Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Oleg and Ludmilla Protopopov

Does anyone know if there are any pics of them from way back when they first got Paired up and began skating together?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any pics of them from way back when they first got Paired up and began skating together?
    Unlikely. Photography was very expensive in the 50s, especially in post-WWII Russia. The earliest you might find would be photos from 1958 Worlds or 1960 Olys.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Unlikely. Photography was very expensive in the 50s, especially in post-WWII Russia. The earliest you might find would be photos from 1958 Worlds or 1960 Olys.
    Is that as far back as pics go? BTW. how was Photograthy expensive?

vCash
    Is that as far back as pics go? BTW. how was Photograthy expensive?
    Pics of the Propopovs or pics in general? Photography goes back much farther than the 1950's:
    http://photo.net/history/timeline

I think the process of developing photos with the use of plates/negatives, etc. was what was so expensive and could only be done by professionals considering the chemicals/equipment they used. It is possible such items were hard to come by therefore quite expensive in Communist Eastern Europe in the 1950's.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Pics of the Propopovs or pics in general? Photography goes back much farther than the 1950's:
    http://photo.net/history/timeline

I think the process of developing photos with the use of plates/negatives, etc. was what was so expensive and could only be done by professionals considering the chemicals/equipment they used. It is possible such items were hard to come by therefore quite expensive in Communist Eastern Europe in the 1950's.
    yes. Pics of them as far back as they go in genual

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    The earliest I have found after doing a little searching is from 1959. (It should be on the second page here.) http://visualrian.ru/en/site/search/...0&q=protopopov

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The earliest I have found after doing a little searching is from 1959. (It should be on the second page here.) http://visualrian.ru/en/site/search/...0&q=protopopov
    I couldn't access the videos. Are there any actual pics of them that far back? BTW. did any color pics survive? Or would there not have been any color?

Watch me move
    vCash
    I couldn't access the videos. Are there any actual pics of them that far back? BTW. did any color pics survive? Or would there not have been any color?
    They aren't videos, they're photographs. The older ones are on the second page (click on the "2" at the top of the photographs on the first page).

Color photography was really rare in the late 1950s and early 1960s because it was expensive and it was difficult to reproduce the colors correctly in print. It was very rare for color photos to be taken for a newspaper or magazine.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    Thank you for the photo links. I always wished that I could have seen them compete and was happy when they left the Soviet Union and were able to skate in the "west".

vCash
    I clicked on the link and found the pics. But when I click on a pic. for a larger version (if your surposed to),it just gives me a blank page.

vCash
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/library...ss/3390546218/

I found this. I think this is when they stared.

Yes yes, it's a typical Ozzisk8tr post...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post

I just love such vintage photos! There's even older ones of course from the 1800's.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I just love such vintage photos! There's even older ones of course from the 1800's.
    Are there any of Fumie from back then, she must have been what, 13, 14?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash

Watch me move
    vCash
    I clicked on the link and found the pics. But when I click on a pic. for a larger version (if your surposed to),it just gives me a blank page.
    It worked for me, but it was quite slow to download the larger picture (which isn't that much larger than the thumbnail pictures on the main page).
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Thanks for the link to the Protopopovs pictures. I remember them from the late 1960's and the Winter Olympics in 1968. They had such beautiful flow, edges and unison. They were a delight to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post

Is that Lamilla and Orgo?

vCash
    Is that Lamilla and Orgo?
    No, that is an old photograph from about 1915 showing a Mr. and Mrs. Hobson on ice skates. He was a Congressman from Alabama for a few years.
    I think it just an example of an "old" photograph.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I'm posting the links to these 2 post-event articles here instead of in the earlier thread I started: Protopopovs to be honored in Sept. 3rd Lake Placid show by Selezneva/Makarov, Button

Adirondack Daily Enterprise article (Sept. 6, 2011) - includes a photo of them on the ice: A fitting tribute: Lake Placid honors two-time gold medalists Oleg and Ludmila Protopopov
    As much respect as Button has for the Protopopovs, they have an equal amount of respect and admiration for him.

"Mr. Button was my idol when I was a boy," Oleg Protopopov said. "My mother brought me an American magazine with Mr. Button on the cover and I couldn't believe how well he extended and pointed his toes in the split jump position."

Oleg Protopopov added, "My mother said, 'you must be a better skater than him someday,' and it never happened."

Button replied that it did, and that they were an inspiration.

"After seeing the Protopopovs skate, I realized what beautiful form and quality truly meant," Button said.
    Adirondack Almanack article (Sept. 6, 2011): Button, Protopov Reunite at Tribute
    The Protopopovs defected from the Soviet Union in 1979, becoming citizens of Switzerland. They divide their time between Switzerland, their winter home, and Lake Placid, where they skate from June until October in the Olympic Center.

Their eventual landing in Lake Placid was very sudden. In 1997, the Protopopovs found themselves in the Olympic town after being told of the excellent facilities.

“Our friends were telling us, ‘you must go to Lake Placid, they have beautiful ice arenas’”, said Ludmila Protopopov. “We also wanted to learn from Gus Lussi, who was coaching there. Unfortunately, he had passed away, but when we came to Lake Placid we stayed forever”.
    Even after Oleg’s stroke in 2009, they continued skating. Only a few weeks after his stroke, the Protopopovs were seen at the rink, Ludmila Protopopov patiently helping Oleg to re-learn how to skate. Skating served as his rehabilitation, and the Protopopovs were well practiced enough to perform a short exhibition performance in the tribute show on September 3rd.

Why do they continue skating? Certainly the Protopopovs are legends, and can retire if they chose. When asked why they continue to skate, Ludmila stated it succinctly:

“I love the music, the flow. Skating is our life”.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-14-2011 at 02:17 PM.

vCash

Angry Ludmila and Oleg Ptotopopov

Say,I saw some of their younger perfominces on U=Tube. But what I was able to find was all in another langage. Does anyone knnow of any of their younger performinces that are in english? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast