vCash
    Deleted - her reaction linked above.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post

Can't say Madonna doesn't have a sense of humor:
    Madonna releases silent film about hydragenas
    And who made that rule? I certainly believe that she doesn't - this is pure PR.

She is (in terms of her publicity and fame, and how seriously she takes it and herself) the Joan Crawford of today (no reflection on, or reference to, how she treats her children intended at all).

snarking for AZE
    vCash

in all seriousness, this is her best film to date
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Hey, I just came back from Wisconsin. Apparently cow tipping is an important life skill.
    It's a myth! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cow_tipping

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    in all seriousness, this is her best film to date
    Actually, and I don't particularly like Madonna, she was really good in Evita.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    No one's ever given me a string. :
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I'm not being difficult, but I don't understand what you mean here.
    Milanessa, Cruisin: I envy your state of grace.

-- Cruisin, if you'd like to know more, just surf for news on the country: the state of the press, the state of corruption, the mental issues of its leader. Guaranteed: you'll feel royal instantly, or I'll fully refund for your time.

Who said she isn't smart, again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Milanessa, Cruisin: I envy your state of grace.

-- Cruisin, if you'd like to know more, just surf for news on the country: the state of the press, the state of corruption, the mental issues of its leader. Guaranteed: you'll feel royal instantly, or I'll fully refund for your time.
    Sate of grace? Sorry, I'm still confused - What does stepping on Italian sole mean? What country am I supposed to surf for news about? England, the US, Italy? And what would Italy have to do with Madonna?

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    And what would Italy have to do with Madonna?
    Well, she did teach us in "Papa Don't Preach" that Italians do it better.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Well, she did teach us in "Papa Don't Preach" that Italians do it better.
    Ah, but Madonna has been reborn as a Brit!

Do you have any idea what loulou means? I honestly have no idea.

Quadless
    vCash
    I think loulou meant "soil" not "sole."
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I think loulou meant "soil" not "sole."
    Even still, what does stepping on Italian soil have to do with Madonna feeling "royal". She is American of Italian ancestry. Her "royalness" is more about her phony Brittish accent than being Italian.

vCash
    I can't believe this thread has 11 pages lol. Wow, just wow.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Just as a matter of interest, how do Americans feel about British people who move to the US and pick up an American accent? Do you find it fake and phony too?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, how do Americans feel about British people who move to the US and pick up an American accent? Do you find it fake and phony too?
    I don't know any British people who have lost their accent. I know some who's accent has mellowed a bit. I know people who have moved to different parts of the US and picked up some colloquialisms and slight accent changes. But, usually that is after living in that "new" place for a long time. Madonna has not exclusively lived in England, and it wasn't for very long. She also seemed to pick up the British accent the moment she stepped foot on British soil. Accent changes that evolve don't seem phony, those that happen overnight do. And since Madonna seems to like reinventing herself and is rather pretentious in so many other ways....

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash

I don't know. With the original incident I defended her because I thought people were overreacting. Now I think she is.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    I don't know any British people who have lost their accent. I know some who's accent has mellowed a bit. I know people who have moved to different parts of the US and picked up some colloquialisms and slight accent changes. But, usually that is after living in that "new" place for a long time. Madonna has not exclusively lived in England, and it wasn't for very long. She also seemed to pick up the British accent the moment she stepped foot on British soil. Accent changes that evolve don't seem phony, those that happen overnight do. And since Madonna seems to like reinventing herself and is rather pretentious in so many other ways....
    Not unlike her Royal Hollywood Highness Gwynnie...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    a gradual change no

an accent picked up in customs before they leave the airport, yes
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I think loulou meant "soil" not "sole".
    That's correct, I'm sorry. I should have looked it up before posting.

Do you have any idea what loulou means? I honestly have no idea.
    I didn't mean to be criptic. Again: sorry.

Italy has lost press freedom over the past ten years.
    Its press freedom is only partly free now (meaning information aren't illegal, but they are indeed very difficult to get access to - most people don't).
    Freedom House 2010 Report

Italy is also ranked #67 from least to most corrupted countries in the world. That's behind any western country, plus some from the former soviet block and also from Africa.
    Transparency International 2010 Report

Italians also keep electing the same prime minister despite the fact that he's a lurid pig who belongs to jail, and doesn't know squat about the job. It would be too long to enumerate all his faults here. But it would be difficult to overlook them for any person coming from a western country, which Italy used to feel it was.

Italian tax evasion is the highest one in the whole Europe. It's considered a right by most, and shaming it is highly frowned upon, on both social and professional environments.

Italians are also amongst the least educated compared to those from western and asian countries.

And polls show they don't perceive the issues, they didn't even notice their press is no longer free/didn't address it as a major deal.

So yes, Madonna, or any Canadian, or Finnish, or Swiss, or German, or - insert here - could rightfully feel royal when stepping on italin soil these days.

If I had to guess, I'd say Madonna is performing; and that's her job after all.

But. I have to say I pick up accents incredibly fast. A week is all I need to become a new native. It's not really something I like, but it's hard to fight.
    Last edited by loulou; 09-13-2011 at 10:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Not unlike her Royal Hollywood Highness Gwynnie...
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by loulou View Post
    Italy has lost press freedom over the past ten years....
    ...So yes, Madonna, or any Canadian, or Finnish, or Swiss, or German, or - insert here - could rightfully feel royal when stepping on italin soil these days.
    I'm still puzzled by the comment. We were discussing Madonna's pretentious use of a British accent. What does feeling righteously superior in Italy mean?

Just curious, where are you from?

I am of Italian descent, not all Italians are corrupt or dishonest. I have been to Italy several times. The people there are warm and wonderful. I agree that Berlusconi is a creep, but that's not a reflection of the population in general, and certainly doesn't elevate Madonna to royalty.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    If she had a real British accent that had developed over time, I wouldn't mind. But it's a bad accent like you'd hear in a High School play. So that's why I think it's fake.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast