Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    although it may happen, i would assume that most big name celebs get dedicated service and a lot of ass kissing. when i was a bartender, we fell all over ourselves for local weathermen. i imagine we would have done much more for bigger stars.

once eddie murphy came into where i worked. 1 waitress did nothing but that table all night and the bill was huge. not only did he not tip but he didnt think he should have to pay. we were all also instructed not to look him directly in the eye by one of his underlings. although he probably wouldnt have known as he was wearing sunglasses inside the dark bar. the police had to be called to get him to pay.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    So I finally watched the video, which is difficult to find since youtube is taking them down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h56Tw...eature=related

I have to say that there is a lot of overreaction, but it's not from Madonna.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    I know that not tipping is considered almost as big a social faux pas as weeing on someone in the US, but maybe some of the celebs didn't tip well because they thought the service was shite. Or are you still supposed to tip if you feel the service isn't up to par?
    If the service was really horrible, I would probably not tip. But, as my little pony said, most stars get treated like royalty. So I doubt their service is bad. Also, most of them say they never tip or tip too little, so I don't think it has anything to do with service, it's about ego.

vCash
    I know that not tipping is considered almost as big a social faux pas as weeing on someone in the US, but maybe some of the celebs didn't tip well because they thought the service was shite. Or are you still supposed to tip if you feel the service isn't up to par?
    I'm no celebrity, but I do still tip even if the service is shite because a lot of times it's not the wait staff's fault. They are just the face that the public sees and we have no idea what's going on in the kitchen.

(By "we" I mean public, not waitstaff....)
    Last edited by Bev Johnston; 09-08-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Thinks my meaning was misconstrued.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Rachel Ray – Tipped $1 on a $10 tab. Probably didn’t want to go under her $40 a day allowance.
    That's 10%, which is low but acceptable on such a cheap tab. That "bad tipper" complaint seems rather petty. And maybe it was crap service. Bad food isn't the server's fault, but cold food is (they are responsible for pickup), slow service without apologizing is (you can't help if it's crowded, but you CAN acknowledge the situation), screwing up order INPUT is (that one can go either way), and good food has nothing to do with them (an excellently-prepared meal is all back of house, who usually don't get anything as far as tips go. They're paid "more", but except in very high end places "more" means $9-12/hour before taxes. Maybe benefits if they're really lucky or work for a franchise, which usually requires it.)

And yes, the waitstaff knows what's going on in the kitchen. They're part of the system and if they screw up THEIR timing (calling to fire an entree too early or too late, for example) the kitchen is hosed. Fortunately in a culinary school restaurant customers can be more forgiving as the 'staff' is mostly learning but it can still be bad--I was on desserts and had ONE item, which the waitstaff (other students) knew about that needed a 20 minute lead time (it had to be made to order)--I needed to know to fire that well in advance, not after they'd cleared the entree, unless the patron UNDERSTOOD there would not be a 20-30 mintue wait. Second week, guess what happened? So the waitstaff in many places can indeed directly affect what's going on in the kitchen. They forget to put your order in or call for it at the wrong time, the BoH, not being mind-readers, are stuck and so are you.

On the non-Americans, while the first time they might have an excuse (tipping is NOT normal in ost other countries) one would think they'd learn fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    On the non-Americans, while the first time they might have an excuse (tipping is NOT normal in ost other countries) one would think they'd learn fast.
    True, but I tip in other countries anyway. Most waiters do expect Americans to tip, though they think it's amusing. Usually just a euro on something small, and a few on something larger, don't give a %, as I would in the US. Many people, who travel to Italy, think the coperto is a tip. It's not, it's a cover charge for sitting at a table, rather than a counter. It can change a 3 euro cappucino to 5 euro (per person). For some reason, it's harder to wash a cup when it's brought to a table, than when it's used at a counter .

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    True, but I tip in other countries anyway. Most waiters do expect Americans to tip, though they think it's amusing. Usually just a euro on something small, and a few on something larger, don't give a %, as I would in the US. Many people, who travel to Italy, think the coperto is a tip. It's not, it's a cover charge for sitting at a table, rather than a counter. It can change a 3 euro cappucino to 5 euro (per person). For some reason, it's harder to wash a cup when it's brought to a table, than when it's used at a counter .
    I don't think that's the logic behind it. Someone who drinks their cappucino at the counter isn't going to be taking up a table and lingering for hours over their cup. It's economics innit.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    So I finally watched the video, which is difficult to find since youtube is taking them down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h56Tw...eature=related
    IMHO, the most offensive thing is that continually god-awful Princess Michael of Kent-esque faux accent.

Luv ya, Madge! "Ray of Light" is still one of the greatest albums ever!

vCash
    $1 on a $10 bill is acceptable? Ouch. If I pick up a couple of overpriced drinks from the bar, then - yes - $1 is fine. But, for a meal I never leave less than $2 (many times $3), especially for a lunch waitress, who doesn't have the luxury of alcohol adding to already larger checks (nor the increased generosity of patrons from said alcohol). Also, my $2-$3 helps make up for the $1 cheapskates.

vCash
    I fun on Madonna, but I don't find that interchange offensive. Humorous, yes, as her "I'm the Queen of England" accent on the word "absolutely" is priceless. Offensive, nah.

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    Madonna is two botox injections away from looking exactly like Jocelyn Wildenstein.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cIx0xpjXZ6...ildenstein.jpg

vCash
    The Lady Gaga/Madonna comparison regarding their fans doesn't sit right. Was Madonna always a bitch to her fans, even at the beginning? Because Lady Gaga isn't exactly an established artist of 25-some years yet. Not that established musicians get a pass to be a pill, but it seems many stars are fairly appreciative at the beginning.

I'd rather wait to rip apart Madonna's W.E. movie if it's true she ignores the whole Nazi ties Wallis Simpson had, rather than complain about a side conversation she didn't realize would be shared with the world.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    I have to say that there is a lot of overreaction, but it's not from Madonna.
    I agree. It's amazing how much could be said about such a non event.

Btw, I'm worse than Madonna. I told my sister to stop buying me clothes because whatever she thought I would like, I hated. No, not merely didn't like, didn't mind, etc. I hated it. It was just so not my style, not mention it didn't fit well so I told her to stop so it all wouldn't go to waste. Lock me up!

Madonna might be a bitch somewhere else, but she didn't do anything wrong here. We all have said stuff to people in private that we wouldn't say to others in public for whatever reason (usually in order not to hurt their feelings). And I'm sure often it was worse than merely stating a fact that we didn't like some flowers that we got. But whatever. I guess one can find some comfort in speaking from a high horse (and yes, I know that from experience )

vCash
    I don't think that's the logic behind it. Someone who drinks their cappucino at the counter isn't going to be taking up a table and lingering for hours over their cup. It's economics innit.
    Yes, it's a rip off. Most of the time people don't stay long enough to practically double the price of the beverage/food.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yes, it's a rip off. Most of the time people don't stay long enough to practically double the price of the beverage/food.
    But the place is going to lose money from someone occupying a table and only ordering a coffee compared to someone at a table who will be ordering a meal.

Think of the table as having a $10 minimum much like bars do when they have $2 draft nights.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    And, in addition to your question, one of the 'poor' tippers on the list was listed as "he always tips 15%". So, in fact, he always tips the basic amount for decent, but not stellar service. How does this make him a bad tipper?

I have to wonder about these lists. Sometimes I think people just make this stuff up in order to get back at a celebrity they don't like so the lists are a mix of actually bad tippers and perfectly decent tippers who have entitled wait staff.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    You mean when she was living as a starving artist in NYC and did a photoshoot for some extra cast before fame? Are those the only times we witnessed her having hairy armpits because I don't remember seeing any other time she had it.
    Yes, yes, yes, that's the one. See, what you can't appreciate just because you're so young and tender and innocent is that in the 80s those hairy pits were quite a shocker because those were the days before, well, before Madonna. You don't know a world before Madonna. All that stuff is no big deal to you because you grew up on a steady diet of hairy armpits and female crotch grabbing. You don't remember a world before MTV. You don't even remember a world before cable television.

But for us old farts?

And you know the whole pretentious Hollywood female beauty standard? It really changed quite drastically because of Madonna. I remember when it used to be that it was enough for a woman just to be thin. She didn't need muscles. Then Madonna started hitting the gym like a fiend and came out all ripped in that Express Yourself video and then all of a sudden all the women in Hollywood were expected to be ripped. AND thin.

She really did screw a lot of things up, ya know.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I don't especially care what Madonna likes or doesn't like, but I'm surprised that anyone could loathe hydrangeas. They're gorgeous! (I know, people have different tastes, but still . . .)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am not that fond of hydrangeas but even less so of carnations. I associate red carnations with the Communist holidays in the old country.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    I fun on Madonna, but I don't find that interchange offensive. Humorous, yes, as her "I'm the Queen of England" accent on the word "absolutely" is priceless. Offensive, nah.
    She smiled and thanked the person not once but twice. And clearly said the rest not realizing it could be heard. I'm sure that she gets crap she doesn't want handed to her quite a lot. And I'm sure that most is discarded or donated to charity if useful and that is true of celebrities, politicians and other public figures. This is truly a non-event.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast