Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ITA. It's easy for people with 2011 sensibilities and PC to criticize what Jackie said on the tape, but you have to remember that it was in the 60s, women were expected only to be a wife and a mother, and Jackie probably lived in a coccoon during the White House years where her world was what fed to her by her hustand and his staff.
    To a point. She was educated, no? And well traveled? There were plenty of women in her time and before who held a broader view then and now.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    To a point. She was educated, no? And well traveled? There were plenty of women in her time and before who held a broader view then and now.
    Absolutely. But she still lived in a rarefied world that I think is hard for most of us to imagine. Still going on now.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Yes, she was educated and well-traveled.

However, JBK's family was conservative and Republican. Her father lost most of his money in the 1929 "crash" and aftermath.
    He "blamed" Joseph Kennedy, who was head of the Securities and Exchange Commission for his plight. The family fell apart, thereafter.

Jackie lived with her mother after she remarried. Divorce and remarriage were not "encouraged" at the time.
    Undoubtedly, all of this colored her perspective, opinions and "world view".

vCash
    I agree that we have to look at the time and place and that opinions do change with age. Whatever her faults I do believe she was a great example to the nation when we needed her most. I could not have watched my husband murdered and then have to share his loss and my grief with everyone. Too much. And she said a few times in those tapes that she would not want to live without Jack. And Mamie---jeez it is not "your house" and from what I've read she was not the nicest person. No wonder Ike fell in love with Kay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12