View Poll Results: Who was the greatest ladies singles figure skater never to become Olympic champion?

Voters
302. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cecilia Colledge

3 0.99%
  • Laurence Owen

1 0.33%
  • Janet Lynn

21 6.95%
  • Denise Biellmann

2 0.66%
  • Midori Ito

51 16.89%
  • Nancy Kerrigan

2 0.66%
  • Michelle Kwan

179 59.27%
  • Irina Slutskaya

19 6.29%
  • Sasha Cohen

12 3.97%
  • Mao Asada

10 3.31%
  • Rosalynn Sumners

1 0.33%
  • Other

1 0.33%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    She had the misfortune to be skating at the same time as Trixi Schuba, who is probably the all-time best at figures.
    Didn't Karen Magnussen also regularly defeated Janet at the World level? So even if you removed the Schuba from the equation, it was still unlikely that Janet would've been World champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Didn't Karen Magnussen also regularly defeated Janet at the World level? So even if you removed the Schuba from the equation, it was still unlikely that Janet would've been World champion.
    True, for her era. Janet likely would have been World Champion over Karen Magnussen in 1973 if she hadn't blown the short program. Ironically, it appears that her figures score held her up, allowing her to win the silver. Of course, Trixi was did not compete at that Worlds.

vCash
    !!Michelle Kwan!!!

and my second choice is...........Michelle Kwan

vCash
    Michelle Kwan

vCash
    Michelle Kwan of course.

She's so great that even today there are media mistakenly calling her Olympic Figure Skating Champion Michelle Kwan.

Kwan is my favorite skater of all time and I am so sorry I jinxed her in 98 and 02

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Michelle Kwan of course.

She's so great that even today there are media mistakenly calling her Olympic Figure Skating Champion Michelle Kwan.

Kwan is my favorite skater of all time and I am so sorry I jinxed her in 98 and 02

Sooo it was *YOUUuuuuu* !!!!

Tsk tsk tsk!!!!!!

vCash
    Kween
    Instagram: @TimmyDavid
    Twitter: @TimmyDavid1979

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    Michelle Kwan of course.

We were just too many to jinx her in 1998 and 2002 ! What a shame

vCash
    Easy. Janet Lynn, closely followed by Denise Biellmann and Midori Ito. The reason? All three of these skaters revolutionised women's figure skating in their own unique ways - Lynn with her artistry, Biellmann with her innovation and athleticism, and Ito with her incredible jumping. They were pioneers. In the case of Lynn and Ito especially, their impact was so great that they forced a sea change in the way the sport was judged.

Michelle Kwan, as unquestionably talented as she was, didn't really bring anything new or unique to the table.
    Last edited by marquise; 09-16-2011 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    I'd rather watch Cohen a thousand times, falls included, than anyone else on this list.

Not to say that I don't appreciate or love others on this list, but no one will ever beat Sasha to me.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    It is funny how much the chain of events could have changed if Ito had won in 92 too. I am 110% sure Yamaguchi would have stayed in and won in 94 if she didnt win in 92, that was her plan all along anyway. If Yamaguchi continued then Baiul never wins a big title in 93 and 94 and she would have continued as an amateur, but would she have continued on to become a better skater in later years as an amateur or one that fell apart with her growth spurt and changing body and couldnt technicaly keep up with skaters like Kwan and Lipinski to come in later year? Then what if Baiul does succeed in later years and Tara's major success in 97-98 does not happen the same way.
    I always wondered why Ito retired? I'm sure burn-out, but the next Olympics were only two years away. She would have also blown away the field in 1993 and 1994 like Yamaguchi would have and altered skating history.

vCash
    Between Lynn and Ito, but I went with Ito.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I always wondered why Ito retired? I'm sure burn-out, but the next Olympics were only two years away. She would have also blown away the field in 1993 and 1994 like Yamaguchi would have and altered skating history.
    Well, the common thinking is that she left amateur competition the first time (second time was a different situation) because the pressure she felt was so extreme (and it wasn't just pressure she put on herself; some Japanese, including some of those closest to her, were practically cruel to her) and she believed that she had let her country down by not giving a gold-winning performance. She literally apologized to Japan for winning silver. It's hard to understand or agree with that, but I suppose one has to respect the cultural difference. No idea if there were other, behind-the-scenes factors involved,
    Last edited by Pierre; 09-17-2011 at 12:26 AM.

vCash
    I agree with what Pierre wrote. Also, I think she had already planned to retire after the 92 Olympics. The odds of winning the OGM were clearly in her favor. When she won the silver instead, she probably could not bring herself up to training for 2 more years, not knowing if she would win the OGM even then.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kwan
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I am pretty sure Ito was always planning on retiring from amateur competition after 92. In her case I think it was wise to actually turn pro at that point. Her body was pretty beat up through all the years of amateur competition, and she was much more inconsistent than she used to be at that point (probably through the combination of all the physical wear competing internationally since 83, and the years of extreme mental pressure from home). Personally I am much less sure of her winning in 94 even against the weak field than I am on Yamaguchi. She was awesome as a pro competitor in late 93 and late 94 when she appeared, but looked way past it as an amateur by 96 when she returned.

If circumstances had been different for her she might have been a 2 time Olympic Champion in both 88 and 92. It is too bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I am pretty sure Ito was always planning on retiring from amateur competition after 92. In her case I think it was wise to actually turn pro at that point. Her body was pretty beat up through all the years of amateur competition, and she was much more inconsistent than she used to be at that point (probably through the combination of all the physical wear competing internationally since 83, and the years of extreme mental pressure from home). Personally I am much less sure of her winning in 94 even against the weak field than I am on Yamaguchi. She was awesome as a pro competitor in late 93 and late 94 when she appeared, but looked way past it as an amateur by 96 when she returned.

If circumstances had been different for her she might have been a 2 time Olympic Champion in both 88 and 92. It is too bad.
    Midori had had many injuries upto that point. During a fluff piece in 1990 they showed x-rays of her ankles. She was having pain and was getting treatment for them. Prior to that, she had tried a quad toe loop and broke her ankle. At the 1991 worlds she had already experienced injuries throughout that season, and it did not help that Laetitia Hubert ran into her during the warm up, which injured her ribs. The Japanese fed pressured her into competing with that injury, even though Midori wanted to withdraw. She ended up in 4th place, so her fed did not get the 2 spots for the 92 Olympics they had pressured her for. The 1992 season was the first one in a few years when she was actually healthy, so it was even more disappointing to see her lose the OGM. She probably felt that she would not survive the grueling training of eligible competition, and decided to turn pro, even before the 92 Olympics. It was going to be her last competition. She did not even compete at the 92 worlds.

vCash
    Between Janet Lynn and Midori Ito. Janet for the total package; Midori for the athletics.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Between Janet Lynn and Midori Ito. Janet for the total package; Midori for the athletics.
    I respect Janet Lynn a lot but in what way was she a total package? Was she great at figures? I don't think so. She lost competitions because of weak figures. She skated great in SP & LP, but IIRC she fell multiple times in one of her SPs, then skated a great clean LP. I did not see her as athletic either. She was a great artistic skater, but that does not make her a total package.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I respect Janet Lynn a lot but in what way was she a total package? Was she great at figures? I don't think so. She lost competitions because of weak figures. She skated great in SP & LP, but IIRC she fell multiple times in one of her SPs, then skated a great clean LP. I did not see her as athletic either. She was a great artistic skater, but that does not make her a total package.
    Janet skated exactly two SP's her entire career at 1973 Nationals and Worlds. At Nationals she was beaten into 2nd place in the SP by baby Dorothy Hamill and of course we all know what happened in Bratislava where she was 12th in that portion. So I don't think she skated great in SP's.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast