View Poll Results: Thoughts On Tipping

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • I NEVER TIP! EVER!!

1 0.78%
  • I am against the idea of tipping, but I do so anyway...

9 6.98%
  • I Reluctantly Tip Around the 10% Mark

2 1.55%
  • I Tip Around the 15% Mark

40 31.01%
  • I Tip Around the 20% Mark

68 52.71%
  • I Tip Around the 25% Mark

7 5.43%
  • I Tip Over 25%

2 1.55%
  • Some Places I Tip...Others I Refuse

12 9.30%
  • I Tip When I Remember To

0 0%
  • What's Tipping Again

0 0%
  • Oops...Forgot!

0 0%
  • Others Seem To Be So Much Better At It Than Me!!!

2 1.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    What's with the eye roll? In Texas (and many other states), waiters make 2.13 an hour.

Your employer is suppose to compensate you if you don't make an average of standard minimum wage per hour, but in my experience this isn't always the case. At the end of the night you have to report what you made. Though I have had on separate occasions and at different restaurants, managers alter the servers' tip input so upper management will be happy. Luckily most of us had saved our receipts and it was corrected, and they of course blamed it on a technical glitch. Anyway, end of my rant there....

That being said, it isn't like most waiters are getting paid minimum wage plus a bunch of other tips. Plus there is usually some form of tip share for the hosts, expos and cooks that the waiters share.

I'm all for what is done in Europe and other places - just give the waitstaff a base hourly wage and forget tipping.I think this really lets a lot of restaurants off the hook as far as compensation of their employees and puts the weight of doing so on the patron. I don't think it keeps the servers any more "in check" than if they got their income off tips. I've found that you can give average service and get a great tip, and give excellent service and get bad tip. There is probably only a marginal correlation, so long as the service isn't terribly bad, and in that case the server would get fired anyway.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    By the way, my opinion on tipping hair stylists is much more relaxed. Some hairstylists work for themselves and therefore keep much more of their take from a client than someone who works as an employee and gives the salon 50%. Of course nothing is free, stylists who work for themselves may have rent space, booth rental, product use, etc to factor in but they still keep well over 50% So it kind of depends who is doing my hair as to how much I tip. I know many people don't tip salon owners, for example, and actually many salon owners will simply not accept tips.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    What's with the eye roll? In Texas (and many other states), waiters make 2.13 an hour.
    The eye roll is for your ridiculous assertion that wait staff make $2.13 an hour in Texas without the caveat that tips are on top of that. I'm not against tipping (I tip generously as a matter of fact) and I'm not against the whole tipping environment being overturned by requiring that everyone making a living wage. I am against the intellectually dishonest crap that people spew when they talk about making $2.13 an hour.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Maybe they need to unionize.
    i once worked in a place that tried to do that and everyone was fired. they paid to import an entire staff from another state just to avoid it.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    If I have an extended stay vacation, I will leave a tip for the maids. One night - no. I waitressed in high school and college - we got lower than minimum wage and had to report an 8% tip on every food and beverage sale as income. So if someone stiffed us on a tip, the IRS still assumed we got a minimum tip of 8% and had to pay taxes on such.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    If I have an extended stay vacation, I will leave a tip for the maids. One night - no. I waitressed in high school and college - we got lower than minimum wage and had to report an 8% tip on every food and beverage sale as income. So if someone stiffed us on a tip, the IRS still assumed we got a minimum tip of 8% and had to pay taxes on such.
    Ignoring each individual transaction did you not make at least minimum wage for a weeks work?
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    ^ yes, but much of it was in cash. That's the part the IRS wants their hands on!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    ^ yes, but much of it was in cash. That's the part the IRS wants their hands on!
    My point exactly. Why shouldn't someone pay income tax on cash wages?
    3539 and counting.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    It's a great American myth that wait staff don't make at least minimum wage. If their tips don't take their hourly wage to at least the minimum then the employer is required to make up the difference. Does that always work in practice? I'm sure it doesn't. In order for it to happen wait staff have to report their tips and they're often reluctant to do that because once it's on paper then their tax liability may be higher. Some of them make big bucks. Minimum wage isn't a lot to survive on, and often people can't, but this idea that wait staff are taking home a couple of dollars an hour is crap.
    Yeah. If you don't tip, the employers have to make it up to minimum. If servers don't want to report it because it raises their tax withholding, on behalf of the hourlies in the kitchen who don't have a choice about that and take home substantially less in most restaurants, tough luck. Report your tips, and if you don't get tips, tell the employer and get your paycheck with the appropriate withholding.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Purple.
    It's a great American myth that wait staff don't make at least minimum wage. If their tips don't take their hourly wage to at least the minimum then the employer is required to make up the difference. Does that always work in practice? I'm sure it doesn't. In order for it to happen wait staff have to report their tips and they're often reluctant to do that because once it's on paper then their tax liability may be higher. Some of them make big bucks. Minimum wage isn't a lot to survive on, and often people can't, but this idea that wait staff are taking home a couple of dollars an hour is crap.
    I find your thinking to be inconsistent.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I find your thinking to be inconsistent.

Makes perfect sense to me. Oh wait, I meant 42.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Makes perfect sense to me. Oh wait, I meant 42.
    Wow! You know the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I tip 20% minimum in restaurants (have only left no tip once in my life, and that was earned). I get a pedicure once in a while and will usually tip up to $35 on a $28 service; haircuts/styling, I'll tip $5-10, depending on the cost and how long the service took, as well as how much I like the result. I get a massage once in a while from a high-school friend who only charges me $30, but I'll pay her about $45 usually (still about $15 cheaper than most massages in this area).

It kind of annoys me to see tip jars at Port of Subs/Subway, or Starbucks type shops (i.e., where there is no waiting on people at tables, just making their order). Because as I see it, you aren't providing a specific service to ME, like coming to my table, cutting my hair, painting my toes, etc; you are just doing your job, aka making coffee or a sandwich. But still, I'll drop in the coin change from whatever my order is into the tip jar.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Wow! You know the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.
    Yep.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It was you.
    Of course it was Wonder why it was so different in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    It kind of annoys me to see tip jars at Port of Subs/Subway, or Starbucks type shops (i.e., where there is no waiting on people at tables, just making their order). Because as I see it, you aren't providing a specific service to ME, like coming to my table, cutting my hair, painting my toes, etc; you are just doing your job, aka making coffee or a sandwich. But still, I'll drop in the coin change from whatever my order is into the tip jar.
    I agree. I will add some change if all I get back is a few pennies. But, if I'm just getting a regular coffee and not a special coffee, I think it's ridiculous.

vCash
    The eye roll is for your ridiculous assertion that wait staff make $2.13 an hour in Texas without the caveat that tips are on top of that. I'm not against tipping (I tip generously as a matter of fact) and I'm not against the whole tipping environment being overturned by requiring that everyone making a living wage. I am against the intellectually dishonest crap that people spew when they talk about making $2.13 an hour.
    Dishonest crap? Thanks, considering I no way insulted what you wrote in my previous post.

I don't think I ever asserted that waiters don't receive tips, and nor was that my intention. My problem is that for whatever reason, many people assume that waiters make the federal minimum wage of 7.25, when in fact, most do not, and therefore they don't see a need to tip.

Plus, there is always the implication from management that if you did not receive any tips or did very poorly than that it is a reflection of your abilities.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    For restaurants, I carry a Tip Card with me that shows you what 15% and 20% tip should be on the dollar amount, and I always round up so the amount is an even $$ amount on my CC bill. I usually end up tipping around 18-20%. Excellent service gets more, but I usually always give at least 15%.

When I get a haircut ($35) I always give her $10. Hmm ... that's enough, isn't? Same girl I've been going to for years. She was at a department store salon, then several of the girls left and opened their own salon so I followed her there.

vCash
    I usually tip around 15% for an OK service, a little higher for better service, 20% for outstanding, 10% for poor service. In very rare events (I think it only happened once) I did not tip because I was deeply offended by the server's remark.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    My problem is that for whatever reason, many people assume that waiters make the federal minimum wage of 7.25, when in fact, most do not, and therefore they don't see a need to tip.
    They do?

I haven't taken a poll or anything, but I can't think of anyone I have ever known living anywhere in the US who was not completely aware that most servers make less than minimum wage. I have known a couple of people who refused to tip, but that had nothing to do with not understanding that servers don't make minimum wage.

there is always the implication from management that if you did not receive any tips or did very poorly than that it is a reflection of your abilities.
    IME, it often is. While every server gets stiffed from time to time, tips overall nearly always reflect, at least in part, the quality of service. This is usually tempered by the type of restaurant they work in, but again--if you are a good server, you can usually get a job at a higher end restaurant and make more in tips.

I know several people who work in the food service business and they all make well over minimum wage with tips. If they didn't, they would work in fast food, where they would make minimum wage. I've asked every server I know if they would prefer minimum wage with no tips or less than minimum wage with tips, and they have all said tips, tips, tips. But I find it hard to believe that servers would prefer working for minimum wage, since, you know, they almost certainly could do that instead. I know someone who just quit a job as a receptionist in a dentist's office so she could go back to work waiting tables, because she made more money that way. One of my friends spent years waiting on tables in a tavern so she could make enough money to afford to teach literature (if you think servers are underpaid, try being an adjunct for a while).

Now that may just be my friends; I do understand that. But still--if you aren't making enough in tips to make minimum wage, why not try to find a minimum wage job?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Penny wise and pound foolish. I'm not going to get rich by saving 3% on my dinner bill, so why be cheap? (This from someone who has bought a $30 sweater, then stood in the grocery store for 5 minutes trying to calculate whether buying a 3-pack of tissue boxes is cheaper than individual packs!)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast