View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Arsenic and Old Lace One of my favourite movies ever! Hilarious, goofy, just fantastic all around. I love it for a bit of light Halloween fare.
    I love everything about this movie including the fact that I got my name, Peaches LaTour, from this film as "she" is mentioned in one of the scenes.

Grant hated his acting in this film but judging by it's popularity, everyone else thought he did it just right...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    I don't mind Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs but I found the dialogue to be annoying. Kill Bill 1 was fantastic but Kill Bill 2 suffered from the same problems, the dialogue. I haven't seen his later films, not because I don't want to just haven't gotten round to it.
    I actually wrote my undergraduate honors thesis on Pulp Fiction. I've often wondered if the reason I'm such a Tarantino fan is because Reservoir Dogs came out when I was 13 and I thought I was really getting away with something by watching his films. I was 15 when I saw Pulp Fiction and I've been enamored with the film ever since. I get some of the criticisms of the writing, but I'm definitely in the opposite camp because I just adore his films.

I think my actual favorite of his films has become Death Proof. I find myself watching it a lot and I've taught it in classes quite a few times. The only film of his I haven't taught, actually, is Inglorious Basterds, which I plan to teach next semester. In fact, this is the first semester other than my days of teaching freshman comp that I haven't taught a Tarantino film. By and large, students love his work, but I often wonder if they love it because they think they are supposed to love it?
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    A local station played "Mr. Lucky" last night... I'd forgotten what a terrific plot it has! I ALWAYS lurve me some Cary Grant (he's my all-time favorite).

-Bridget
    Suspicion, one of my favorites, was on yesterday. I too love Cary Grant and think that he, like Mary Poppins, is practically perfect in every way. I think he hit his peak of handsomeness when he was a bit older, though. I like a little gray in his hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Suspicion, one of my favorites, was on yesterday. I too love Cary Grant and think that he, like Mary Poppins, is practically perfect in every way. I think he hit his peak of handsomeness when he was a bit older, though. I like a little gray in his hair.
    Cary Grant

Seriously though, my Nana used to babysit me and we would always catch whatever old movie was on and I distinctly remember Grant being my first movie star crush. Tall, dark, handsome, stylish, romantic, funny......sigh, Grant was just a dreamboat!
    Last edited by Fergus; 09-20-2011 at 05:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    I agree, but I have to say that he was awfully hot in She Done Him Wrong (which is my favorite Mae West movie) when he was still pretty young.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Sounds like everyone here liked Arsenic and Old Lace better than me... Which made me think I should see more Cary Grant movies as I don't think I've seen many. Which made me find this list from imdb.com ranking his movies by popularity (I'm including only the top 30):

1.(8.60) - North by Northwest (1959)
    2.(8.20) - Notorious (1946)
    3.(8.10) - His Girl Friday (1940)
    4.(8.10) - Bringing Up Baby (1938)
    5.(8.10) - The Philadelphia Story (1940)
    6.(8.10) - Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
    7.(8.00) - Charade (1963)
    8.(7.99) - The Awful Truth (1937)
    9.(7.79) - Holiday (1938)
    10.(7.69) - Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
    11.(7.68) - The Talk of the Town (1942)
    12.(7.59) - Gunga Din (1939)
    13.(7.50) - To Catch a Thief (1955)
    14.(7.50) - Suspicion (1941)
    15.(7.49) - The Bishop's Wife (1947)
    16.(7.39) - Topper (1937)
    17.(7.30) - An Affair to Remember (1957)
    18.(7.29) - People Will Talk (1951)
    19.(7.29) - My Favorite Wife (1940)
    20.(7.29) - Father Goose (1964)
    21.(7.28) - Blonde Venus (1932)
    22.(7.20) - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)
    23.(7.20) - Operation Petticoat (1959)
    24.(7.18) - Mr. Lucky (1943)
    25.(7.10) - Monkey Business (1952)
    26.(7.09) - Penny Serenade (1941)
    27.(7.09) - Destination Tokyo (1943)
    28.(7.09) - The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947)
    29.(7.00) - I Was a Male War Bride (1949)
    30.(6.99) - I'm No Angel (1933)
    I've seen North By Northwest, An Affair To Remember and I'm No Angel, but I remember them more for the movie overall, rather than Cary Grant specifically. And I saw Gunga Din a few years back and did not care for it. Still, I have a lot of catching up to do!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Watch Charade! Audrey Hepburn + Cary Grant = Serious Eye Candy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've seen North By Northwest, An Affair To Remember and I'm No Angel, but I remember them more for the movie overall, rather than Cary Grant specifically. And I saw Gunga Din a few years back and did not care for it. Still, I have a lot of catching up to do!!
    Bringing up Baby and The Philadelphia Story are both brilliant! He's fantastic in both.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    We took the niece and nephew to see Lion King. I wish they had some non 3D showings because the 2 yr old wouldn't wear her glasses. Could have saved a lot of money with a regular showing.

I still need to go see Straw Dogs and now I want to see Drive.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sounds like everyone here liked Arsenic and Old Lace better than me... Which made me think I should see more Cary Grant movies as I don't think I've seen many. Which made me find this list from imdb.com ranking his movies by popularity (I'm including only the top 30):

I've seen most of those and loved every one, lol! The only Grant movie I haven't really liked was "Only Angels Have Wings", but I still enjoy the parts with him in it

-Bridget

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Bringing up Baby and The Philadelphia Story are both brilliant! He's fantastic in both.
    I adore those movies, and His Girl Friday.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    One of my favorites (top 10) didn't even make the list--I liked "Room For One More" with Betsy Drake and this funny little boy with raspy voice (don't know his name.)

vCash
    "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" is absolutely and actually holds up very well for a 60+ year old film!

Cary and Myrna Loy were a great pair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" is absolutely and actually holds up very well for a 60+ year old film!

Cary and Myrna Loy were a great pair.
    I love them, too, but love her even better with William Powell. Love Cary Grant and Irene Dunne together.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Add me to the Cary Grant fan club. Arsenic & Old Lace is still one of my favourite comedies of all time, but I also love The Philadelphia Story, North by Northwest, Notorious, and To Cath a Thief.

I a completely different vein, I watched A Summer in Genoa over the weekend. Pretty much the only reason I picked it up was for Colin Firth (really, do you need any other reason?), but I enjoyed it for so man other reasons too. It never ceases to amaze me how many different ways there are to portray grief and how it affects one's behaviour.

vCash
    TCM showing James Dean's movies tomorrow evening.

vCash
    I liked Cary in Penny Serenade - it was so unlike his screen persona, and it was a great tearjerker of a movie. He and Irene Dunne played off each other so well.

vCash
    Rex, you and I are "on the same wavelength".

I came here to post about "Penny Serenade"; such an underrated, moving film.
    Grant and Dunne are wonderful; and Beulah Bondi, as well.
    Keep tissues handy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Rex, you and I are "on the same wavelength".

I came here to post about "Penny Serenade"; such an underrated, moving film.
    Grant and Dunne are wonderful; and Beulah Bondi, as well.
    Keep tissues handy!
    I cry like a baby every time.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    oh my gosh, i forgot that movie existed! it is a tear jerker
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast