Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I'm severely book-gasming over this bookshelf. WANT.

http://splurge24.tumblr.com/post/102...mg-i-want-this
    Ooo, ooo, I know something, I know something! Arredamenti Saporiti, an Italian minimalist, designed that bookshelf. Unfortunately, he lives with other Italians in Italy, which is damned inconsiderate of him.

Some of his other stuff is nifty too: http://www.saporiti.net/
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Just finished Gamble by Felix Francis, who is hoping, I guess, to carry on his father's (the late Dick Francis) legacy. It was ok. Showed some promise, but not really up to the quality of even the lesser books of his father.

I just finished the entire Steele Street series by Tara Janzen and if you are extremely good at suspending disbelief and like way over the top action/romance, these are huge fun.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenAnkle View Post
    Just finished Gamble by Felix Francis, who is hoping, I guess, to carry on his father's (the late Dick Francis) legacy. It was ok. Showed some promise, but not really up to the quality of even the lesser books of his father.
    I'm still in denial that Dick Francis is dead. He was my "first love" in murder mysteries. I had previously read some Agatha Christie, but it wasn't until I picked up my first Dick Francis that I really embraced the genre.

Sadly I'm not at all surprised that Felix's work is not up to standard. The last 4 Dick Francis books written "with Felix Francis" were far below par ... and I strongly suspected dad had very little to do with the writing on those ones. *sigh* At least I have all of DF's books and can revisit them. I doubt I'll bother reading any Felix.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Ooo, ooo, I know something, I know something! Arredamenti Saporiti, an Italian minimalist, designed that bookshelf. Unfortunately, he lives with other Italians in Italy, which is damned inconsiderate of him.

Some of his other stuff is nifty too: http://www.saporiti.net/
    Yeah, apparently all letters are available and they're hella expensive. Rude.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Actually, that's just a series of cubes. Any half-way decent carpenter could make it. And since the cubes are stacked, it would be easy to move around.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I could fill that in about 20 minutes.
    Me too.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I could fill that in about 20 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Me too and like 20 times over. However, that bookshelf would look pretty amazing in my office I'm going to have to look into that.
    Where do you freaks put all of these books!?

I think if you really want it you should just have a good carpenter make it for you. It can't be hard.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Where do you freaks put all of these books!?
    In this thread, the freaks are the one that CAN'T fill multiple shelves like that. I have an entire garage-full of books, their are five bookcases of books downstairs, all mine, and two bookcases in my room. Plus my stash of rainy day books filled with heaving bosoms and vampires under my bed. I'm not sure, but I think maybe that's why my mom bought me a Kindle for Christmas even though I was deadset against one. /rabid convert

Remember, we have books. Heavy ones that can be used as projectile missiles.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Actually, that's just a series of cubes. Any half-way decent carpenter could make it. And since the cubes are stacked, it would be easy to move around.
    You should start making up a batch and selling them to FSU members!

vCash
    I finished The Handmaid's Tale and really enjoyed it, although it was creepy! I finished with it two nights ago and haven't really been able to stop thinking about it since. I felt like every time I picked it up I was entering that horrible world again.

I looked up the trailer for the film and was shocked to see that the hanging scene was filmed in front of our famed chapel where I went to college! Eek, that's doubly creepy.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    You should start making up a batch and selling them to FSU members!
    It would require half-way decent carpenter skills. Mine are no where near that level.

vCash

I looked up the trailer for the film and was shocked to see that the hanging scene was filmed in front of our famed chapel where I went to college! Eek, that's doubly creepy.
    The film version isn't great.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I just have to reiterate what Allen said. The movie just isn't that well done, despite an amazing cast.

Of course, it's nowhere near as bad as the monstrosity that was made out of my favorite dystopian novel, Fatherland. I wish someone with a budget would remake it, because it could be amazing. Oh, well.

vCash
    I want that bookshelf soooo bad. I'm sending the link to my mom, who was an interior designer. She'll love it.

Brian, I know this is kind of late, but since you were asking about books set in WWII, have you read Maus and Maus II? They're graphic novels, but they're outstanding. They're a quick read, but deep (on so many levels) and just excellent.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I like the look of that bookcase, but, practically speaking, it wouldn't work for me. All my books have to be in order. Grouped together by subject and then alphabetical by author. And if I have multiple books by one author, in chronological order. Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I like the look of that bookcase, but, practically speaking, it wouldn't work for me. All my books have to be in order. Grouped together by subject and then alphabetical by author. And if I have multiple books by one author, in chronological order. Not that I'm obsessive-compulsive or anything.
    Oh, good, it's not just me. My very first thought on looking at the photo was "But you'd have to group everything by size! "
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    That shelf is more of a design statement than a working bookshelf. I think the image filled with books is cluttered and messy. I'd leave half of each shelf blank or put something other than a book on alternate shelves. It doesn't look good filled with books. You lose the design element.

Book shelves need to be floor to ceiling with a book ladder. Like a library. I want a library.

vCash
    Book shelves need to be floor to ceiling with a book ladder. Like a library. I want a library.
    Me too. My favorite movie as a kid was Beauty and the Beast, because he gives her a library and I couldn't imagine something more romantic than that.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my borders still has a ladder for sale $600

i want it desperately but i have no way of getting it home
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Finished Dissolution this afternoon. It was an enjoyable read, but I think I will get the rest of the series from the library instead of buying them. I'm not yet ready to go back to my stream-of-consciousness epic, so I'm staring at my TBR shelf trying to decide. The front runners are Now, Voyager (the novel the Bette Davis classic was based on) and To Bed with Grand Music (married woman slutting around London while hubby is off fighting in WWII). Decisions, decisions...
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast