Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I think I still don't want to even think about it...

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I just rewatched the highlights of this EPIC Finale from 2011 Junior Worlds and realized that two of the players of the Gold medal winning team were on the plane
    Soooo young...
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavla2304 View Post
    My heart is breaking, what a tragedy, whole Czech republic is mourning our world champions. And Pavol Demitra, awwww

Deepest sympathy to the families of all who were killed in this horrible accident.

SOOO SAD
    Yes, and Jan Marek (31 y.o.) has just 4 weeks old son .... and he was thinking about going back home.
    For Karel Rachunek (32 y.o.) it would be surely last season in Russia, he desperately wanted to go back home. Have two small children.
    Both were World Ice Hockey Champions 2010.
    Josef Vasicek (would be 31 y.o. on 12th Sept.) won Stanely Cup with Carolina Hurricanes and was World Ice Hockey Champion in 2005.

Very sad news for the whole sport in Czech Republic.

vCash
    How sad…
    My deepest condolences go to them and their family.

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ann/news/w...210908020.html
    Last edited by NONKO; 09-08-2011 at 04:03 PM.

vCash
    This is so horrible. It's sad enough that it happened, but even worse when there is a tie to my team. Josef Vasicek was a member of the Carolina Hurricanes the year we won the Cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    When will the Russians stop letting these old planes fly?
    It's not the first time an old plane crashes in Russia just because it should not be flying anymore.
    This makes me so angry!
    This is such sad news, too many, too young, too soon. My prayers are with the families of all these men.

I believe many small countries fly outdated planes for local/in country flights, operating as small airlines-not all operate w/worthy equipment, and who knows what inspection requirements are held. I hope when sending skaters to these small countries USFS (and all countries) looks into all the flights and who operates them. Better to use ground travel (train, bus) I would think. It seems most of the airports are fairly close to venues, no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oubik View Post
    Yes, and Jan Marek (31 y.o.) has just 4 weeks old son .... and he was thinking about going back home.
    For Karel Rachunek (32 y.o.) it would be surely last season in Russia, he desperately wanted to go back home. Have two small children.
    Both were World Ice Hockey Champions 2010.
    Josef Vasicek (would be 31 y.o. on 12th Sept.) won Stanely Cup with Carolina Hurricanes and was World Ice Hockey Champion in 2005.

Very sad news for the whole sport in Czech Republic.
    Ruslan Salei has a 6-month old daughter.

vCash
    So very sad. Heartbreaking. May they rest in peace.

vCash
    What a terrible tragedy. Prayers for the victims' loved ones, and for the people of Russia.

vCash
    What a terrible tragedy, I am any heart with their families!

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    They held a Memorial Service today in the arena in Minsk.
    It's just heartbreaking to watch.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Here's a blog post from someone who's a driver for the Dallas Stars, and how he came face to face with the suffering caused by the crash.

It's a post that is profoundly moving and thought provoking.

http://achicksperspective.wordpress....thor/jeff0121/
    With glowing hearts / Des plus brillants exploits.

vCash
    N.Y. Times

The Yak-42 plane is among the aging Soviet-designed narrow-body aircraft that have been the focus of safety concerns after a series of problems and crashes, including one in June that killed most of the 52 passengers on board.
    Like Moka-Ananas mentioned earliar, Russia needs to stop flying these old, troubled planes now. If this tragedy doesn't lead Russia to stop using them and invest money in new planes then I don't know what will.

is silently judging you
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    This one really hits home:

Two of those killed in the crash (Brad McCrimmon- team coach, and Igor Korolev- assistant coach) once played for the Phoenix Coyotes (1996-1997) which is the NHL team here in Phoenix. Korolev also played for the Phoenix Roadrunners, a non-NHL team in Phoenix.

Here is the article in our local newspaper (The Arizona Republic):

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...ckey-team.html

RIP
    McCrimmon also played on the 1987 Philadelphia Flyers team that made it to the Stanley Cup Finals, losing to that legendary Edmonton Oilers team. Very sad. The whole thing is so tragic.
    The audience I am trying to reach are champion figure skaters. I think they need me the most. -- Morrissey

vCash
    ^ thanks, Jojo (hanky alert )
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
    Here's a blog post from someone who's a driver for the Dallas Stars, and how he came face to face with the suffering caused by the crash.

I'll never forget this.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojo View Post

Thanks for sharing that w/us Jojo. Sigh...Now I'm going to be haunted by the image of those two little girls for the rest of the day.

vCash
    A minute of silence was observed today and yesterday at the ice rink at the beginning of the test skates. At the ice rink in Balashikho there was an electronic banner on the screen for Locomotive Jaroslawl.
    Hopefully really authorities and airlines in Russia are drawing the necessary conclusions out of this catastrophy. It is about time. According to German media, it was the 8th plane crash in Russia this year, and in almost all cases old Soviet-time planes crashed.

vCash
    My prayers are with the families of the victims - to lose someone this way - so suddenly, without warning - is really hard.

Crazy Russian Tundra
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Hopefully really authorities and airlines in Russia are drawing the necessary conclusions out of this catastrophy. It is about time. According to German media, it was the 8th plane crash in Russia this year, and in almost all cases old Soviet-time planes crashed.
    That was a terrible tragedy indeed. My condolences to the hockey players' families.

I am very pessimistic about what you said. This is actually the 4th major crash, where there were fatalities, this year, but you are right - including other crashes - there were more this year.

The first crash happened in my city on January, 1 this year, 4 dead, others escaped, there were about 120 passengers on board. The third crash happened just about 200 km to the east of my city and again fatalities - the plane had to land on the river.

This crash involved the plane which was made in 1993 so that is neither old, nor Soviet time.

The reason is that they have to do something about the air security - reinforce the laws, control every airline and finally just buy the new planes, no matter whether this is Airbus, Boeing, ATR or Superjet. However, I have a strong feeling that it will never happen. Otherwise that should have happened a long time ago - crashes are not an uncommon thing in Russia, alas.

Yesterday they proposed to reduce the number of the small air companies since January 1, 2012 - that is the companies, who have passenger flights and operate 10 planes or less will be closed. Since January 1, 2013 this rule will be applied to the companies which operate 20 planes or less.

I don't think this will actually solve the problem. The people from these companies will just move to the bigger ones and this doesn't resolve old planes issue since the biggest companies (and in my city almost all of the flights are operated by the third biggest, as far as I remember, company in Russia) still use old planes. Not many of them though. In October I am planning a little vacation and one of the choices was to fly on TU134 and spend just 1h30min or to fly ATR72 and spend 2h25min. Well, I chose the second variant and a return by train.
    Visit Russia! (before Russia visits you!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast