Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Bumping up this thread to add a video of their "Evening with Champions" performance from this past weekend:
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Protopopovs were the first act after the intermission and got a nice standing ovation after they were done. Oleg hasn't been the same on ice since his stroke, but it was SO nice to have them on the ice. They've been a fixture at the show for decades. http://youtu.be/Z9ksPXmuLDU
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I would love it if someone who attending Evening with Champions had even a photo of them bowing. Bet they got a well deserved standing ovation for just being there, out on the ice. Legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Say,I saw some of their younger perfominces on U=Tube. But what I was able to find was all in another langage. Does anyone knnow of any of their younger performinces that are in english? Thanks.
    Here's a black and white video of the Protopopovs' 1968 Worlds long program (ABC Sports with Jim McKay and Dick Button): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy6Bp3NB-js

I hope you can now watch YouTube videos on your new computer, FSWer?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's a black and white video of the Protopopovs' 1968 Worlds long program (ABC Sports with Jim McKay and Dick Button): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy6Bp3NB-js
    They are so enjoyable to watch, whatever era they are skating in. I was still a kid then but have vague memories of seeing this on our old B/W television. Ludmila's posture and back is so perfect that she could probably balance a tea set on her head, even in the lifts, and never spill a drop. Love their edges, too.

vCash
    They used to participate in the Harvard Evening With Champions (AKA the Jimmy Fund) shows for years. Back in 1998, the required spiral in the pairs SP was an outside edge, and few of the current ladies had a very good position in their BODS, and your eventual OGM Kazakova could barely get down into this position at all. (I think Jenny Meno, Berezhnaya, and Abitbol had some of the better ones and Shen/Zhao dodged the problem by doing the riskier FODS.)

After watching that sorry display, I happened to watch the Protopopovs program from that year and even in her 60s, she easily got into a much lower and much prettier position than any (and I do mean *any*) of the then active pairs. Folks used to say she had ankles of steel.

She was actually his second partner. He had already medalled at USSR nationals with another partner before switching.
    Last edited by Susan M; 10-08-2013 at 08:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    They used to participate in the Harvard Evening With Champions (AKA the Jimmy Fund) shows for years. Back in 1998, the required spiral in the pairs SP was an outside edge, and few of the current ladies had a very good position in their BODS, and your eventual OGM Kazakova could barely get down into this position at all. (I think Jenny Meno, Berezhnaya, and Abitbol had some of the better ones and Shen/Zhao dodged the problem by doing the riskier FODS.)

After watching that sorry display, I happened to watch the Protopopovs program from that year and even in her 60s, she easily got into a much lower and much prettier position than any (and I do mean *any*) of the then active pairs. Folks used to say she had ankles of steel.

She was actually his second partner. He had already medalled at USSR nationals with another partner before switching.
    In their Ave Maria pro routine they did 3 DS's in a row, and each was done with perfection.

G&G had a very good BODS also.

vCash
    Please don't forget that a photo taken mid-20th century may not be available as a digital object. Images of high profile events/people are more likely to have been reformatted digitally. However, most are not. The quantity of images online is a fraction of what is extant in repositories and private collections. (For example, Corbis, possiblly the largest photography collection in the world, has digitized about 10%.) Check out some sports repositories online catalogs and I am sure you will find something...

vCash
    Protopopovs not letting age slow them down: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/10/62784856
    Excerpt from the beginning of the article:
    Fifty years ago next February, Ludmila Belousova and Oleg Protopopov won the first of their two Olympic gold medals. Theirs was the first Olympic gold medal in pairs won by the Soviet Union, starting a 42-year streak of Olympic gold by Soviet and Russian couples.

The Protopopovs teamed up as a pair in 1956 and married in 1957. They defected to Switzerland, where they still live, in 1979.

On Oct. 5 and 6, they performed at "An Evening with Champions" for the 22nd year. At 77 and 81, they no longer perform lifts or their signature death spirals, but they still have the grace and smoothness that have inspired generations of skaters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12