Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lindsay Davis/Themistocles Leftheris (USA) Split

I thought this news deserved its own thread in the GSD where more people would see it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lindsay Davis has listed herself on icepartnersearch: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=3736

Davis/Leftheris have officially split as their names have been removed from both the Team C envelope and the International Selection Pool on the USFS site.

vCash
    I thought they were very promising.

Is this a record off season for splits?

vCash
    Is Themi looking for a new partner? (and, has Caitlyn Y found one?)

vCash
    Oh No! Not yet another US pairs split! I hope they both find the right partners. I remember Themi from the 2006 US nationals, skating with NNN.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    That was my first reaction!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    That was my first reaction!
    Maybe we will hear some good news soon. I know my fingers are crossed.

vCash
    ^Yes, it's a strange feeling to be positive about a split of a top team. Normally, that's sad news

So, I'll go there [if just for a moment of fantasy] - would Themi be a good partner for Caitlin? ETA - WE don't know why they split up. Do we? It could be she wanted to concentrate on singles, but he is 29 yrs. old, though. I wonder how much fire he has to start over for like the 4th time, and maybe he just wants to retire, too.
    Last edited by olympic; 09-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.

vCash
    I would LOVE it if he and yankowskas joined. They would be a force to reckon with internationally

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    WE don't know why they split up. Do we? It could be she wanted to concentrate on singles, but he is 29 yrs. old, though. I wonder how much fire he has to start over for like the 4th time, and maybe he just wants to retire, too.
    Well, she posted herself right away on icepartnersearch, so she's clearly looking to continue in pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Well, she posted herself right away on icepartnersearch, so she's clearly looking to continue in pairs.

I realized that after I left home this AM for work. I guess it's 3 hrs. of sleep working on my brain.

So, we do know that she is looking for a partner. He is not listed. I guess that would mean he is contemplating retirement or he has found someone

vCash
    Didn`t Caitlin have a try-out in California 2months ago in the same rink where Themi practices?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Didn`t Caitlin have a try-out in California 2months ago in the same rink where Themi practices?
    I believe her tryout was with AJ Reiss, who is also coached by Peter Oppegard.

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    Someone needs to get Caitlyn & Themi together

vCash
    What has been Themi's highest finish at Nationals? I've seen him in person and he is a very strong partner.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    THAOMI bronzed in 07 iirc
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    We'll probably never know the reasons for the split... or how they split... but to break up less than two weeks after the U.S. Figure Skating Qualifying Deadline? Really?

Not that it would have been much better to break up 1-2 weeks before the Sept. 1 deadline to then encourage one/both to potentially rush into a partnership with someone who was available and not necessarily an ideal match. But still. I suppose it's better than drawing it out, collecting the envelope money, spending the money to train a few months longer, and ultimately wasting time with one another when they can be searching for partners (or new coaches) and sharpening up their solo skating skills.

Sigh. They were looking really overall at Indy Challenge. Best of luck to them both. I for one will miss them this season at Nationals. I wonder if one of the "straws" was they felt they weren't being supported by U.S. Figure Skating with the lack of international assignments, etc.

Is there any indication that Lindsay may have entered Regionals ladies this year?

vCash
    NONONONO!

You all know how much I loved this team.

What a lovely start to my early class day.

Oh well. I hope Lindsay picks up singles again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle View Post
    I wonder if one of the "straws" was they felt they weren't being supported by U.S. Figure Skating with the lack of international assignments, etc.
    I'm not sure what USFS can do about this... The competition opportunities for Sr Pairs who are not in line for a GP or at least a host pick to Skate America (so pretty much anyone outside the top 6 nationally) are rather horrible. In the other disciplines, it is easy to have a fulfilling competitive season... There are several decent summer competitions, Regionals, Sectionals, a couple solid Senior Bs... Sectionals and even Regionals can be quite intense and exciting, making it an honor to qualify to Nationals. Sr Pairs pretty much have none of that. Indy is great, but good luck finding much, if any, meaningful competition after that until Nationals unless you are a GP team.

Even without this split, USFS should probably rethink the whole "first groups of pairs skate in a separate session at Nationals" thing. We don't have enough pairs for that to make any real sense. I know it's for TV purposes, but it seems silly to have 3 or fewer pairs skating separately.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 09-14-2011 at 06:30 AM.

vCash
    Yeah, maybe they were waiting to see if they got the last Skate America host pick and when they didn't it was the last straw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Even without this split, USFS should probably rethink the whole "first groups of pairs skate in a separate session at Nationals" thing. We don't have enough pairs for that to make any real sense. I know it's for TV purposes, but it seems silly to have 3 or fewer pairs skating separately.
    I totally agree, and mentioned that concern a while ago on the Pairs thread in the Trash Can folder.

Hopefully when they planned out the schedule, they were doing so under the impression of their being 14-16 pairs or so. Now we're down to likely 11 teams, and odds are at least someone else will get injured or split before Nationals. So that's probably 10 senior pairs teams that take the ice at Nationals.

8 pairs will compete in the final 2 flights on Sunday, so it's just degrading at this point to schedule the remaining 2 teams on Saturday night, as indicated now at http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/. Not to mention it's a complete inconvenience at this point for all of the officials serving on the Senior Pairs FS event to be spread over a second evening -- just for 2 additional teams. Adding the two teams to Sunday's schedule would only take up about... 20 minutes total (warm-up, free skates, IJS scoring pause, etc.), plus potentially one additional ice resurface depending on the Chief Referee's preference.

The individual "Session"/event tickets aren't on sale yet, are they? Hopefully the schedule will be updated before they are, to allow for all of the Senior Pairs to compete together on Sunday without having the excuse that they can't disappoint the ticket holders who have session tickets for Championship Ladies Free Skate & What-was-to-be-Championship-Pairs-Warm-Up-Groups-1&2..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast