View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    One Holocaust movie I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not is La Rafle (The Round Up). It's a French film about how during World War II, the French government made a deal with the Germans to round up approximately 15,000 Jews as some sort of deal (for the Germans to not attack France?). Anyway, it's a really great movie and if The Boy In The Striped Pajamas affected you, this one most certainly will. It stars Jean Reno and Melanie Laurent (who was in Inglorious Basterds and Le Concert).

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    That movie was deep...I discover something different about it each time I watch it. There is a perversity about this movie; like the scene where Thomas Jane spits into Angelina's mouth, to prove that he owns her. it truly is twisted.
    So I'm not the only person on the planet who liked this movie? (I missed the spitting moment, though! )
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I wish we did not pay to see "Sophie's Choice"---not because it was a bad movie but because I was in the mood for something frothy that night. Major mistake and that moment when the ultimate choice came is still one of the most horrific film scenes imo.

On a lighter note I just watched "Strange Days" with Ralph Fiennes and Angela Bassett for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and don't remember hearing much about it when it was released.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post

On a lighter note I just watched "Strange Days" with Ralph Fiennes and Angela Bassett for the first time. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and don't remember hearing much about it when it was released.
    I actually saw that in the cinema when it was originall released.

Finally got around to seeing "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" last week and enjoyed it in a not too intellectually demanding sort of way. I was at how many references to the original film they stuck in there though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    How about "Defiance" and "Escape from Sobibor" for WW2/Holocaust movies? Defiance is more about resistance to the Nazis that it is about the actual Holocaust but great movie to watch if you are interested in the subject. Escape from Sobibor is the only movie about the revolt at Sobibor that I know off and all characters were real people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    One Holocaust movie I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not is La Rafle (The Round Up). It's a French film about how during World War II, the French government made a deal with the Germans to round up approximately 15,000 Jews as some sort of deal (for the Germans to not attack France?). Anyway, it's a really great movie and if The Boy In The Striped Pajamas affected you, this one most certainly will. It stars Jean Reno and Melanie Laurent (who was in Inglorious Basterds and Le Concert).
    I'd like to see that one.
    There is another one I liked - a made-for-cable movie called Forbidden with Jacqueline Bisset and Jurgen Prochnow. It's about a German countess who hides her Jewish boyfriend in her apartment in Berlin during the war. It also has great music by Tangerine Dream. It's not available on DVD though; something to do with copyright laws.

So I'm not the only person on the planet who liked this movie? (I missed the spitting moment, though! )
    That scene skeeved me out unreal, as well as the

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    There is another one I liked - a made-for-cable movie called Forbidden with Jacqueline Bisset and Jurgen Prochnow. It's about a German countess who hides her Jewish boyfriend in her apartment in Berlin during the war. It also has great music by Tangerine Dream. It's not available on DVD though; something to do with copyright laws.
    I agree.
    I think I still have that on VHS. I taped it.

Based on this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Jews-Berl...5925478&sr=8-1

vCash
    [QUOTE=Buzz;3289249]How about "Defiance" and "Escape from Sobibor" for WW2/Holocaust movies? Defiance is more about resistance to the Nazis that it is about the actual Holocaust but great movie to watch if you are interested in the subject. Escape from Sobibor is the only movie about the revolt at Sobibor that I know off and all characters were real people.[/QUOTE

I saw both, was moved by both and amazed by the grit and determination that people need and use to survive. And I like Liev Schreiber--he did not disappoint in "Defiance."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I agree.
    I think I still have that on VHS. I taped it.

Based on this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Jews-Berl...5925478&sr=8-1
    Yes, I read that book. Some really powerful stories in it too.
    And I love Jacqueline Bisset.

vCash
    Well we watched "Thor" tonight and though the "comic" movies are never my favorites this was nicely done. And Chris Hemsworth---good God---how long before he is on the cover of "People" as the sexiest man alive? We enjoyed the entire cast of this film and Tom Hiddleston certainly seems to be someone to watch for in the future. I wonder how much say Kenneth Branagh had regarding casting decisions.
    Last edited by Cachoo; 09-14-2011 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I had a student write a very strong paper about Original Sin. I had never seen the film, so I went to watch it. The way the paper was written, you'd think this was the second coming of Citizen Kane. I thought the movie was okay, but the paper was actually better than the movie
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    ^^^
    Did you tell them?

vCash
    I saw Contagion last weekend. Good movie. I wouldn't call it great, but it was entertaining and had a good cast. It's been done before, though, and better.(Outbreak was better IMO.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I saw Contagion last weekend. Good movie. I wouldn't call it great, but it was entertaining and had a good cast. It's been done before, though, and better.(Outbreak was better IMO.)
    Yeah, I thought that Outbreak was much better. Soderbergh tried to make another Traffic, with converging and interweaving multiple storylines. For some reason, it didn't work for me.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    What about War and Remembrance? My father has the DVD box set that has the entire mini-series, and I've finally got around to watching it for myself (he also wants me to read the book, plus Winds of War). I just finished the first episode.

Dan Curtis was actually able to get permission to film inside Auschwitz, the only American film crew to be allowed to do so. Even Spielberg couldn't accomplish that for Schindler's List. And a lot of the extras for the camp scenes were actually Holocaust survivors who had been in the camps as children or young adults. It was said in the DVD bonus documentaries that the attention to detail on those scenes was so accurate (thanks to a Yugoslavian Associate Producer who himself was in Auschwitz as a teenager) that a lot of them felt like they were really back there and going through their experiences a second time.

He also got ABC to agree to show the camp scenes in their entirety, without censoring or editing (again, before Schindler's List was shown unedited on network TVin the late 1990's). He felt to do otherwise would be to trivialize what happened. I remember my father, who is a scholar of WWII because he lived through it, and his father fought in the Pacific (and the paternal side of his family is Jewish), saying to me to be prepared for what I was going to see, because it leaves nothing to the imagination.

The combined miniseries (not "mini" at all actually, probably longer than many actual failed planned series) is ASTONISHINGLY faithful to Wouk's books, which are each long and complex. I have never seen anything else even come close.

I saw the network broadcasts, and the one thing that was even mildly softened during those telecasts in the early 1990's (on over-the-air network TV) was when Natalie was ready to service a German prison guard to save the life of her young son, who also witnessed her actions. Even then it was only bits of filthy, racist, sexist commentary by the guards that were obscured (not bleeped really), but if even if you hadn't read the book, her crawling across the floor on her knees towards the soldier really conveys the intent of the scene and how utterly desperate she was to do anything to protect her child. I was floored that they let that in, but it really was essential dramatically to show that bit of horror to illustrate the dehumanization of the camps (and the amorality of those who ran them).
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Back to documentaries: Just watched the Scorsese docu "Public Speaking" about Fran Lebowitz. I want to know more about this woman, her books and her quotes because the she was so smart, so glib and so much my idea of someone who is quintessentially New York City.

vCash
    TCM will be showing Thank Your Lucky Stars tonight at 10pm CST. My favorite part is Errol Flynn singing (!) and dancing (!) in a Cockney accent! Also Bette Davis sings, too. Oh, and Hattie McDaniel! Great movie for the numbers (not the plot so much, lol).

-Bridget

vCash
    I had to electronically cut someone today on another forum. They were talking trash about my girl Barbara Stanwyck.... I'll hurt a mofo for talking about her...

So, I understand that TPTB in H'wood wanna remake Point Break! You simply cannot make that movie better than it was....I'm crazy about that movie. And it doesn't need to be remade, no sir! Poor Patrick Swayze!

vCash
    Merchant-Ivory marathon on TCM beginning at 7:00 p.m. central tonight. They'll be showing four movies: Remains of the Day, Howards End, Room With a View, and Maurice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Merchant-Ivory marathon on TCM beginning at 7:00 p.m. central tonight. They'll be showing four movies: Remains of the Day, Howards End, Room With a View, and Maurice.

Thanks for the reminder. I noticed this earlier in the week and then forgot about it. Maurice is the only one I haven't seen and it has been on my list for a long time.

I'll see if I can make it through the whole list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post

I love those movies. I think I'm going to watch Howard's End later tonight.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast