Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Care to share the dip recipe PD?
    PM Mag. That's how I got it!

vCash
    It sounds like a triumphant achievement! Good for you - thanks for the the replay.

vCash
    Thanks for the rest of the story. Was afraid I would get to the end without knowing what happened.

vCash

Unhappy

Here is the artichoke dip recipe for anyone who wants it.

14 oz can of artichoke hearts drained and chopped (chop with a knife not a food processor. The processor makes it too smooth.)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise (use real mayo)
    1 Tbsp finely minced green onion
    1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp garlic salt (I use crushed garlic instead)
    1/4 tsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and place in an oven proof dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to over cook as it will separate. This dish cannot be frozen and reheated.

For those who live in Western Canada, you can just buy a can of Western Family artichoke hearts and the recipe isoniazid the can.
    Last edited by mag; 09-18-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Not sure about the sad face or the weird word at the end, but I can seem to edit on my iPad. I'll fix it later ... Sorry!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Here is one of the most offensive moments of the evening which was not directed at me:

My close friend and the nasty woman grew up in the same Catholic parish and went to school together since kindergarten. The parish is having its annual fall festival today and they are both going to it. Nasty woman with her sister and my close friend by herself, apparently. So this conversation actually happened:

My friend: Are you planning to be there for lunch?
    Nasty: Yeah. We're going to get there early so we don't have to wait in line too long.
    My friend: What time? We could meet up and eat together.
    Nasty: I don't think so. (Sister) and I are eating with some actual friends of ours.

Mind you...I have been to this parish festival which is practically in my parents' back yard. Lunch is eaten in a huge crowded social hall with long rectangular tables. It is not likely that my friend sitting with the nasty sisters would impede on their privacy as there is no privacy at this event.

vCash
    The last time I brought something easy and cheap to a dinner party, my friends told me I needed to date a better class of woman.

vCash
    PD, is this an annual event?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    He had also brought a bunch of old newspapers home that were at my grandmother's house including ones from the week of the JFK assassination, several with headlines from the Vietnam War, the RFK assassination, John Glenn's mission and a some other cool stuff. Those were really interesting to look through.
    That sounds like a whole lot more fun than the dinner. You should try to preserve those papers and use them for your classes.

Nasty: I don't think so. (Sister) and I are eating with some actual friends of ours.
    I wonder if on another discussion board somewhere where nasty girl has been bemoaning that she agreed to this dinner . She doesn't seem any more thrilled than you do.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    PD, is this an annual event?
    I'm glad it is entertaining you.

Someone who apparently has no social life suggested that it should be last night. I did not second that motion.

They have attempted events every year for three years running with mixed results. Two years ago, they all had dinner the day after our class reunion, fortunately I had a family commitment. At that one, one person inexplicably drug her husband along, so it was six women and one guy who had to feel awkward. Last summer, they tried to organize a family oriented picnic event. We had a prior commitment that day, too. Not sure how that turned out.

I hate to tell you that I am going to immediately manufacture a prior commitment next time they invite me. Sorry.

engaged to dupa
    vCash

I hate to tell you that I am going to immediately manufacture a prior commitment next time they invite me. Sorry.
    That's putting a lot more thought into it than I would. Next invite response would just be: "Thanks, but I can't make it. Hope you guys have a great time." It would be done with a smile in my voice.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    That's putting a lot more thought into it than I would. Next invite response would just be: "Thanks, but I can't make it. Hope you guys have a great time." It would be done with a smile in my voice.
    One of my dearest friends persists in thinking that these gatherings are a great idea. Never mind that she was the one slammed most blatantly by Madame Nasty last night. I have named her the Queen of the Optimists because she never sees the bad side of anyone or anything.

She will be less likely to feel slighted (and with the exception of last night, she has been the organizer of these events) if I say we have a prior commitment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    That sounds like a whole lot more fun than the dinner. You should try to preserve those papers and use them for your classes.
    I'm definitely going to try to. They were fascinating. One dated January 23, 1973 had headlines for the death of LBJ, peace talks in Vietnam and the Roe v. Wade case on a single front page.

I wonder if on another discussion board somewhere where nasty girl has been bemoaning that she agreed to this dinner . She doesn't seem any more thrilled than you do.
    Believe it or not, she is the one who said "we should do this once a year". I think she has no social life other than hanging out with her much older sister and it sounds like she doesn't like her husband's company much.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I think she has no social life
    If she says things like what she said to your friend to other people, I can see why.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Some of those papers are worth some $ on Ebay!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Thanks very much for the update. Glad you got to spend time with your Dad.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Some of those papers are worth some $ on Ebay!
    Not really. Most were so mass produced and people kept them so they don't bring much money unless they're incredibly rare. They are fun to read, though. I like the want ads.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Something easy and cheap to take to a dinner party? One of the girls from Jersey Shore...

vCash
    Thanks for the update and the recipe you used. I don't blame you for not going again if the mean girls will be present. Who needs that negativity?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I said, "well, I realize it isn't fashionable in our generation, but I have a very happy marriage". That silenced the room for a minute. It was kind of fun.
    The best revenge is living well.

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Here is the artichoke dip recipe for anyone who wants it.

14 oz can of artichoke hearts drained and chopped (chop with a knife not a food processor. The processor makes it too smooth.)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise (use real mayo)
    1 Tbsp finely minced green onion
    1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp garlic salt (I use crushed garlic instead)
    1/4 tsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients and place in an oven proof dish. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes. Be careful not to over cook as it will separate. This dish cannot be frozen and reheated.

For those who live in Western Canada, you can just buy a can of Western Family artichoke hearts and the recipe isoniazid the can.
    Thank you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234