Thread: Bedbugs :(

vCash

Bedbugs :(

So it seems that my house has bedbugs We got some bug bites for a couple of weeks back in July. When they kept happening and always at night, we washed the bedding and put bug spray around the bed. The bites stopped. The landlord installed these electronic bug monitors just to be sure. I thought that it had been a false alarm since we were no longer getting bites but just this morning got a call from my landlord saying the monitors picked up one sole bedbug last night.

I don't understand how this is possible. We still have no smears or other signs of bedbugs, no more bites. The bugs have not multiplied visibly despite apparently being in the house for nearly two months. Nobody has come to check on the monitors. I have half a mind to believe that the extermination company is lying to my landlord that they found a bedbug so that he will pay them for the treatment.

My house will get heat-treated. I'm supposed to wash ALL my clothes, bedding etc at an off-site laundromat within the next two days (How?? I can't take time off work.) and keep them bagged til after the treatment. Nobody has told me what to do about stuff like shoes, bags, delicate evening dresses etc that won't can't go in the dryer. I'm thinking about cancelling this weekend's trip to New York as I'm afraid of bringing bedbugs to the friend's house I'm crashing at. I'm also scared that the friend currently staying with me will bring them back to her house on her suitcase.

Seriously these bedbugs would make perfect psychological warfare tools I'm so stressed and upset over this situation. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any hints, tips, especially success stories in dealing with them would be much appreciated right now.

vCash
    www.bedbugger.com has a lot of great information. Try not to get too into the forums-- they can make you more upset and paranoid than you already might be, even if it's a great tool. Don't read it close to bed time, for example.

They have a great FAQ on how to travel and not take the bugs with you. Your friend should follow that before going home, if they can.

If your house is getting heat-treated, then maybe leaving your shoes out will be good enough? Ask to speak to the PCO directly about these concern items if you haven't already. There is the Packtite in the USA (not available elsewhere yet, as far as I know) that was made to put suitcases in, but people use it for shoes, papers, etc., in instead.

Also, if you can read up about it on bedbugger, a steamer is a worthwhile investment. I use mine to clean all the time, so it's not bug-specific, but it helps with items like furniture, purses, shoes, etc.

Bed bugs can upturn every little thing in your routine, but you'll get rid of them, and things will go back to normal eventually. Do you know where you got them? Are you part of a joined unit?

Good luck!
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Over the past few years bed bugs seems to have reached near-epidemic proportions.

I've known several people who have had them. Getting rid of them is a lot of work - all the washing and bagging sure can't be fun.

One person called in a dog trained to detect bed bugs and it helped a lot.

Good luck!!