at least three other occasions: 1993 Worlds, 1994 Worlds, and 1997 Euros.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 09-17-2011 at 04:33 AM.

vCash
    I am not even a Stojko fan (though I always respected him), but your post made me refute your points.

The skaters that landed the quad before Stojko were very few and they did not land it frequently the way he did.

Joseph Sabavcek (sp?)- not ratified (though it should have been)

Kurt Browning - 1988 worlds- ratified, but had a turnout on the landing. At 1989 worlds he two footed it.

Boitano attempted it at the 1988 worlds but came away short of rotations.

Urmanov landed it once (I think it was 1992) and did not attempt it again, AFAIK.

Stojko made the quad routine in his skating, which inspired younger skaters like Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko to learn it at a young age.

Also Stojko was the first to land a quad in combination.

Stojko was creative in the sense he had his own style, which was athletic. He did not try to become an elegant skater, which he was not.
    This is why I voted for Stojko but I wasn't going to originally- he just no votes so I threw him one because of the above.

vCash
    Brian Orser was just brilliant at the 84 Olympics. A sick Scott H skated like a parody of himself (except for figures), but Brian really shone.

Yet I picked Kurt, even though he became a GREAT skater only after turning pro.

vCash
    Of those on the list, I think its Toller Cranston, without a doubt. And, if Johnny Weir wouldn't be considered by some as one of the greatest (to never win an Olympic medal), he's certainly one of the most talented and influential men's singles skaters of his era. I would also have included Alexander Abt on this list (sans his injuries, he probably would have accomplished much more in his career). Clearly AA is one of the sexiest men's singles skaters, IMHO.

I'm very surprised Toller doesn't have more votes, but I definitely understand why many would choose Kurt Browning.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    As much as I like Todd, I also loved Timothy Goebel. I know some who would remember a certain message board where we used to pick about Todd and Tim, and I liked both of them. I always loved Tim's quad!
    Editing to add that I meant Tim never won Gold. I hope that counts.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I knew it would be a huge gigantic landslide for Browning and it is a dserved landslide so I voted for Stojko because he had no votes. So many times a world champion and twice Olympic silver medalist and a total jumping revolutionary! And he did totally unique and creative programs that no one even thought of doing!
    Um, you do know that there were people doing your beloved quad before Stojko did it, right?

And I can't recall "creative" being an adjective that was used too often to describe Stojko's programs.
    I don't know, Stojko did have a unique style and while I don't feel he showed great range, he did stand out with some of his programs. While his skating certainly can't be everyone's cup of tea, he deserves credit for that, as well as for what he accomplished on the technical side.

I went with Kurt; considering all that he did in his career, it defies belief that never even medalled at the Olympics.

vCash
    Kurt Browning, of course !
    Very good skills, innovative and versatile. Plus, 4 world titles and no olympic medal, what a shock !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvilledancer View Post
    Brian Orser was just brilliant at the 84 Olympics. A sick Scott H skated like a parody of himself (except for figures), but Brian really shone.

Yet I picked Kurt, even though he became a GREAT skater only after turning pro.
    So, you don't consider his 3Axel combos, 3Sal/3Loop, his 4 World titles, his 1994 SP (Saint-Louis blues) or 1993 LP (Casablanca) as GREAT ?

I already loved him as an amateur, and I've loved him even more as a pro !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    So, you don't consider his 3Axel combos, 3Sal/3Loop, his 4 World titles, his 1994 SP (Saint-Louis blues) or 1993 LP (Casablanca) as GREAT ?

I already loved him as an amateur, and I've loved him even more as a pro !
    As an amateur I think Kurt also had three - triple/triple jumps in one program, 1991????
    I believe he was the first to do that.

vCash
    I would have to say Kurt Browning for sure based on all he won in the past and how brilliant he was. He could turn a non-fan into a fan, glued to their tv. He could jump, skate to the music, do innovative footwork, draw a crowd, and make you laugh. He had it all didn't he? His mastering of footwork and music is only matched by Yags imo.

In my dreams it would also be Alexander Abt. He was such a beautiful skater such a shame all the injuries. Also would have loved to see Johnny Weir win.
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 09-17-2011 at 07:47 PM.

vCash
    I voted Lambiel, but also all the Canadian gentlemen had a style of their own, very different from each other.

But why is Joubert on this poll? He is still continuing. And Takahashi, too.

vCash
    Another special accomplishment of Browning's is being the only skater to win gold (wc or oly) with and without figures, two of each in fact.

Only Ito (gold 89 and silver in Albertville) and Petrenko (silver in 89 and 90 and gold in 92 wc and oly) come close to having that.

He was maybe on the small side to be a pairs skater but he completely excelled at everything else. If they had solo dance back then I'm sure he could win that too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Another special accomplishment of Browning's is being the only skater to win gold (wc or oly) with and without figures, two of each in fact.

Only Ito (gold 89 and silver in Albertville) and Petrenko (silver in 89 and 90 and gold in 92 wc and oly) come close to having that.

He was maybe on the small side to be a pairs skater but he completely excelled at everything else. If they had solo dance back then I'm sure he could win that too.
    Good point. Petrenko also won a bronze in 1988 (Oly & worlds), meaning with figures.

vCash
    Had The Grand Prima Donna Of Whine, Supreme Diva Emanuel Sandhu, EVER, EVER lived up to his untapped potential, it would have been him.

vCash
    I didn't get to see Sandhu skate that much, but I remember Plushenko being asked in 2006 who his greatest competition for the OGM was, and he said if he ever got it together and skate cleanly Sandhu would hard to beat.

vCash
    Browning sure did have it all (and he's still skating, luckily for us).

Here's his wonderful Singing in the Rain number, from his "You Must Remember This" TV special.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtd7xq7URM

I remember an interview with Toller Cranston, in which he talked a bit about Kurt. Toller said that normally he never watched Kurt's TV specials, since he'd never been hired to skate in them (love Toller...he didn't mind saying things like that ), but one day Toller was flipping channels, and saw Kurt's "Singing in the Rain" number and thought...OK, the rest of us (male skaters) should just give up now, Kurt has done it all.

Eventually they became good friends, and Kurt and Sonia visited Toller in Mexico at one point.

vCash
    Doesn't change your overall point, but for the record Urmanov did land and attempt quads a little more than that.

1991 Europeans (I believe -- can't find verification on youtube)

1991 Worlds (hard to tell it's a quad in the program but see slow motion afterward)

1991 Lalique

1992 Europeans (according to commentary in next clip)

1992 Olympics (hand down and probably <)

1997 Champions Series Final (historic occasion of first time three skaters landed ratified quads in the same competition, one being Stojko's first clean 4T+3T)

I could also name at least two or three other occasions when he tried and fell.

vCash
    I voted for Browning

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Had The Grand Prima Donna Of Whine, Supreme Diva Emanuel Sandhu, EVER, EVER lived up to his untapped potential, it would have been him.
    I feel this way about the late Christopher Bowman. I remember years ago Kurt Browning made some complimentary remarks about Bowman-something along the lines of if Christopher had ever gotten his sh!t together he might've given Browning something to worry about.

Write in vote for Bowman. RIP.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 09-18-2011 at 08:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    And, if Johnny Weir wouldn't be considered by some as one of the greatest (to never win an Olympic medal), he's certainly one of the most talented and influential men's singles skaters of his era.
    Talented, yes. Great, no. Johnny had some of the best jump landings I've ever seen and was a beautiful skater with an organic ability. But he never really developed.

And I don't think he was very influential - he has not left any mark on the sport that I can see.

I would also have included Alexander Abt on this list (sans his injuries, he probably would have accomplished much more in his career). Clearly AA is one of the sexiest men's singles skaters, IMHO.
    Hard to say whether Abt would have become great. I do agree that he was very good looking, but I didn't find him particularly sexy.

There was a video of him drunk and bleeding after an altercation on a plane posted on You Tube some time ago. It was really sad and I had to wonder whether booze got the better of him, his good looks, and his talent.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast