View Poll Results: Thoughts On Tipping

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • I NEVER TIP! EVER!!

1 0.78%
  • I am against the idea of tipping, but I do so anyway...

9 6.98%
  • I Reluctantly Tip Around the 10% Mark

2 1.55%
  • I Tip Around the 15% Mark

40 31.01%
  • I Tip Around the 20% Mark

68 52.71%
  • I Tip Around the 25% Mark

7 5.43%
  • I Tip Over 25%

2 1.55%
  • Some Places I Tip...Others I Refuse

12 9.30%
  • I Tip When I Remember To

0 0%
  • What's Tipping Again

0 0%
  • Oops...Forgot!

0 0%
  • Others Seem To Be So Much Better At It Than Me!!!

2 1.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Regarding minimum wage for servers, different states have different laws. In California, for instance, minimum wage is mandatory before tips are added.

vCash
    I worked for tips many years ago, so I always treat the server with respect and tip generously.

vCash
    I've waited tables on and off over the past four years, and I can tell you, waiters (at least in the US) make crap. We make 2.13 an hour. I wish more people knew this. So basically, I feel like 10% is acceptable if the waiter did a shitty job, 15% if it was slightly below average and 20% is standard, and 25% is for excellent service.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    I've waited tables on and off over the past four years, and I can tell you, waiters (at least in the US) make crap. We make 2.13 an hour. I wish more people knew this.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I usually leave a 20% tip at nail salons.

At hair salons I tip anywhere from 10% to 20% depending on how pleased I am with the end result and how much I can afford. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know you were supposed to tip hair stylists until I was well into my thirties.
    Is a hair stylist an euphemism for the person who washes your hair? Because I was really surprised to find out you are supposed to tip that person, too. Which I find absolutely ridiculous. If they have an extra person sweeping the floor, should I tip them too? That would be 4 people already. And the owner now even if they did nothing? Haha.

I'm a pretty good tipper at restaurants.

I've been tipping my hairdresser 50% lately. Mainly because she doesn't charge me much and she does everything herself. I'm dreading finding another one, because I am not going to tip every single person at a salon that crosses my path. I'm paying for my haircut and I'm tipping the person who cuts my hair. If they have someone to just wash people's hair, sorry. I'm not going to tip someone for washing my hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I worked for tips many years ago, so I always treat the server with respect and tip generously.
    Me too. I served and bartended during undergrad. I had a lot of regulars who tipped me well and in general, I made really good money. However, I certainly had my share of bad tips and extremely rude customers. I try my best to be as low maintenance as possible. I live in a city with several colleges and I always tip generously because, like Civic, I know that many of these servers are putting themselves through college, but also because I certainly benefitted fromt he generosity of others when I was serving in Nashville. Oliver and I consistently get waited on by students of ours at local restaurants. Someone on Rate My Professor once said that not only was a I good teacher, I was a good tipper . I tend to be really understanding when people are having a bad night.

I probably tip hairdressers, massage therapists, and aestheticians more than most. I feel like I have to trust a person to let them touch my hair and/or my body. I'm a loyalist, so if I find someone I like, I stick with them. I feel more inclined then to tip very generously.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Title-less
    vCash
    I normally tip the 15% that is expected; more if the waiter goes out of his/her way to be nice; and less if the service is not up to par.

One time I asked for a virgin pena colada, and I specified the virgin part. The waiter served it, and I asked again, "Is this virgin?" and he said yes. I drank it and felt tipsy for quite some time. That time I didn't tip at all.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post

I LOATHE people who do not tip. I can understand if you think the restaurant should just pay a full wage and add it to your bill (please, don't be so naive as to think the prices will stay the same!!) but you can't just refuse to tip. If that is how you feel then DO NOT GO EAT IN A RESTAURANT!!! It is mind boggling that people can just not pay for a service. You wouldn't go to your dentist without insurance and then just walk out and say "no, I feel like the government should supply healthcare for everyone and I will not pay for this...have a good day!"
    Well, normally when you pay for a service the total cost to you is included in the price. I presume dentists in the US don't ask for a tip after they've given you fillings for the service of doing so.

I'll tip when I'm in the US because it's part of the social etiquette, but I think it's an annoying and confusing practice. How much? To whom? When? Pay your staff a decent wage and pass the cost on to your customers in higher prices innit. How much a person earns shouldn't be dependent on whether a customer is generous or not.

No tipping in Japan and the level of customer service is overall the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. And I find the general standard of food service in France much better than the US. Just saying.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Well, normally when you pay for a service the total cost to you is included in the price. I presume dentists in the US don't ask for a tip after they've given you fillings for the service of doing so.

I'll tip when I'm in the US because it's part of the social etiquette, but I think it's an annoying and confusing practice. How much? To whom? When? Pay your staff a decent wage and pass the cost on to your customers in higher prices innit. How much a person earns shouldn't be dependent on whether a customer is generous or not.

No tipping in Japan and the level of customer service is overall the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. And I find the general standard of food service in France much better than the US. Just saying.
    Why am I NOT surprised?

vCash
    I tip where tipping is customary, but... It drives me nut when people travel and don't follow the customs of the place they visit. Many years ago I was traveling in New Zealand. Back then all the tourist brochures made it very clear that tipping WAS NOT part of the culture. I'm not sure now, but back then I know that many North American tourists did tip and it was causing problems for the locals.

I also don't think that owners should be tipped, but it can be difficult if the tip options is on the credit card reader. Pressing no makes me feel cheap, so I usually end up leaving a tip.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Why am I NOT surprised?
    I'm not French so I'm allowed to say it.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I'm tipping 20% at restaurants these days, but always leaving extra if we end up occupying the table for a while. Yesterday I went to breakfast with a group (separate checks) -- we were there for 1 1/2 hours, and the people on either side of me tipped 15%. I figured 30% was not at all unreasonable for mine given how long we'd been there, but I gather that is not the common approach.

vCash
    I tip 15% - 20% at restaurants, bars and salons [hair, pedicure]

I tip $1 / bag for bellman at Hotels; $1 per day for the Hotel Housekeeper [ex - $4 for a 4-day stay]; $5 for a good restaurant recommendation from the Hotel Concierge, more $$ if the Concierge went above and beyond on a project during my stay.

I tip 15% to taxi drivers on top of the fare. Lately, a lot of taxi drivers have been acting like they deserve more

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Regarding minimum wage for servers, different states have different laws. In California, for instance, minimum wage is mandatory before tips are added.
    Minimum wage is the same for all professions in WA State as well - AND the minimum wage here is the highest in the nation, so servers make at least $8.67/hour. So I suppose that people who are indignant about having to tip to bring wages to the minimum could avoid tipping in Washington but they're still jerks .

I tip 20%+ in restaurants unless the service is offensive

Coffee shops I either tip $1 (for places I frequent often, which are always independently owned), round up to the next dollar (for places I don't normally go, or if the minimal customer service required of baristas is unstellar, or not at all (at Starbucks, because their employees get full benefits , or if the barista is too busy talking to their friends to pay attention to their customers).

I was shocked when I moved here that baristas had tip jars, but I was one for 3 years and the wages aren't really enough to live on in the city even if they're minimum wage, and the tips aren't anywhere near those of restaurant servers, so I reward great coffee making - it also increases your odds of the barista remembering you and going out of their way to make a fab drink every time.

Bars - $1 per drink or 20%, whichever is greater

I'm embarrassed to say that I had never heard of tipping massage therapists before a thread here a few years ago. I still have never tipped a massage therapist....I guess I could see tipping a massage therapist in a hotel or spa, but that's not the kind of massage I'm interested in. I go to independent LMTs, most of whom work out of their homes, and for many years I got a "dancer discount"... it would feel strange to then add on when they set the price and they aren't paying a percentage to some other company.

I've never gone to a hair salon where the person who washes my hair is different from the person who cuts/colors it. I feel less confident about how I tip at the hair place - I think i tip around 20%, sometimes I feel like it's not enough, others like I'm being really extravagant (2 people I work with go to the same place and they tip about half what I do).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Ah, the bellman reminds me of something else.

Do you tip if they help you but it wasn't asked for? When I (and a bunch of fellow students) were leaving Peru and disembarked at the airport, these guys appeared out of nowhere and more or less hauled our stuff to the check-in line without us asking and then proceeded to follow us demanding a tip. I ended up giving mine some just to make him go away, but the other girls flatly refused to pay, and the guys followed us through the security line going "Tip! Tip! Tip!" for a good 10-15 minutes. Man, that was awkward...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Bars - $1 per drink or 20%, whichever is greater
    In cases where I don't run a tab, but I know I'm going to have a few drinks, I give the bartender a 5 on the first drink. After that, I almost never have to wait to get a drink and my drinks are always strong.

I've often wondered about the shampoo person myself. For a long time, I went to a good friend of mine who had shampooed my hair as well as cutting it. Since moving here last year, I've been going to the same person at a salon and she always has an assistant shampoo my hair. I asked her if I should tip the assistant and she said that if I did, I'd probably get a nice scalp massage, but if I didn't it was no big deal because most people didn't.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post

Do you tip if they help you but it wasn't asked for? When I (and a bunch of fellow students) were leaving Peru and disembarked at the airport, these guys appeared out of nowhere and more or less hauled our stuff to the check-in line without us asking and then proceeded to follow us demanding a tip. I ended up giving mine some just to make him go away, but the other girls flatly refused to pay, and the guys followed us through the security line going "Tip! Tip! Tip!" for a good 10-15 minutes. Man, that was awkward...
    They saw you coming. In that case you pretty much have to rip the bags out of their hands if you don't want help and/or say NO forcefully. No pretty much works everywhere if you don't know the local language. On the other hand, if you want the help then tip.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    They saw you coming. In that case you pretty much have to rip the bags out of their hands if you don't want help and/or say NO forcefully. No pretty much works everywhere if you don't know the local language. On the other hand, if you want the help then tip.
    The last time I was flying through Detroit, a guy grabbed my bag up and hoisted it on to a cart. I told him that I didn't have any cash on me to tip him and without even looking, he unceremoniously pushed my bag off the cart and sped away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Is a hair stylist an euphemism for the person who washes your hair?
    No, the hair stylist is the person who colors, cuts, and/or blow dries your hair. The shampoo person is usually in beauty school, and watching/learning.

Because I was really surprised to find out you are supposed to tip that person, too. Which I find absolutely ridiculous. If they have an extra person sweeping the floor, should I tip them too? That would be 4 people already. And the owner now even if they did nothing? Haha.
    No, you only tip the person who actually works on you. But, sometimes in a very busy salon, one person might put on your color and if (s)he's busy, someone else will wash it. then you wind up tipping the stylist, the person who applies the color, and the person who washes it off. You don't tip the owner unless they are the person who does your hair, and then only if you feel it's appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    And I find the general standard of food service in France much better than the US. Just saying.
    I found the food service in Paris to be generally poor, bordering on rude. I rarely find that in the US. The food service in Italy, even in the tiniest of places, is always excellent.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I found the food service in Paris to be generally poor, bordering on rude.
    It was you.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast