View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I just watched a German movie from 2005 called Antibodies. It was quite amazing, to be honest. I highly recommend it. You can watch it on Netflix streaming at the moment. As I was watching I was thinking "this is quite predictable, but it sure is keeping my interest" and then it wasn't really that predictable after all. I don't want to give too much away but if you like a good murder mystery thriller then this is for you.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Rex, you and I are "on the same wavelength".

I came here to post about "Penny Serenade"; such an underrated, moving film.
    Grant and Dunne are wonderful; and Beulah Bondi, as well.
    Keep tissues handy!
    He got the first of his two Oscar noms for this....the second was for None But the Lonely Heart, which I have not seen. He pretty much played himself most of the time, but in films like Serenade, Notorious and a couple of others, he was quite capable of injecting nuance and pathos into his performances.

vCash
    For the thriller / action movies fans, here are two movies that are going to be released within 6-8 months that are absolutly great.

The first one is pure action, violent and spectacular. It's the indonesian film The Raid.
    It's about a special intervention unit who attacks a building inhabited by a big drug gang.
    It's meant to have a cult following because it's really impressive and unique in that it highlights the indonesian martial art of silat.

The second one is more of a thriller/action movie. It's the french film Nuit Blanche (Sleepless Night). It's an intense, sweaty, smart thriller about a corrupt cop who has stollen a few kilos of cocain from a drug smuggler. The bad guy kidnaps his son and asks him to bring the drug back to his (huge) night club. The movie is centered around the night club with many actors converging there (the drug dealer, other drug dealers, the crooked cop, the police internal affairs section and some others) and the situation going from bad to worse. (here is a review of the movie by some guys who've seen it in Toronto last week).

Both movies (which have not been released yet, outside of film festivals) are being sold worldwide and already talked about for Hollywood remakes. It's almost a done deal for The Raid. Which might not be good news for american viewers as Sony is holding the american rights AND is negociating the remake rights. In the past, it has sometimes meant the distribution of the original film would be delayed until the remake was filmed and released on the american territory. That can be pretty long. And I wouldn't bet on the merits of the remake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    He got the first of his two Oscar noms for this....the second was for None But the Lonely Heart, which I have not seen. He pretty much played himself most of the time, but in films like Serenade, Notorious and a couple of others, he was quite capable of injecting nuance and pathos into his performances.
    I don't know if he "played himself most of the time", though. Grant's on-screen persona was debonair and suave and Grant said that in real life he was not suave and his idea of a good time was at the pub with bangers and mash I love him for that. I also love this quote from him:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.

-Bridget

vCash
    You all are making me want to watch Arsenic & Old Lace, a movie I've never seen.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    You all are making me want to watch Arsenic & Old Lace, a movie I've never seen.
    It's my favorite dark comedy! Grant is a riot in it and I always love Priscilla Lane. My other fave dark comedy is Murder He Says with Fred MacMurray.

-Bridget

vCash
    Saw Moneyball last night. More of a comedy than a drama, but was very good. Pitt as more of a character actor than as leading man.

vCash
    I'm in the minority, I guess, but I actually prefer the stage version to the movie. Sure, it's a summer stock chestnut, but if done right, it is much funnier than the movie version.

vCash
    Good choice. That's one of my two all-time favorites in old films. The other one is James Stewart in Harvey. I love that invisibible 6 foot + rabbit.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    The Saint of Fort Washington (1993) Danny Glover and Matt Dillon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xze8m8Tiq4

Matt Dillon said that 11 people saw this film. Well, now 12 did. I loved it..and I cried.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    The Saint of Fort Washington (1993) Danny Glover and Matt Dillon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xze8m8Tiq4

Matt Dillon said that 11 people saw this film. Well, now 12 did. I loved it..and I cried.
    This movie was so sad.

vCash
    I don't know if this is out of place here, but I just got done watching the six episodes of Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle). I must have seen this in the past, but it was almost like watching it for the first time. I think this is the most perfect adaptation of Jane Austen's novel. I liked the minor changes made, to make it more complete (like Darcy going through his thoughts, fencing, swimming, etc.). The costumes, scenary (particularly Derbyshire) was beautiful. Both main characters were perfect in their roles (Mr.Darcy & Elizabeth). I hated the Hollywood version with Keira Knightly, and sort of modernization of the book, although that too had stunning visuals. Didn't care much for Bridget Jones Diary either, particularly the second one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't know if this is out of place here, but I just got done watching the six episodes of Pride & Prejudice (Colin Firth & Jennifer Ehle). I must have seen this in the past, but it was almost like watching it for the first time. I think this is the most perfect adaptation of Jane Austen's novel. I liked the minor changes made, to make it more complete (like Darcy going through his thoughts, fencing, swimming, etc.). The costumes, scenary (particularly Derbyshire) was beautiful. Both main characters were perfect in their roles (Mr.Darcy & Elizabeth). I hated the Hollywood version with Keira Knightly, and sort of modernization of the book, although that too had stunning visuals. Didn't care much for Bridget Jones Diary either, particularly the second one.
    ITA in every single way. It's one of my TOP favorite movies of all time. It's PERFECTION.

-Bridget

vCash
    Humoresque is On Demand. . I shouldn't care, as I have the DVD, but my DVD player is wonky lately. But I never get tired of the music and watching Joan Crawford take that nighttime swim....

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it is criminal that the soundtrack is not available although nadja salerno sonnenberg covered the soundtrack or much of it on a cd once
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Really? Maybe it's on Pirate Bay...

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    the original or the cover version? the cover version is on itunes
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Well, I watched Arsenic & Old Lace tonight. It was cute. Probably won't watch it again, but I did enjoy it.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    My Mom told me today about the time she met Bing Crosby and Myrna Loy. I was and asked, "which other famous people have you met that you never told me about??!!"

Bing Crosby is from Spokane, WA, and just north of there is Cranbrook, BC where Mom graduated from high school. Before their graduation, people were talking about how Bing Crosby was in the local watering hole and someone said, "we should invite him to our graduation"! So Mom actually went down to the pub and invited him. He said, "I just got back from a day of fishing, I don't think I'd be presentable at your event!" So he kindly declined.

She met Myrna Loy at the border crossing and said she looked "homely". I said, "I just watched 'The Thin Man' recently and don't remember anyone looking homely in that movie!" So she clarified by saying she looked like any regular woman you might meet. Guess she was comparing her to some of the "pin-up" types of that time...

Plus she told me a bit more about the time she met Anthony Quinn at a cafe in California. She said that he looked familiar to her, but couldn't place him. He asked where she was from, and she said "British Columbia". He said, "do you know Prince Rupert?" Mom said yes, and Quinn said he was from an Indian tribe from there (he's from Chihuahua, Mexico). Anyway, he kept pulling her leg the whole time and when he left, someone who worked there said, "you didn't know that was Anthony Quinn???"

Well, I watched Arsenic & Old Lace tonight. It was cute. Probably won't watch it again, but I did enjoy it.
    So I'm not the only person who didn't think it was the best movie ever?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing Peter. Yesterday I saw Moneyball and word to the wise, if you are not a baseball fan, you should probaly not go and see this movie. And I am not a fan. It is a nice movie however but not sure why they thought that there was enough material for a movie there.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast