Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ Dang it, you quoted me before I had a chance to fix my typos!
    Sorry I hate when that happens too.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Apparently she was so distraught about

Spoiler

that she didn't want anything to do with the project.
    I accidentally scrolled over the spoiler tag. I knew I should have finished this series last year so I wouldn't accidentally be spoiled.

Prediction:

Spoiler

Off to find out if I'm right.

vCash
    Just to prepare yourself, Different Seasons isn't a novel, it's 4 novellas. Of which I thought 1 was superb ("The Body," which was the basis for the movie Stand By Me), 2 pretty good, and 1 meh. But it has been a long time since I read them ...

But IMO, Salem's Lot is not King's best (tho not his worst either). So if you liked it, you're bound to like others. Unless you're looking for more vampires.
    Yes, I know Different Seasons is not a novel. I mentioned Salem's Lot because it's the only King book I've read. What's your favourite book of his, by the way?

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Yes, I know Different Seasons is not a novel. I mentioned Salem's Lot because it's the only King book I've read. What's your favourite book of his, by the way?
    I like his older stuff....Christine and Cujo were quite good, and I read all 1200 or so pages of The Stand in one night...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    But IMO, Salem's Lot is not King's best (tho not his worst either). So if you liked it, you're bound to like others. Unless you're looking for more vampires.
    The Stand is one of my favorite novels of all time. I've read the original and the expanded, and I read them both very quickly.

I also like Eyes of the Dragon, Cell (zombies ), Under the Dome (though the whole book falls apart in the last ten pages because, imo, King couldn't figure out how to end it) and Dolores Claiborne.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    The Stand is one of my favorite novels of all time. I've read the original and the expanded, and I read them both very quickly.
    I'm with you on The Stand.

I'm also a fan of The Dark Tower series.

vCash
    There's some great news for Kindle owners. Yesterday, libraries across the US introduced lending for the Kindle!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    I take backmy recommendation for the Blood series by Tanya Huff. Ending to Book 4 put it on life support, and book 5 staked it, cut off its head and left it in the sun to burn. I don't think I'm even going to finish.

I'm so irate, I'm feeling a need to write some really awful fanfic to correct her mistakes.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    There's some great news for Kindle owners. Yesterday, libraries across the US introduced lending for the Kindle!
    Wheeee!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I mentioned Salem's Lot because it's the only King book I've read. What's your favourite book of his, by the way?
    Definitely The Stand. One of my favourite books of all time, not just favourite King. Partly because I love post-apocalyptic fiction, and partly because I prefer my horror more on the psychological / spiritual side rather than "monsters."

Other Kings I'd give a "highly recommend" to would be his short story collections (there are a few), The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Firestarter, Misery, Eyes of the Dragon, The Dark Half, Hearts in Atlantis, The Dead Zone, and The Talisman.

Oh, and I had forgotten that "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" was in Different Seasons, so revise my earlier review to 2 superb novellas and 2 ok ones.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Is Different Seasons the one with the story about the race that ends when only one person is left alive? Now that was a disturbing story...
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Is Different Seasons the one with the story about the race that ends when only one person is left alive? Now that was a disturbing story...
    Nope, that was one of the books originally written under his pseudonym, Richard Bachman. I first read it in the collection called The Bachman Books (after he was outed). It's called "The Long Walk" btw.

Funny, I was just talking about that the other day -- and the comparison with The Hunger Games (at least in terms of premise).

vCash
    I'm reading Kathy Reichs' "Virals" - it's no better or worse than Pattersons' Maximum Ride series and there's very little sexual over/undertones to it (which after the Anita Blake pron-fest is very welcome).

I also have Mary Higgins Clark's "My Gal Sunday" collection of short mysteries going on audio in the car. Pleasant driving company. It's not really hard to see which real-life politicains she models her character after.

I think the last Stephen King book I read was "Salem's Lot." Definitely not my cup of tea.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    Has anyone read any of Tim Dorsey's novels? I feel like I need an easy, fun read after I get done grading these papers and a colleague recommended a series of his to me. I like Carl Hiassen and I've been told that Dorsey is in a similar vein?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Has anyone read any of Tim Dorsey's novels? I feel like I need an easy, fun read after I get done grading these papers and a colleague recommended a series of his to me. I like Carl Hiassen and I've been told that Dorsey is in a similar vein?
    They are hysterical. Serge is my hero. Similar to Hiassen in that they are set in Florida and poke fun at all things held sacred to Floridians specifically and to society in general. They are semi stand alones. Reading them in order does introduce some recurring characters. That being said, you can pick up the character's roles really quickly if you read them at random.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    It is. But she's gonna wanna read it after finishing the second one. And that's not good.
    I just bought the whole trilogy in a three-pack.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I'm hearing wonderful things about The Night Circus -- so wonderful that I'm tempted to run out and get it, even though I'm currently up to my eyebrows in books. Is anyone here reading it?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I just bought the whole trilogy in a three-pack.
    I wasn't too annoyed by book 3. So, there's hope.

Finished "The Girl She Used to Be" - easy read, totally implausible, sort of like the equivalent of fast food, I guess?

I debated "Night Circus". But there's still 15 new books on my shelf waiting their turn...

vCash
    I picked The Night Circus up last week through the library's Best Bets, but the due date snuck up on me so I had to return it tonight. I did read through the first few chapters just to see whether I should bother putting it on hold. I was definitely intrigued enough to want more. However, even though I know it will be a long wait (months unless I luck into seeing it as a Best Bet again), I still don't feel the need to buy it.

Then again, I don't buy a lot of books these days, especially in hardcover, so that may not be a good gauge.

Then again, I could have kept it for the weekend for a mere 25-cent fine, but decided not to bother.

So far there's an emotional distance from the characters that I found sightly off-putting, but that may change. The first bit covers many years, so it feels almost like the beginning of a fairy tale.

Anyway, that's just a first impression and not likely useful.

vCash
    On the contrary, it's very useful. Thanks!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast