Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozet View Post
    Also, to show her gym teachers who once gave her a low grade because they said Skater Grrrl "didn't show athletic ability appropriate for her age" because she bombed the basketball unit. I don't mind a note of "sucks at basketball" but I thought their note was a little much. I get prickly with the whole "skating is not a sport"' thing. Maybe too much so.
    Arrgggghhh. I was never any good at any sport we played in school, but I excelled at Alpine ski racing (not a school sport) and gymnastics (never ever got a PE unit on it). Fortunately, because of the skiing and gymnastics, I never had to take PE classes once I hit high school.

I'd like to see some "skating is not a sport" people take our skating director's bun burner of a stroking class on Saturday mornings. Not a sport!

vCash
    I would love to see a reality show that tries to find a "late bloomer" skater who can be coached to compete at the highest level. The lower age limit would be 16 with no upper age limit. Am I too much of a dreamer to think that a star could be discovered?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I would love to see a reality show that tries to find a "late bloomer" skater who can be coached to compete at the highest level. The lower age limit would be 16 with no upper age limit. Am I too much of a dreamer to think that a star could be discovered?
    I don't know. It is something still to be explored. But it's not in a reality show that something could happen, because the format of that kind of program is too short to allow a skater to develop to the point of reaching the high level.
    I believe it would still be easier for men to improve late because of their natural physical capacities that are more fitted for skating. But technical requirements for men are so high that I don't know if a late starter could learn quad jumps.
    A skater who can train as much as competitive kids, that is several hours a day, could reach a quite good level in several years. Just like kids, as long as the skater is really very talented. But it will be harder because kids will always have much more ease at learning new things, mentally and physically.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123