Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

vCash
    My memories:

On that day, I was late to work. I heard someone on the bus mention “plane” and “building”, but I didn’t think anything more about it, figuring that I’d hear about what happened on the evening news.

I got to work, and was immediately confronted by a friend who exclaimed, “Did you hear what happened??” One of the attorneys in the office had recently had a stroke, so I assumed my friend was about to tell me that this attorney had died. She told me that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center.

I went back to my computer and tried to access CNN, but couldn’t due to all the net traffic. I then logged into the old FSW and started following the conversation that had already started on the Off-Topic board. I could hear others in the office talking about it, and then I realized someone had the TV on in the conference room. I went into the conference room and started watching the coverage with a number of my co-workers, including the two bosses.

Before this, I didn’t realize what the World Trade Center was. I knew of its existence, but couldn’t identify it in a picture if you’d showed me. I also got mixed up and thought the plane hit the United Nations building. So when I started watching coverage, my boss said, “The tower fell”. I thought ‘tower’ meant the upper part of the building, not the entire building. Anyway, I said, “but it’s right there – the tower’s right there”. He turned to me and said, “There are two of them.” I then realized fully what was going on, and said, “God help us.”

I watched for a few more minutes, and then returned to my desk to log back into FSW. I heard people in the office talking about the Sears Tower here in Chicago being evacuated. Being that my office building is across from City Hall, I knew we’d be evacuated too. One of my co-workers then walked by and said in a dull voice, “the second tower just fell.” We then got the word to evacuate the building. I had been contributing to the conversation on FSW, so I logged in again to let folks know I was being evacuated.

We left the office and walked to the train station. Major kudos to Metra for emptying out the Chicago downtown area after their morning rush trains had already been sent back to the train yards. They brought trains in one at a time, loaded them to capacity, then sent it on and brought in the next train. My ride home was quick considering the circumstances.

When I got home, I turned on the TV. I also logged into FSW and saw that someone had told me on the thread to check in when I got home to let everyone know I was okay. I received an email from a skating buddy’s mom who said he asked her to email his friends in Chicago to be sure we were okay. I found out later that among the tons of incorrect reports going on during those first few frantic hours, there were reports that a plane was headed to Chicago.

I received a call from a friend from church, who advised me that the pastor was holding a special service that evening. She asked me to call members of our ministry team to let them know of this service. One girl I talked to was in tears – her uncle was at the Pentagon and was missing. (He was injured, but alive, thankfully – yet his family didn’t know for weeks that he was alive because of security issues…) We had church that night, the following night (Wednesday, our usual mid-week service time), Thursday night, and Friday night.

For many years I kept the original thread from FSW on my home computer. Every once in awhile I would read it to remember the emotions and situations that went on that day, as they were related post-by-post from people all over the world who contributed to the message board.

As I watched the ceremonies this past Sunday, I cried a lot as family members and friends read the names of those who died, as they caressed names in cold stone instead of being able to touch and hold those the names represented. I pray peace and healing to all those who went through this horror, to those who lost loved ones, and to all those who still experience the aftermath of these events. Words seem so shallow sometimes, but they are heartfelt.
    Last edited by Kruss; 09-14-2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    (Whole post)

Agalisgv,

I am so sorry to hear these stories! Cruisin is right; your aunt must forgive herself because she really could not be the cause of this.
    ^This^
    And I am so sorry about your uncle.

I saw a list of countries who had citizens that died that day. So many...

vCash
    We were playing a silly `true or false' game while back from a company trip the other day. One of the coworkers said he missed his flight being late and it turned out to be one of those 4 planes. We were sure it was fasle, but apparently it's true. He is new and I don't know him well yet, but glad he was late.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    My dad worked for the military and spent much of his time at the Pentagon. That day we tried contacting him, but all the circuits were down. He turned out to be ok. My uncle worked in the next department from my dad. He was called in that day to either pick up or drop off some files at the Pentagon. He was there when the plane stuck. He did not survive.

My cousin was living with me at the time. Because her mom had health issues, she had been raised for awhile by her auntie (the two were very close). Her auntie was a stewardess for United Airlines. Whenever my cousin wanted to visit me, her auntie would give her free vouchers of some sort for her to fly.

On 9/11, we knew her auntie was scheduled to fly, but didn't know when or which flight. Again, circuits were down so we couldn't locate her right away. We later learned she was scheduled for UA 93 that day. In a strange twist of fate, my cousin's auntie switched flights at the last minute with her best friend. It was her daughter's first day of kindergarten, so she called her bf to see if she would switch routes with her at the last minute in order to go with her daughter to her first day of school. Her friend agreed to the switch. We later learned her bf was the first to be killed--her throat was apparently slashed. My cousin's auntie has never forgiven herself for her bf's death.
    Oh my god, I am so sorry for this.

I can imagine how your counsin's aunt feels, but she had nothing to do with this.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I went to observe a band today for my method's class for pre-student-teaching.

It was the top band at a really, really good school, and they were playing some chorales as a warm up. When they got to the second chorale, the teacher told them a story, of how the band had just finished playing this same chorale during this hour on September 11, 2001, and they'd played it beautifully. He said it had been just gorgeous, nearly brought tears to his eyes.

He still doesn't know how this student knew, but as the last notes faded away, a tuba player yelled, "Oh my God, turn on CNN!"

And they turned it on in time to see the second plane hit, and continued watching the rest of the period in horror. One girl's father was supposed to have a meeting in the WTC that day, and she was crying because she didn't know what time (he was okay; it was scheduled for the afternoon).

He said that every time that group of students played this particular chorale from then on, the emotion on it was of a depth high school students normally cannot achieve.

The current group, today, then sight-read the chorale. And it was funny how noticeably different it was from the chorale they had just played. The depth of musicality was fantastic. It was really beautiful. I wish I could remember the name of that particular chorale right now.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Oh my god, I am so sorry for this.

I can imagine how your cousin's aunt feels, but she had nothing to do with this.
    Certainly one of many times when I hope that "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted" is really true.

So very sorry for the loss of your uncle, agalisgv, and my thoughts are with you, your family and especially your cousin's aunt, whom I hope will find solace and some measure of closure in being able to be present now for her own family - everything else was beyond her control.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Someone I know wrote this very interesting account of living in Jordan on 9/11: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....rdan/#comments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Someone I know wrote this very interesting account of living in Jordan on 9/11: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn....rdan/#comments.
    Thank you for that link.

vCash
    zippy, thanks from me, also.

vCash
    Thanks, everyone for sharing your memories and thoughts on this anniversary. In particular, thanks to UMBS and Agalisgv for sharing your stories. ((((everyone))))

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567