View Poll Results: Thoughts On Tipping

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • I NEVER TIP! EVER!!

1 0.78%
  • I am against the idea of tipping, but I do so anyway...

9 6.98%
  • I Reluctantly Tip Around the 10% Mark

2 1.55%
  • I Tip Around the 15% Mark

40 31.01%
  • I Tip Around the 20% Mark

68 52.71%
  • I Tip Around the 25% Mark

7 5.43%
  • I Tip Over 25%

2 1.55%
  • Some Places I Tip...Others I Refuse

12 9.30%
  • I Tip When I Remember To

0 0%
  • What's Tipping Again

0 0%
  • Oops...Forgot!

0 0%
  • Others Seem To Be So Much Better At It Than Me!!!

2 1.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    That answers the question about division of the tips but why?
    Because people put money into it. It wouldn't be there if it was continuously empty. It ends only when people stop putting money in!

vCash
    I never used to tip much until I did a job where tips happen. Now, I always tip well if the service has been good.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I think that what Panera Bread does is actually nice (I hope I am not being naive). They do not have a tip container, but a container to put what you would offer as a tip, which goes to a local food bank. They all have them and they support their communities, I think that's great.
    That does sound like a nice thing. I haven't noticed one in our local Panera but I don't go there very often - I'll have to look for it next time.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    It seems this thread topic comes up every 6-9 months and I will bet that it comes up around Christmas or holidays.

In theory, I object to the need for tipping. There are many service jobs that if someone was tipping on service alone would get a tip. Most every job is based upon the service that they provide to another. Where and when do you say that tipping should or should not be an "expectation"? Some professions or employers have a rule that one should not accept a tip (healthcare is one). Do you tip the plummer? the cable installer? the person who sells you your phone, furniture, etc. They can provide you great service above and beyond or poor service.

In practice I generally tip 20% for dining wait staff. But then I am confused as to whether I should independently give tips to the staff who clean the tables or are the assistant to the wait staff. Do I include a tip for the cook - they did a great part of the work for my meal? The people whose only job is to seat me?

In practice I tip my hair stylist and when I went to a massage therapist ~ 15-20% but my dilemma is when I tip well one time, now I am stuck with doing the same tip every time. Maybe I thought today's service was outstanding but not the next time, maybe I had a little extra money that I could share this appointment but the next time I have experienced a money flow issue like a loss of job or medical issue. And I have been advised that owners of their establishments should not be tipped because they entire amount of the payment for the service goes into their pocket.

Until these issues started cropping up, I never considered tipping for postal services, housekeeping services in hotels/motels. Tipping is so sensitive in nature

vCash
    I normally tip 20% but has this always been the norm? It just seems like it used to be less. Or maybe I was just younger and didn't know any better.

vCash
    My experience was that 10% seemed to be the norm back in the sixties and seventies. 15% in the eighties and nineties, and now 20% seems pretty common for restaurant tipping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    That answers the question about division of the tips but why? Sure, found money is always a nice thing but where does it end?
    Why? Because I know what it's like to be on the other side of that counter. You have to put up with some sh*t and attitude from customers who think they can yank your chain just because you're working a low-wage job. I tip if they're doing strong work just to show that they're appreciated.

When I was working there, I knew that maybe only a fraction of a cent from each tip would find its way back to me, but if anything I appreciated the gesture more than the money, and thanked the customer even if it was only a few pennies.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Why? Because I know what it's like to be on the other side of that counter. You have to put up with some sh*t and attitude from customers who think they can yank your chain just because you're working a low-wage job. I tip if they're doing strong work just to show that they're appreciated.

When I was working there, I knew that maybe only a fraction of a cent from each tip would find its way back to me, but if anything I appreciated the gesture more than the money, and thanked the customer even if it was only a few pennies.

So if you had a wonderful customer who was understanding and kind and let you go ahead and serve that ass yelling about their mocha and missing their bus do you tip them?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    In practice I generally tip 20% for dining wait staff. But then I am confused as to whether I should independently give tips to the staff who clean the tables or are the assistant to the wait staff. Do I include a tip for the cook - they did a great part of the work for my meal? The people whose only job is to seat me?
    No - the bussers and cooks are paid out by the server, so a portion of your tip is already going to them.

When I was a busboy I did get a thrill out of the occasional direct tip from a customer, but it was a high end restaurant and if I did get a direct tip, it was generally a dollar (I think I once got a $10 direct tip and was overjoyed, whee!). So if a busser ends up giving really exemplary service, feel free to tip them, but it's not necessary or expected.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    While I always tip, I didn't vote on this poll, because I tip according to what kind service I recieved.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Until these issues started cropping up, I never considered tipping for postal services, housekeeping services in hotels/motels. Tipping is so sensitive in nature
    Postal services?! The UPS man probably makes more than I do, and I know that USPS does. The only person I could see tipping is a bike messenger, and that's more of a delivery service like pizza delivery.

vCash
    Postal services? Are you referring to tipping when receiving a package in your room during an extended stay at a hotel? Or perhaps giving the postman a gift for Christmas? Because I've done those things, but I can't think of other situations where I'd consider it appropriate to tip someone for postal services.

vCash
    My garbage truck driver sends us a Christmas card every year and I send him some cash or a gas card. That's hard work that I think deserves something.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I give a Christmas/Holiday tip/gift to the postman, the trash collector, my manicurist, and my hair stylist (on the day that I give the gifts to the manicurist/hairstylist, that is in lieu of a regular tip).

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't understand the people who are confused about why they have to tip and where to draw the line on who to tip. When it comes to restaurants, in the US, you tip because the server makes around $2 an hour and relies on tips to make enough money to live. No one can live on $2 an hour in the US. You tip or don't eat in the restaurant. There is no point in arguing about whether you should tip the chef, bus boys, etc just to make yourself feel better when you stiff the waitress. The bus boys make at least minimum wage AND the servers tip out to them, usually a percentage of their sales or tips. The chefs make a salary or an hourly wage.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Brian - I think you missed my post that in reality I tip between 15-20%.

And basically my question wasn't one that I need an answer for, although genevieve did clear up something I had wondered about. I have never been a wait staff person but my roommate in college was and I saw how hard she worked, how tired she was at the end of a shift. I have no doubt that the wait staff work hard for the money. I tip more than my husband. I tip more if I have squatted at a table for a longer period of time that normal.

It was at what point should we no longer consider a person's job a service? Should it be based upon salary tables and if so, should those salaries be made known when you enter a restaurant or hair salon or other business, so that you know what you are expect to compensate for the lack of employer responsibility? if a certain service provider makes less than xx amount per hour we are obligated to make it up? I am paying for a service or meal that the owner is getting a profit from, why should I subsidize their lack of proper payment for their employees? However that is an issue for PI. The lack of responsibility of employers to pay and appropriately support their employees because it eats into their profits.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    (is thinking about putting out a tip jar at the nursing station; we may be paid better, but it's never enough for being treated like a physical and verbal pinata on a regular basis....)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    imagine what kind of stuff might be put in the jar at the nursing station....
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    (is thinking about putting out a tip jar at the nursing station; we may be paid better, but it's never enough for being treated like a physical and verbal pinata on a regular basis....)
    When my parents were in the hospital, we usually brought the nurses a box of chocolate or some cookies from the bakery. Not a real tip, but an expression of appreciation for truly wonderful women and men.

vCash
    Cruisin, so true. My dad spent some time in a nursing home and I had some unwanted gifts (pjs, robes) that I took to the staff to give to the long term residents there. Never have I seen so much joy in the staff that had Christmas presents to give to the patients who did not have family in the area. I bawled all the way to my car and home.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast