Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    When I went to the airport on Friday, the bookstore wasn't open. So I downloaded Cold Vengeance onto my iPad, and so far, it's pretty good.

But I don't know how you people read multiple books on that thing. I find it annoying. I was waiting for the addiction to kick in, but I have resisted so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Oops - um, that was the real title of it. For some reason, I always call it that.
    Rats! I was about to go on a new hunt.

I've heard there's another book about the disaster from the point of view of one of the women who comes off really badly in Krakauer's version -- was there a woman in the media? I'd be curious to read that if it indeed exists.

I hated Into the Wild, both book and movie. I mean, I loved reading/watching them, and they were excellent on an objective level. I just can't get on board with glorifying someone who chose to cut himself off from his parents like that. Just cruel.

vCash
    Ooh, did the socialite write a book? Sandy.....something. Though in a documentary I watched, she cops to behaving a lot like Jon Krakauer said she did.

vCash
    Got an e-mail from Amazon today saying that they have shipped my copy of the new Flavia DeLuce mystery! Can't wait!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Thanks! Does Lady Jane make it in this one?
    buah ha ha ha!

Got an e-mail from Amazon today saying that they have shipped my copy of the new Flavia DeLuce mystery! Can't wait!
    i need to figure out what my new book store is going to be. well, default i assume it will be b & n, the question is which location will get on my nerves the least.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Rats! I was about to go on a new hunt.

I've heard there's another book about the disaster from the point of view of one of the women who comes off really badly in Krakauer's version -- was there a woman in the media? I'd be curious to read that if it indeed exists.

I hated Into the Wild, both book and movie. I mean, I loved reading/watching them, and they were excellent on an objective level. I just can't get on board with glorifying someone who chose to cut himself off from his parents like that. Just cruel.
    There is a book. It's called "The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest" by Anatoli Boukreev. He comes off very bad in the Krakauer book. Bourkreev died a few years after Everest.

Finished "Cathedral of the Sea." I now know more about Barcelona's famous church than I ever thought I would.

Ordered "Lionheart." It comes on Saturday.

I'm now deep into "The Lady in The Tower." It's a very annotated book, I'm getting amused counting the footnote numbers. Weir is totally not a fan of Thomas Cromwell.

After this, I want something light to read! People in my books keep dying!

vCash
    There is a book. It's called "The Climb: Tragic Ambitions on Everest" by Anatoli Boukreev. He comes off very bad in the Krakauer book. Bourkreev died a few years after Everest.
    His book is good as well. However, he made some dumb decisions as well, imo. Shouldn't have been climbing without oxygen while leading a group. On your own? Fine. When people's lives are depending on you? Not so much.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Number 4 out already? Wow, that was fast!

I loved #1, was hugely disappointed in #2, and thought #3 was pretty good. Off to put may name in the library queue for #4 ... thanks for the heads up!

vCash
    I'm reading Stephanie Perkins' latest novel, Lola and the Boy Next Door. It's a young adult novel. I started reading because I loved her first book, Anna and the French Kiss. I'm a little over 100 pages in and so far, I like this book but I don't love it like I did the previous novel. I can't help but to compare the two books and Lola is less likeable and more annoying than Anna. Anna had a genuineness that Lola lacks (probably because Lola is so concerned with looking as "unique" [i.e. weird] as possible ). She seems more shallow and way too concerned with what other people think of her. Plus, Anna appears in this novel so I can't help but to compare Lola to her!

Plus, it's a bit more predictable. I can already tell that Lola's bf, Max, is going to end up being an asshat. This will make it easier for Lola to leave him and be with her true love, Cricket. In all fairness, I do like Cricket, flat character that he is.

Perkins does a great job of describing the ambiance of San Francisco though. The novel is readable but compared to the first novel, I am not as impressed. I hope this changes as I progress into the book.
    Last edited by modern_muslimah; 11-04-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    His book is good as well. However, he made some dumb decisions as well, imo. Shouldn't have been climbing without oxygen while leading a group. On your own? Fine. When people's lives are depending on you? Not so much.
    When he said he left the group to go make 'sherpa tea', he sort of blew all credibility. He may have saved lives after he woke up and discovered the expedition went to all kinds of frozen hell, but his actions leading up to it were mind boggling.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Finished Linda Howard's latest romantic suspense: Prey. She'd be a lot better if there was more suspense in most of her books. This one had an interesting premise that she could have done a lot with, but she wastes page after page telling the reader how much confusion the girl has regarding the guy. This story had a killer and a man-eating bear, but they were given short shrift. We got to read several pages of the killer explaining his reasons for why he had to kill someone rather than creating a real menace. I mean, a man-eating bear should generate excitement, adrenaline, page-turning to see who it eats next, but, alas. I swear I'm never buying another one of her books and then that little flicker of hope springs eternal. At least I finished it instead of reading the first paragraph and tossing the book into the give to the library pile like 99% of the others waiting to be read. Sigh.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I just finished a preview copy of The Predicteds by Christine Seifert. It's a YA novel, and quite good. Scientists have invented a test that can predict which kids will go bad and one school releases the list.

I wonder how long the book has been in the pipeline, though. A couple references to Myspace and the Jonas Brothers that probably need to be edited out. Other than that, I enjoyed the book.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I'm 2/3rds of the way through His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. I took a week (of bedtimes) to read The Golden Compass. I've seen the movie, so I mostly knew where the plot was going.

It took two days (reading every chance I got) to finish The Subtle Knife, and now I'm about to read The Amber Spyglass, but I'm a bit afraid that I might read through the night to finish it, and I have to work tomorrow.

Some of the best page turning fiction I've read recently has been shelved in the YA section.

vCash
    I'm now deep into "The Lady in The Tower." It's a very annotated book, I'm getting amused counting the footnote numbers. Weir is totally not a fan of Thomas Cromwell.
    Wonder what she thought of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. But I think that's generally considered rather . . . is revisionist the word I want? (And Mantel in turn is totally not a fan of Thomas More.) Still, it was a pretty absorbing read and I'll get the sequel when it comes out.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Wonder what she thought of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. But I think that's generally considered rather . . . is revisionist the word I want?
    If you disapprove of her view, it's revisionist.

If you approve, it's a fresh perspective.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Oh, so that's how it works.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I'm almost finished with Jennifer Crusie's "Maybe This Time." It's way more paranormal than I generally expect from her but I've liked it. The kids seem a little too much Addams Family and I like Southie more than North but it's been a decent read.

I have the second of three Jack Higgins' iternational intrigues going in the car; even if they're nearly 20 years old, I'm still liking them. It certainly makes being stuck in traffic a lot easier.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash

Finished "Cathedral of the Sea." I now know more about Barcelona's famous church than I ever thought I would.

Ordered "Lionheart." It comes on Saturday.

After this, I want something light to read! People in my books keep dying!
    Boukreev was a guide on one of the other expeditions. Krakauer accused him of putting his own ambitions over the safety of the others.

What I found interesting/alarming about these Everest expeditions is that these were mostly people in their 40's/50's putting their lives into the guides hands for $60K, not expert mountaineers.

vCash
    Looking forward to Sue Grafton's "V is for Vengeance" new release on 11-14!

vCash
    Just finished E. L. Konigsburg's "The View from Saturday." dd was supposed to read it for her extracurricular "book jam" but failed in her literary duty, so I stole the book and read it myself--having read and enjoyed several E. L. Konigsburgs in my childhood. Great book, and I loved the way she structured it. All about an academic bowl and the teacher who heads up the four 6th graders who take part, and their friendships with each other.

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast