View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Immortals was #1 over the weekend followed by Jack & Jill and Puss in Boots.
    Saw Puss in Boots (3D) today; I've got to say I loved it.

Also saw Margin Call over the weekend; that one didn't work for me, although Kevin Spacey gives his best performance in years. I found the pacing to be too measured, too slow, and therefore the excitement just wasn't there. It should have been much more gripping than it was.

vCash
    Well this is lame but I have not been to a movie lately so the two movie trailers I enjoyed were On Demand for "Attack the Block" and "Tucker and Dale vs Evil." I like idea of the first film when aliens attack and a young bunch of thugs in London are not having it. And then the idea of Tucker and Dale--two hicks being mistaken for killers by your usual assortment of teenagers that usually die in horror flicks--actually made me laugh out loud. I hope the best parts weren't in the trailers.

vCash
    The Hunger Games Trailer is out. Looks good.

The Hunger Games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Well this is lame but I have not been to a movie lately so the two movie trailers I enjoyed were On Demand for "Attack the Block" and "Tucker and Dale vs Evil." I like idea of the first film when aliens attack and a young bunch of thugs in London are not having it. And then the idea of Tucker and Dale--two hicks being mistaken for killers by your usual assortment of teenagers that usually die in horror flicks--actually made me laugh out loud. I hope the best parts weren't in the trailers.
    I can say that Tucker and Dale was terrific! The whole movie was funny, not just what was in the trailer.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    saw the trailer for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo when I went to see Anonymous. Can't wait until 12-21-11!
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Four movies I've seen recently (from best to...least best - I liked them all):

The Haunting In Connecticut - I had mixed feelings while watching this one as the central character is struggling with cancer...and the movie is a supernatural horror drama. Very strange to have sort of two different themes happening at the same time. But it worked for me. Turns out the story the movie is based on is a big hoax, but that shouldn't come as a surprise. If you like this type of movie, I recommend it.

P.S. to Hollywood: Give Virginia Madsen more work, why don'tcha???

The Lincoln Lawyer - Two thumbs up, great story and what a cast: Matthew McConaughey, Marisa Tomei, Ryan Phillippe, William H. Macy, Josh Lucas, Michael Pena and Trace Adkins. Alas, there were no McConaughey/Phillippe kissing scenes. At least not on camera.

P.S. to Hollywood: Could you at least fine one movie where Marisa Tomei can be the lead? Also, never

Spoiler

9/11: Conspiracy Road Trip - BBC Three [Charlie Veitch]

You can watch the whole 60 minute documentary at that link, it's about a group of twenty-something Brits who think 9/11 is all about lies and set-ups. They are taken to various parts of the US and get to talk to experts, witnesses and family members who lost loved ones and we get to see if this changes their outlook or if they stay firm in their (dis-)beliefs.

Now Voyager (Bette Davis) - Schmaltzy at times, which is par for movies of that era (this one came out in 1942). Davis had to fight for this role, she ended up getting an Oscar nomination for best actress.

P.S. to Hollywood: HOW did you make Davis look like that in the early scenes???!!!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "The Descendants" last night. It's very good, and definite Oscar bait. It's kind of interesting to see Clooney playing so against type. I think the movie hit me personally on several levels because of personal issues I've had over the last 18 months with issues of both death and betrayal.

I haven't read the book it is based on, so I don't know if it ends similarly, but it felt a bit too much like "the circle is complete" to me.

Worst of all, it the movie made me want to hop a plane to Hawaii and get away from this cold, rainy November weather here in the Midwest.

The movie expands to about 400+ theatres (so wide limited release) on Wednesday 11/23.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So I'm the only one watching movies these days? Don't tell me the skating season has started already!!?? Movies I liked from best to worst:

The Damned United (Michael Sheen, Jim Broadbent, Timothy Spall and Colm Meaney) - I don't like competitive (team) sports, but durned if they don't keep making good movies about them! This one is so sharply written. And directed. And acted. And filmed. SEE IT NOW!!

She Done Him Wrong (Mae West, Cary Grant and Noah Beery) - I don't get it. How could Mae West have done what she did when she did it? I can't see someone being able to do what she did in the 50's, but she was doing it in the 30's. Backlash to more conservatism after WWII? She's so freaking amazing, I can't believe it. (By the way, the above link isn't a trailer, but a 10 minute section of the film (couldn't find a trailer).

Some lines I loved from this movie:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Frost/Nixon (Michael Sheen, Frank Langella, Kevin Bacon, Sam Rockwell, Oliver Platt and Toby Jones - Yup, it's been a Michael Sheen month. I thought this movie was good, but not quite great. Kind of a slow burner...

Two Lovers (Joaquin Phoenix, Gwyneth Paltrow, Isabella Rossellini) - Miserable people leading miserable lives. SKIP IT!!

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Am watching Super 8 and am a little bored, so I'm reading FSU at the same time.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    I finally watched and enjoyed "Beginners" with Christopher Plummer who seems to just get better with age. I saw him on Oprah and he was a bit of a rascal and I couldn't believe I thought a guy that age was hot. But I did (and he was!)

vCash
    A friend and I went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday at BAM. There are no words to describe this. The whole thing is one bad 60s acid trip and the pacing is deadly dull. How did this mess ever become a cult classic?

vCash
    Saw Puss 'n Boots last weekend - it was alright, but that's all.

Fabulous movie called Sophie's Key at a special showing that I loved. Very thought provoking.

And I love Now Voyager - it's an old favourite that doesn't having me leaving the room for any scenes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Now Voyager (Bette Davis) - Schmaltzy at times, which is par for movies of that era (this one came out in 1942). Davis had to fight for this role, she ended up getting an Oscar nomination for best actress.

P.S. to Hollywood: HOW did you make Davis look like that in the early scenes???!!!
    It's a fine, surprisingly adult soaper that deals with adultery in a mature and matter-of-fact way. The ending was a little tough to take, but Bette was great in this, as was Gladys Cooper.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It's a fine, surprisingly adult soaper that deals with adultery in a mature and matter-of-fact way. The ending was a little tough to take, but Bette was great in this, as was Gladys Cooper.
    I was shocked that a movie at that time was making it's two leads heroes when both unashamedly entered into an adulterous relationship. It certainly dealth with this in a mature way, I would have thought something from that era would have been heavy-duty judgemental, like they both die in a car crash or something! I actually liked the ending in that the love story-fantasy ending of them running off together did not happen, but a more grounded ending occurred with them being friends and being two adults there to care for his daughter.

Gladys Cooper as Davis' mother seemed one-note to me, but I'm sure that's how the role was written (and how she was directed). She did well with the part, though. Had to check imdb.com to see which role she played, found out that Cooper played Mrs. Higgins in My Fair Lady and also had roles in Rebecca, The Bishop's Wife, Madame Bovary and The Secret Garden.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Am watching Super 8 and am a little bored, so I'm reading FSU at the same time.
    I really enjoyed Super 8 - we saw it in the theater this summer. It was loud and exciting, with just enough nostalgia. There were a few boring parts, though.

Just got back from seeing the new Muppet Movie - it was cute. The Muppet Theme song is an earbug, though. That was a really fun TV show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    The whole thing is one bad 60s acid trip and the pacing is deadly dull. How did this mess ever become a cult classic?
    I'm glad someone else thinks this too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    A friend and I went to see 2001: A Space Odyssey yesterday at BAM. There are no words to describe this. The whole thing is one bad 60s acid trip and the pacing is deadly dull. How did this mess ever become a cult classic?
    I remember seeing this years ago and feeling very bored. It's definitely an overhyped movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I was shocked that a movie at that time was making it's two leads heroes when both unashamedly entered into an adulterous relationship. It certainly dealth with this in a mature way, I would have thought something from that era would have been heavy-duty judgemental, like they both die in a car crash or something! I actually liked the ending in that the love story-fantasy ending of them running off together did not happen, but a more grounded ending occurred with them being friends and being two adults there to care for his daughter.

Gladys Cooper as Davis' mother seemed one-note to me, but I'm sure that's how the role was written (and how she was directed). She did well with the part, though. Had to check imdb.com to see which role she played, found out that Cooper played Mrs. Higgins in My Fair Lady and also had roles in Rebecca, The Bishop's Wife, Madame Bovary and The Secret Garden.
    Miss Cooper got her training on the London stage and was considered one of England's great beauties...who knew?

vCash
    Did anyone go to see any of the three children's movies which opened this weekend? If I had kids I would have gone to see Hugo but I could not bring myself to go. LOL So I saw Immortals again. According to Boxofficemojo the Twilight movie still remains number one. Too bad about that. I had hoped one of the family movies would unseat it but alas unfortunately that did not happen.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Miss Cooper got her training on the London stage and was considered one of England's great beauties...who knew?
    I love Gladys Cooper She and Dame Mae Whitty are two of my favorite character actresses and always add a lot to their movies.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast