vCash

A skating accident in Finland

WARNING - this is horrible.

I did not find a link in English, so a short summary of the very sad and horrible accident.

10-year-old schoolchildren were skating at the rink in Rauma, Finland. A girl fell, and another girl collided with her. The fallen girl´s skate blade hit the other girl´s neck (collarbone area) and she died at the hospital, I think because the cut arteries and the loss of blood.

We often forget how sharp the skates are, they really can be lethal.
    It is sad for all the people involved, the children, the families, the teacher who was supervising the lesson. My condolences.

I still think that figure skating is the most wonderful sport and it is great that it is taught in schools.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    How sad.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    OMG! That is so tragic! My thoughts and prayers for the victim and her family. I hope the child who accidentally collided with her doesn't suffer endless guilt over this, either. Purely a terrible accident.

vCash
    How dreadful. So sad for all involved.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    How horrible. Thoughts and prayers for the families.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    oh
    yes we do forget how sharp those blades are.

vCash
    How terrible for the little girl and her family. My prayers are with them.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the the family of the little girl who was lost, and to the other girl and her family. How incredibly tragic for both.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Just me
    vCash
    Very sad for all involved. Tragic.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    sad.

vCash
    What a sad nightmare for all involved.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    How awful!
    My heart goes out to all those touched by this.

vCash
    How horrible.

Quadless
    vCash
    Truly tragic.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash

People often forget how dangerous ice skating is. The history is littered with serious injuries due to the sharp blades, falls, etc. When I had just started learning FS, the instructor had warned me that another skater could skate over my fingers, if I have fallen. This case is a million times tragic.

vCash
    How horrible! Hockey playing children aren't allowed on the ice without Kevlar neck guards to protect against this. I can remember when my daughter was learning to skate in the Canskate program (for hockey and figure skaters). She had a helmet, which was mandatory, but no face guard the first week but after watching the little ones falling all over the ice with blades flashing, I ran out the next day and got the face mask to go with it. Helmets with face masks are mandatory for hockey at all levels, but once figure skaters learn to skate they're on their own. I'm surprised we don't hear about more such incidents, especially among dancers and pair skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    I'm surprised we don't hear about more such incidents, especially among dancers and pair skaters.
    Honestly, probably because there aren't that many incidents. Figure skating is not a contact sport like hockey, and figure skaters learn quickly to stay far apart from each other, especially during things like camel spins and spirals. One of the first things that children in classes learn is how to fall properly. IMO, better to teach them caution than bundle them up against all imaginable possibilities. Face masks can be equally problematic because they impair vision - very important to be able to watch out for skaters.

I've skated for about 20 years (thousands of hours on low- and high-level freestyle ice) and taught learn to skate for over 10 years, and not once has anyone been cut by someone else's blades. Plenty of sprains, including a few to myself, and other injuries, but blades? No, thank god. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I think it's rare.

vCash

Unhappy

[QUOTE=nlyoung;3291706]How horrible! Hockey playing children aren't allowed on the ice without Kevlar neck guards to protect against this. I can remember when my daughter was learning to skate in the Canskate program (for hockey and figure skaters). She had a helmet, which was mandatory, but no face guard the first week but after watching the little ones falling all over the ice with blades flashing, I ran out the next day and got the face mask to go with it. Helmets with face masks are mandatory for hockey at all levels, but once figure skaters learn to skate they're on their own. I'm surprised we don't hear about more such incidents, especially among dancers and pair skaters.[/QUOT

Sadly my son was a competitive pair skater and almost lost his index and middle finger after falling in a twist and his partner came down on his hand. Surgery and almost of year of physio to try to straighten the index finger to no avail. Thankfully it was his left hand and he is right handed. And I know of a few other pair fellows who have had similar injuries to their hands as well as a couple of dancers... so they do happen...

vCash
    How very sad. My thoughts are with all involved.