Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1001
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Reading First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones. Debut novel sort of a blend of Sookie Stackhouse (except no vampires) and Stephanie Plum (definite Ranger rip off). It's OK.

Also reading Robert Crais newest Elvis Cole novel: Taken. It's a bit more intense than his usual and consequently is missing some of the humor usually found in his Elvis Cole books. This is more like his Joe Pike stand alones.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I finished No One is Here Except All Of Us. I did not mean to finish so quickly but it's very hard to put down. It's such an interesting take on a Holocaust novel. It's the story of a Romanian Jewish village who decides to reinvent the World after hearing of Hitler's exploits. They avoid some of the war - but not all of the violence and the aftermath. It's beautifully written. If you liked The Night Circus, I think you will like this as well. It's in the same magic realism vein. It definitely requires suspending disbelief. Ausubel has an amazing way with words. The entire book has a dreamlike quality that just sucks you in. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

vCash
    I might have to reread a bit because I read last night on the train, in my post-Superbowl

vCash
    I started Turn of Mind yesterday. It is really sucking me in; the narrator is a woman with Alzheimer's, falling further and further into dementia, with a mystery about the murder of the woman's best friend.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Finished Full Service this morning. Like I said upthread, totally unlike any dishy Hollywood stuff I've ever read......and actually sort of bittersweet and touching at the end. Le sigh, le grand sigh........

I've decided to hold off on McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series and try Saylor's Roma and Empire instead.......

For Ancient Roman non-fiction, may I recommend Freisenbruch's Caesar's Wives: Sex, Power, and Politics in the Roman Empire. There is so little non-fiction out there about Roman women that isn't a dull-assed, dry academic yawner, , so I enjoyed this very much!

Also good is Matthew Dennison's Livia, Empress of Rome.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Reading Robert Massey's bio of Peter The Great. Absorbing, even though I am pretty familiar with the history and know what will happen next.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Well, I finished Believing the Lie (Elizabeth George). What a huge disappointment! Not her finest work, by far.

Call me crazy, but I like my murder mysteries

Spoiler

But I have no patience at all for the idiot plot.

Spoiler

Don't get me started on Deborah.

Spoiler

And what's with this new trend on including sensationalist, shock-factor subplots that do little to advance the storyline? She did it in the previous book with the historical child-killer storyline, and this time with

Spoiler

She mocks the tabloids for their brand of journalism, but I don't see a lot of difference in what she's doing. I can understand it if it's part of the main story (like in What Came Before He Shot Her, or Well Schooled in Murder), but here it served no purpose.

About the only good things that came out of this book were

Spoiler

vCash
    Halfway through Charlotte's Web in Spanish, been taking notes on words I don't recognize as I go in an attempt to patch up my conversational Spanish, which is now probably at about 60% of what it used to be. Hit the word "cloqueando" today and couldn't find cloquear in the dictionary, so I asked one of our Hispanic doctors. He was nonplussed at first until I showed him the book and then he laughed and said, "That's the noise the goose makes".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Finished Full Service this morning. Like I said upthread, totally unlike any dishy Hollywood stuff I've ever read......and actually sort of bittersweet and touching at the end. Le sigh, le grand sigh........

I've decided to hold off on McCullough's "Masters of Rome" series and try Saylor's Roma and Empire instead.......

For Ancient Roman non-fiction, may I recommend Freisenbruch's Caesar's Wives: Sex, Power, and Politics in the Roman Empire. There is so little non-fiction out there about Roman women that isn't a dull-assed, dry academic yawner, , so I enjoyed this very much!

Also good is Matthew Dennison's Livia, Empress of Rome.
    I have not read Saylor, but am wholeheartedly behind Colleen McCullough's Rome series. At least for the first few novels, it is riveting. ( and quite brutal and complex. Not a "Rome- light", at all. I became utterly fascinated with Sulla and read up on his biography, whenever I could)

Would you recommend Saylor? I am desperately looking for an absorbing escapist well- written novel.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Reading Robert Massey's bio of Peter The Great. Absorbing, even though I am pretty familiar with the history and know what will happen next.
    You are fast! I have not even started "Catherine the Great". Did you enjoy it?
    There are two more biographies this year that got great reviews. One is of Caravaggio, another- of Van Gogh. I guess I have to read faster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    There are two more biographies this year that got great reviews. One is of Caravaggio, another- of Van Gogh. I guess I have to read faster.
    I really want to read that Van Gogh book.

vCash
    I finished No One is Here Except All Of Us. I did not mean to finish so quickly but it's very hard to put down. It's such an interesting take on a Holocaust novel. It's the story of a Romanian Jewish village who decides to reinvent the World after hearing of Hitler's exploits. They avoid some of the war - but not all of the violence and the aftermath. It's beautifully written. If you liked The Night Circus, I think you will like this as well. It's in the same magic realism vein. It definitely requires suspending disbelief. Ausubel has an amazing way with words. The entire book has a dreamlike quality that just sucks you in. I highly recommend it.

Did you like "Night Circus"? I promised to write a review here, but keep postponing it, and quickly forgetting.
    And there lies the problem. I enjoyed reading it- especially the first half, and - being almost pathologically not avisual person- even I enjoyed the descriptions in the book. The imagery is poetic, there is a colorful imagination behind it. But when it came to the plot, it seemed to wither towards the second half, and ultimately I did not find the conclusion memorable at all.
    The book has some similarities to " Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell" by Susanna Clarke. But while I absolutely adored " Jonathan Strange..." and keep checking if Susanna Clarke has a new book out, I found "Night Circus" forgettable. Except those black- and- white -and- red images

vCash
    I loved the Night Circus. But "No One Here..." has more plot.

vCash
    I loved the Night Circus. But "No One Here..." has more plot.
    Thanks for replying! Have you read " Jonathan Strange"? It is a much slower, longer book, filled with British mythology and historical frivolities ( it is an early 19- century- England setting)- an yet I think it is absolutely brilliant.

vCash
    I really want to read that Van Gogh book.
    So do I!

Here is the "companion website" for it:
    http://vangoghbiography.com/mission

vCash

Would you recommend Saylor? I am desperately looking for an absorbing escapist well- written novel.
    Saylor writes in the historical mystery genre, which I love. I highly recommend him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Saylor writes in the historical mystery genre, which I love. I highly recommend him.
    I haven't yet read any of Saylor's mysteries, but his Roma and Empire read very much like something between James Michener's and Edward Rutherfurd's grand historical chronicles. However, they're not too grand; each segment feels like a nice, tight short story. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    So do I!

Here is the "companion website" for it:
    http://vangoghbiography.com/mission
    J'adore Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith's artist bios! Their Pollock bio was one of the greatest I have ever read and the Van Gogh is turning out to be just as good.

And I totally dig that they're a gay couple into historic preservation, too. I read a great article about the renovation of their historic home, but I'll be damned if I can't find it online now..........argh!
    Last edited by Fergus; 02-07-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Very much. I was sad when the book ended.

Van Gogh, eh? Dunno, I may have to wait to be in the mood for that.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Amazon is said to be planning to try a test run with brick and mortar bookstores, starting with a single store in Seattle with plans to spread nationwide if profits look good.

Hang in there, Luddites. You may get to keep your bookstores yet.

We're due for a new thread. Someone needs to think up a title.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4048495051 LastLast