Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    On Monday, after the NBC live showing of the Philadelphia Flyers vs NY Rangers outdoor ice hockey game, they advertised a feature about a 1982 hockey challenge series between Canada and Russia to be shown on the new NBC Sports Channel. Well, I found it, it is located on my dial about 5 channels after ESPN, it is listed as "NBCSP." And yes, it seems to be taped sports stories, not spontaneous competitions. (The story about the hockey series was beautifully written and directed.) I don't think we will see any competitive skating here. And I wonder where all of the skiing will go? I am a fan of most sports, and would have flipped to US if The Food Channel or HGTV was not piquing my interest.

I am technologically challenged, but I guess if no other channel picks up the void, I might try US on line? And I guess you people are telling me that my 7 year old tv won't adapt, but that a new tv might be used as a conduit to US on line on my tv screen. One other question is whether or not Ice Network can pick up the slack and cover all of the competitions that US has.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    You have to have an internet capable TV. Many of the new HiDef TVs offer this. I bought a Sony. It's got wireless capability. I watched all the GP series on the big screen.

Something is going on with US channel. All the TV guide directory says is *sports* with no specific programming titles. Maybe it's all part of the change or something. I have it and the new NBC sports channel so it doesn't matter, but there won't be any skating on the NBC sports channel until the winter olympics. What I've read was that its focus is on NHL and soccer (they think that's going to be the next big thing) and some of the summer olympic broadcasting. They will still have quite a few hunting/fishing programing left from when this was the Outdoor channel. I bought the US online subscription as well to watch 4CC and hopefully Worlds since neither are on the IN lineup at this time.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Now the channel comes up as "channel not available" - not a promising sign. I don't mind relying on their internet site for these programs, but I wonder how long they can keep operating and afford the licensing fees for these events if they only have Direct TV as as subscriber.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    You have to have an internet capable TV. Many of the new HiDef TVs offer this. I bought a Sony. It's got wireless capability. I watched all the GP series on the big screen.

Something is going on with US channel. All the TV guide directory says is *sports* with no specific programming titles. Maybe it's all part of the change or something. I have it and the new NBC sports channel so it doesn't matter, but there won't be any skating on the NBC sports channel until the winter olympics. What I've read was that its focus is on NHL and soccer (they think that's going to be the next big thing) and some of the summer olympic broadcasting. They will still have quite a few hunting/fishing programing left from when this was the Outdoor channel. I bought the US online subscription as well to watch 4CC and hopefully Worlds since neither are on the IN lineup at this time.
    When and where can you but an online subscription for Universal Sports?

Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    When and where can you but an online subscription for Universal Sports?

Thanks
    When it's closer to the events coming up, just look on the website.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    This is all apparently still being hashed out, as I supposed. According to this article from yesterday:
    Article on US transition

Universal Sports CEO David Sternberg said the network recently reached carriage agreements with Alaskan cable operator GCI, Hiawatha Broadband Communications in Minnesota, Cascade Communications in Oregon, Waitsfield Cable in Vermont, MTC Cable in New York and IPTV-distributor SkyAngel. He said the service previously had been offered on a multicast basis through some of those providers.
    ......."We are still very committed to our position and confident that we'll get deals done." .......
    To that end, Universal Sports may announce a carriage pact with a major distributor, as early as this week. Sternberg also said the network was "pretty far along" with two or three others and "we could get to the finish by the end of the month."

He declined to comment on where things stood with Comcast, saying he preferred not to discuss individual distributors.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Fingers crossed that these "negotiations" will include "Bright House Networks", which has never had Universal Sports - at least in FL.

vCash
    So my friends, keep hope alive!

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    I don't really like this quote...

Unlike many sports channels, Universal Sports is not asking distributors to carry the network on their most popular programming package, typically known as expanded basic or digital. Instead, it is seeking to be part of specialty packages that consumers pay extra to receive if they want the channel.
    Source: Universal Sports channel didn't disappear, it just seems that way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    This is all apparently still being hashed out, as I supposed. According to this article from yesterday:
    Article on US transition
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
    Thanks for these article links. It's nice to see some sort of update.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    I wonder if enough people get direct tv to keep them afloat. I am not sure of the logic behind charging extra for stuff most people avoid when it is free. Do they still show informercials in the AM? That's an attractive selling point.

I'd be more likely to plunk down $ to get Eurosport ungeoblocked.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I don't really like this quote...

Unlike many sports channels, Universal Sports is not asking distributors to carry the network on their most popular programming package, typically known as expanded basic or digital. Instead, it is seeking to be part of specialty packages that consumers pay extra to receive if they want the channel.

Source: Universal Sports channel didn't disappear, it just seems that way
    I don't like it either. I hope their elitist attitude ends up biting them in the ass. I'm happy with TWC giving me Expanded Basic for only $9.00/month - between that and my Road Runner I pay only $56.99/month for Time Warner, and I intend to keep it that way, with or without US.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I wonder if enough people get direct tv to keep them afloat. I am not sure of the logic behind charging extra for stuff most people avoid when it is free. Do they still show informercials in the AM? That's an attractive selling point.

I'd be more likely to plunk down $ to get Eurosport ungeoblocked.
    They really need to add HD and more programming (instead of showing the same thing 10 times a week) to have a good argument for a premium fee model. Showing *every* skater at every event *live* would be a good start. (every event they cover, at least)

vCash
    They really need to add HD and more programming (instead of showing the same thing 10 times a week) to have a good argument for a premium fee model. Showing *every* skater at every event *live* would be a good start. (every event they cover, at least)
    I thought the deal would be that they would broadcast in HD, which would be awesome.

vCash
    Letter from Universal Sports CEO David Sternberg
    Published: Jan 4, 2012

"In addition to DIRECTV, we are pleased to announce that subscribers of MTC Cable (New York), Waitsfield Cable (Vermont), Cascade Communications (Oregon), Hiawatha Broadband (Minnesota) and IPTV-distributor SkyAngel will now also have access to Universal Sports Network."

Full letter @

http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=573543.html
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash

This was just Twitter from US

vCash
    Is it just me, or are they shooting themselves in the foot here?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    "acraven" posted a link to Universal Sports that lists what stations they are using on to show Universal Sports in different states. (Thanks for the link, BTW...) For Chicago, ILLINOIS which is where I live, it lists:

Comcast 251
    RCN 51
    WOW! 196
    NBC over-the-air 5.3

I have Comcast. And Univ Sports used to be on channel 251, then switched last month (without telling me!) to channel 362 or something. I had to scroll thru every station looking for it! Thanks Comcast!

It disappeared entirely on New Year's Day. What a joke! I pay an arm and a leg for Comcast and have the upgraded, upgraded package to get Speedvision for my husband. So, he has all these extra sports stations and now I don't even have ONE! All I care about is figure skating and gymnastics and it's rarely on regular stations like NBC. I guess I'll have to go to You Tube from now on and just hope the lucky folks who actually get Universal Sports are nice enough to post stuff on there...

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I doubt it. They negotiated with DirectTV which has a huge distribution.On DirectTV, it's part of a bigger sports package (10 channels). Figure skating is a very small part of the overall sports programming. We tend to forget that.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavergne100 View Post
    "acraven" posted a link to Universal Sports that lists what stations they are using on to show Universal Sports in different states. (Thanks for the link, BTW...) For Chicago, ILLINOIS which is where I live, it lists:

Comcast 251
    RCN 51
    WOW! 196
    NBC over-the-air 5.3

I have Comcast. And Univ Sports used to be on channel 251, then switched last month (without telling me!) to channel 362 or something. I had to scroll thru every station looking for it! Thanks Comcast!

It disappeared entirely on New Year's Day. What a joke! I pay an arm and a leg for Comcast and have the upgraded, upgraded package to get Speedvision for my husband. So, he has all these extra sports stations and now I don't even have ONE! All I care about is figure skating and gymnastics and it's rarely on regular stations like NBC. I guess I'll have to go to You Tube from now on and just hope the lucky folks who actually get Universal Sports are nice enough to post stuff on there...
    Um, you can always pay the very reasonable fee for universalsports.com and watch online.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast