Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    That shelf is more of a design statement than a working bookshelf.
    Agreed, which is why I am that anyone wants it. If I'm going to have a bookcase that big, it WILL hold books. Otherwise it is taking up valuable space that could hold books.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Where do you freaks put all of these books!?
    I've long since run out of space on my bookshelves, so in my case, there are piles of books everywhere - by my dining table, stacked up by my bed, etc. and so on.

Part of my bi-weekly entertainment is seeing where my cleaning lady has moved things to and how she has re-arranged the piles. Every once in a while a real gem floats to the top of a pile after Rosa has finished re-organizing everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Me too. My favorite movie as a kid was Beauty and the Beast, because he gives her a library and I couldn't imagine something more romantic than that.
    I loved that library too.

And agree the Borders bookcase with ladder is a sweet deal but I couldn't take advantage of it either, sigh. RIP.

I got about 12 books I think, paltry compared to most of you but enough to keep me occupied for a bit. I should really start posting reviews here, will do so as I go!
    Last edited by Lara; 09-18-2011 at 12:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I've long since run out of space on my bookshelves, so in my case, there are piles of books everywhere - by my dining table, stacked up by my bed, etc. and so on.
    My last apartment had a long hallway which led to the living space. Initially I covered one side with bookshelves. Then the other side. Then I took down pictures in the living room to make room for yet more shelves. Then I got rid of furniture which took up bookshelf space. Bookshelves went up in the bathroom for my junk-reads...In the end, almost every wall was covered with bookshelves. One of my coworkers came over once and was shocked. "Good God, you live in a freakin' library!"
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my borders still has a ladder for sale $600

i want it desperately but i have no way of getting it home
    Look in the phone book for a local moving company. Most of them will do small moves for a reasonable fee.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    my borders still has a ladder for sale $600

i want it desperately but i have no way of getting it home
    find a band with a van.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Barnes and Noble is having a $2.99-a-book sale: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/top-...les/379003100/

Just in case you have any post-Borders money or desires left.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    My B&N order came today. Finished "The Postmistress" already - very good book, but I was really annoyed at the end. The other 6 books are on the shelf waiting to be read. Had a yard sale today and sold a few books for .25 each. I was telling people to 'read more so I can buy more'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Oh, good, it's not just me. My very first thought on looking at the photo was "But you'd have to group everything by size! "
    Once upon a time I worked in the (closed) stacks at the NY Public Library, the main research library on 5th Avenue with the lions in front.

As I recall, some of the books were shelved according to subject matter by Library of Congress call numbers, some by an internal numbering system based entirely on size and date of acquisition, and others by a hybrid internal system that was mostly according to size and date but with some division of general subject area.

If it had been done just by subject matter there would have been a lot of wasted space on the shelves.

I wonder how much it's changed in 30 years.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Barnes and Noble is having a $2.99-a-book sale: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/top-...les/379003100/

Just in case you have any post-Borders money or desires left.
    Oh goodness! Anyone have any recommendations of books they see on the $2.99 list? I have no clue what to get but for that price I might as well bite!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Once upon a time I worked in the (closed) stacks at the NY Public Library, the main research library on 5th Avenue with the lions in front.

As I recall, some of the books were shelved according to subject matter by Library of Congress call numbers, some by an internal numbering system based entirely on size and date of acquisition, and others by a hybrid internal system that was mostly according to size and date but with some division of general subject area.

If it had been done just by subject matter there would have been a lot of wasted space on the shelves.

I wonder how much it's changed in 30 years.
    I took a private stack tour of the library this year; the library had special tours one weekend to celebrate its anniversary.

To answer your question, the library has not changed. The section I toured was organized by the special numbering system and the guide pointed out that it had to do with size.

Loved the tour, by the way; it was a real peek behind the scenes, and, I must confess, the first time I've visited that library even though I've been in NY for almost 40 years.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The NY Public Library is number two on my list of things to see if I ever get to NY. Right behind the American Museum of Natural History.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I took a private stack tour of the library this year; the library had special tours one weekend to celebrate its anniversary.

To answer your question, the library has not changed. The section I toured was organized by the special numbering system and the guide pointed out that it had to do with size..
    Thanks.

I'm not surprised that that hasn't changed. I'm guessing that they now have air conditioning and computer catalogs.

When the Temperature/Heat Index got over a certain number, we had the choice of going home with full pay or staying to work at time and a half.

vCash
    Oh goodness! Anyone have any recommendations of books they see on the $2.99 list? I have no clue what to get but for that price I might as well bite!
    I haven't had time to look through the whole list, but I saw one called Promise Not to Tell that I read and liked. It's a mystery. On the $1.99 list I saw The Last Crossing, which I absolutely loved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The NY Public Library is number two on my list of things to see if I ever get to NY. Right behind the American Museum of Natural History.
    I went with my father who was especially eager for the periodical section...gorgeous building but I keep wondering if we missed something? Both the Yale and Princeton University libraries seemed to have more to see/browse. Weird.

When you do visit, grab a Pret sandwich after and cross the street to Bryant Park to eat. One of my favorite things to do in NYC.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You might want to check out Alibris' 99 cent sale, too: http://www.alibris.com/discount-book...-discount-_-na

I can't believe Larsson's The Girl series is already priced that low. It seems like I just shelled out for the hardbacks a month or so ago.

And since I am plugging sales, I will once again plug the piggies at The Cheap for the e-reader owners. While mostly for Nook users (and they are giving away a Simple Touch, if anyone wants to enter), they also have a Kindle page and several Facebook pages by category, including Authors on the Cheap, where writers post about their own books that are on sale, usually in multiple formats.

Teachers and parents might be interested in this deal: http://www.rootmynook.com/2011/09/16...s-free-ebooks/ Note that those are all downloadable books in PDF, not print, although I believe there are print books on sale as well.

vCash
    Thanks for the link to The Cheap. Amazon.com does a good job of hiding Kindle books that are cheap.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Thanks for the link to The Cheap. Amazon.com does a good job of hiding Kindle books that are cheap.
    I Liked Cheap e-Reads and a couple of their pages on Facebook, as I find it easier to keep up. Some days there is almost nothing, but most days, they post 10-15 books or so, sometimes more. It fills up my feed, but I find it easier to let the book links come to me than I do to check the page to see if there is anything new.

You might find some books here, too: http://www.freekindlebooks.org/

vCash
    I started Middlesex......someone told me that once they got to America, It would be a can't put down read. I have finally made it to America. Crossing my fingers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebetty View Post
    I started Middlesex......someone told me that once they got to America, It would be a can't put down read. I have finally made it to America. Crossing my fingers.
    I think you will find that it really picks up at that point. I adore that book. I was fairly bored with it at first, but read the bulk of it in one sitting.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast