Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Do you like donuts (doughnuts)? Which ones?

This thread is obviously not for the health food nuts

I normally eat pretty healthy (lost of veggies, fresh fruit, whole grains and legumes), but occasionally I like to eat a donut (some spell it doughnut).

I was going to make this a poll, but thought it may be better to just talk about this delicacy that is so popular in the USA, (even now, after the bagels take over).

My favorites are:

Krispy Kreme (it's a pity they keep closing their shops)

Dunkin Donuts (old company but I still like their donuts, although they too closed many shops)

Tim Hortons (I only ate them in Canada; absolutely loved them!)- I heard they opened some shops in the USA on the east coast, but I am in the southwest.

In addition, I found a listing of top 10 donut companies:

Krispy Kreme
    Entenmann's
    Private Label
    Hostess
    Dolly Madison
    Little Debbie
    Merita
    Freihofer
    Tastykake
    Metz

I don't recognize most of them (other than KK and Hostess). They must be in different parts of the country (USA).

I do buy an occasional donut at local grocery stores but never cared a whole lot for them.

My favorite recipe is my own- buy a plain cake donut, without anything on it, bake it slightly (or heat up in a microwave), and put two spoons of honey on it. Eat it warm. It's delicious!

Let me hear what you enjoy, and please don't feel embarrassed about enjoying donuts.

vCash
    Tim Hortons!!! Timmys is a national obsession here in Canada, especially Totonto. My favourit donut is the honey dip, and it is nit a donut but I also love the cherry cheese danish. But I am not a huge donut lover because overall the stuff can sometimes be too sweet for me. LOL
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    My mom was an employee at Dunkin' Donuts, when we lived in the USA, and she always used to bring home some delicious donuts. My favourites were the Boston creme and the glazed donuts. The coffee rolls and the strawberry cheese danishes were delicious, as well.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Krispy Kreme stores smell the best, and their dough is the best when it is warm, but their fillings, frostings, and glazes are too sweet for me.

My favorite doughnut is a Dunkin Donuts' Bavarian Cream. I also like the plain and chocolate with the coconut on top.

Never had a Horton's.

Montgomery Donuts in Maryland used to be good.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I can't get nice donuts where I live

My favourites are chocolate Timbits - one of the many high points of visiting Canada was always buying a whole box of them!
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    My favourite doughnuts ever were the ones from the Portuguese bakery in the small town where I grew up. No doughnut since has come close. Well, Krispy Kreme maybe -- but it's all the extra fat & sugar they use (yes! even more so than any other doughnut) that makes them yummier.

Timmys, meh. I don't get the love for Tim Horton's. Their coffee is substandard, their doughnuts only so-so. I'll usually get a plain glazed (aka honey dipped) or an apple fritter if I'm forced to go to Timmys when I'm with someone who thinks that their stuff is actually good.

Once in a blue moon I might buy one from Safeway if I'm grocery shopping and need a treat.

BTW, I only like yeast doughnuts; cake doughnuts are dry & icky & tasteless IMO. And pretty much only plain glazed, with occassional forays into apple fritters.

vCash
    My favorite is Bavarian creme with powdered sugar on the outside, instead of chocolate. I don't like chocolate-topped donuts because they're too sweet Crullers are also delicious, and I love the Tim Hortons honey dip when they're covered with those round sprinkles.

Thank god I'm in a border state so there are copious Tim Hortons in my area. I pass 3 (soon to be 4) on my 20-minute commute to work!

vCash
    We have a local baker here with a small shop called the Donut Whole. I like the maple frosted bacon donut.

vCash
    The favorite at our house is LaMars. It is a small chain in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri (and randomly it seems to me) one location each in Arizona and Alabama.

vCash
    My favorites are a the local chains. In Seattle it's "Top Pot Donuts", in Portland "Voodoo Donuts". TP has a chocolate old-fashioned that is amazing, and VooDoo - well... people-shaped raspberry filled yeast doughnuts with chocolate frosting and a pretzel stake and bacon maple bars anyone?

QFC a grocery store chain (now part of Kroger) has good donuts as well. I'm not sure that Dunkin or Winchells even have stores in the region any more - I suppose they might.

I totally do not get the attraction of Krispy Kreme - even when they are warm.

I do like Tim Horton's when I'm in Canada.

vCash
    Sour cream glazed Timbits. Or else a sour cream tidbit, without the glaze.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Something about me must be deeply wrong: I can't bring myself to eat in fast foods, Subways or Dunkin' Donuts.

But I love bagles. And Muffins. And egg bacon tomato pepperoni croissants.

Do you guys remmenber that episode of Everwood when Dr. Abbott opens a bagle shop in town, and everybody goes in asking for donuts?
    -- Yeah, I'm a sucker for US tv series.
    Last edited by loulou; 09-16-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Of the readily available chains, here, I like Dunkin Donuts, best.
    Krispy Kreme's doughnuts are much too sweet.

I'm sorry I can't access Winchell's or Tim Horton's in Florida.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    The favorite at our house is LaMars. It is a small chain in Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri (and randomly it seems to me) one location each in Arizona and Alabama.
    I gained five pounds while student teaching because there was a Lamars on the way to school. Cake donuts, frosting and sprinkles.

vCash
    I've always liked Dunkin Donuts, but sadly, there aren't any in Utah.

I really don't go by brand that much though. I like cake donuts best. A cake donut with blueberry frosting - yum!!! I also really like buttercream bars, and cinnamon twists...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I live in CT.
    I like Dunkin Donuts. Tim Hortons is ok, but some of the locations in CT have closed. I have not noticed any DDs closing in CT. They are everywhere.
    Last week I was in Northern Ireland, and Tim Hortons coffee was for sale at gas stations, prominently setup.
    I do like Hostess choc covered donuts.
    Entenmanns is regional I think, is here in CT, maybe New England.

Quadless
    vCash
    Paging BR.......

I like plain glazed donuts. I hardly ever eat them, but every once in a while, especially dipped in coffee. Yum.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I have a weakness for creme-filled donuts.

vCash
    The student union at my college used to fry up donuts after 9PM, get them nice and crunchy on the outside, and then roll them in cinnamon sugar. Mmmmm. I think I'm lucky that it is no more, and that I don't have a Tim Hortons within range either.

We don't even have a donut shop in town. The grocery stores all make donuts, badly, and that seems to have pushed the Winchell's and Dunkin Donuts that used to be here out of business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I gained five pounds while student teaching because there was a Lamars on the way to school. Cake donuts, frosting and sprinkles.
    My husband would gain 20 if there were one on the way to his work! There is one across from the salon where I take my mom for her haircuts in Lincoln very six weeks (she can't drive due to her declining vision). He begs me to bring home donuts every time I take her.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast