vCash

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Great actor and I admire his bravery in dealing with the Begelman matter. RIP
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    RIP

I found this an odd coincidence with today's anniversary:

Robertson was airborne and piloting a private Beechcraft Baron directly over New York City on the morning of September 11, 2001. He was directly over the World Trade Center, climbing through 7,500 feet, when the first Boeing 767 struck. He was ordered by air traffic control to land immediately at the nearest airport following a nationwide order to ground all civilian and commercial aircraft following the attacks.

Death

On September 10, 2011, Robertson died from natural causes in New York one day after his 88th birthday.
    (from wikipedia)

-Bridget

vCash
    I hadn't realized he played the title role in the film, "Charley". RIP.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Cliff Robertson was wonderful in Charly. May he RIP.

Just me
    vCash
    RIP

The first movie I saw him in was Gidget. Loved him ever since.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I admired him so much.
    A terrific actor; and a person of principle and stature.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

RIP

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    What a very talented and underrated actor who played heroes, villians and all ranges in-between with equal skill and impact - from "Gidget", as the Big Kahuna , to JFK, to an evil politician in "The Best Man", to "Charly", of course, and so on.

What I have read in comments from both famous coworkers and ordinary people who happened to know or work with him is how truly kind, friendly and down-to-earth he was with each of them, without any show of ego.

His truth-telling in the Begelman affair cost him professionally and no doubt personally, but is completely in character with the ethical human being others have talked about him being.

ETA - I read the same story that John 3 17 quotes - how weird indeed.

Rest in peace, Mr. Robertson. Your legacy will be your art and your life, both very well done.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    His truth-telling in the Begelman affair cost him professionally and no doubt personally, but is completely in character with the ethical human being others have talked about him being.
    The thing is, Robertson was in a lose/lose situation. The IRS knocks on his door saying he did not report thousands of dollars that was paid to him by a movie company, I think Universal. Robertson knew he didn't get paid for work by Universal, and the investigation led to the fraud by Begelman, who wrote several checks for tens of thousands and then went to the bank and cashed them himself, fraudulently signing them. He already told the IRS he didn't receive that money and now he finds out one of the biggest players in Hollywood was the culprit. So he can lie to the IRS that he did in fact receive the money, which was already discovered to be fraudulent, or just go with the investigation. I don't understand why he was so blackballed professionally and socially, he was just doing what he HAD to do, courtesy of the IRS. You can't just claim fraud, you have to press charges against the person who defrauded you. Otherwise, you are still guilty of defrauding the IRS. A tough spot.
    He was also married to Dina Merrill at the time, someone with extreme wealth, being daughter of Marjorie Meriwether Post and heir to that fortune. It was said that Merrill divorced him due to the social blackballing. Very sad. I didn't realize he was still alive, and am glad he made it to 88. RIP.
    Last edited by Louise; 09-12-2011 at 09:37 PM.

vCash
    He was a wonderful actor but more importantly, he was, according to his daughter and friends, a wonderful person.

RIP, Cliff

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Sad to hear about this. Condolences to his Friends and Family. May he Rest In Peace.

vCash
    He also had a sort-of connection to figure skating - he did the English narration for the documentary Queen of the Ice about Sonja Henie.