View Poll Results: New Movies September to November - Which Might You Go See?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep 9 - Contagion (action thriller featuring half of Hollywood)

13 25.49%
  • Sep 16 - Straw Dogs (thriller with James Marsden, Alexander Skarsgård and Kate Bosworth)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 23 - Moneyball (sports drama with Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill and Philip Seymour Hoffman)

14 27.45%
  • Sep 30 - Dream House (thriller with Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts and Rachel Weisz)

10 19.61%
  • Sep 30 - Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (comedy horror with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine)

1 1.96%
  • Oct 14 - Footloose (Julianne Hough, Dennis Quaid, Andie MacDowell and Kenny Wormald)

9 17.65%
  • Oct 28 - In Time (thriller with Justin Timberlake, Cilliam Murphy, Amanda Seyfried, and Matt Bomer)

11 21.57%
  • Nov 4 - A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (comedy with Kal Penn, John Cho and Neil Patrick Harris)

2 3.92%
  • Nov 9 - J. Edgar (x with Leonardo DiCaprio, Armie Hammer, Naomi Watts, and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 11 - Immortals (action drama with Henry Cavill, Mickey Rourke, Frieda Pinto and Kellan Lutz)

12 23.53%
  • Nov 18 - The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (comedy with a bunch of unknowns…kidding!!!)

13 25.49%
  • Nov 23 - The Muppets (comedy with Jason Segal, Amy Adams and Judi Dench)

13 25.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    vCash
    I am so sick of robbery movies where the thieves are all really nice guys and the victims really bad. They get away with the girl/guy and the money. There have been sooo many of these things. Cannot ever imagine any force that can make me go see Tower Heist.

vCash
    I finally saw Rabbit Hole on DVD and loved it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I am so sick of robbery movies where the thieves are all really nice guys and the victims really bad. They get away with the girl/guy and the money. There have been sooo many of these things. Cannot ever imagine any force that can make me go see Tower Heist.
    But Tower Heist is about a rich guy who steals the workers pension money or something, right? And all they're trying to do is get back their own money?

I usually hate the type of movie you describe. They make me feel old and/or redneck ("just git a job, you loosers!!!").

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I finally saw Rabbit Hole on DVD and loved it.
    Me too. I definitely recommend it.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I saw Ides of March today. Interesting movie. Ryan Gosling is swoon worthy

I am not sure I understood the ending, or may be it was meant to be an open ended ending where you discuss what may happen next.

vCash
    I saw Ides of March today. Interesting movie. Ryan Gosling is swoon worthy

I am not sure I understood the ending, or may be it was meant to be an open ended ending where you discuss what may happen next.
    Well, I saw it as Person X's ambition knows no bounds, X wants to be king(president)-maker and blackmails Y when the opportunity arises to get what he wants - control in the Oval Office.

What was your take?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Well, I saw it as Person X's ambition knows no bounds, X wants to be king(president)-maker and blackmails Y when the opportunity arises to get what he wants - control in the Oval Office.

What was your take?
    Your read of the character is correct. X starts as a sincere, devoted, non-political guy, but in the end he becomes just like the others who are older and have played the game. He does not like playing the game, but once he is in it, he plays the same way.

SPOILERS (somewhat) ahead..................

In the end, when X is sitting there in the studio, I wondered if he was going to get back at M by exposing him, or was he going all the way to the White House, by helping him get elected.

Chances are the story about M cannot be a secret forever. At some point it's bound to come out and it could destroy his career. X seized the opportunity to further his own career by blackmailing, and succeeded, but will the media be fooled forever? How many politicians thought they can get away with anything, but in the end could not? Will that happen to M before the elections or after?

There are many questions to ask at the end. Sometimes I like open ended endings where there is no definite answer. Sometimes I wish they would just tell us what happened in the end. It's like the movie needs a sequel.

vCash
    Your read of the character is correct. X starts as a sincere, devoted, non-political guy, but in the end he becomes just like the others who are older and have played the game.
    Especially once he falls victim to one of their traps because of his inability to see the endgame at that moment. He's never going to let himself be in that position again.

I agree though that any number of things can happen down the line, just not at that moment, I think.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Has anyone seen Anonymous yet?
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Has anyone seen Anonymous yet?

Yes, I saw it and loved it. I love a good costume drama and I love a good political thriller. I just didn't take the claims too seriously; I belong in the Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare camp.

I did think some of the computer effects were jarring at times, but other than that I had high old time wallowing in this.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Good. I'm going to see it in 1/2 hour and thought it looked like something I would like but haven't seen much about it.
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I went to the opening night of the St. Louis International Film Festival tonight and saw the screening of 'The Artist.'

Charming, funny, dramatic, beautiful photography and lighting, and Jean DuJardin is destined for an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. I would be shocked if the film does not get a nod for Best Picture, Director, score, screenplay (yes, even though it is a "silent" movie), cinematography and costume and scenic design.

I believe the movie opens in limited release around Thanksgiving.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I heard about The Artist and want to see it too but today I am planning to see Immortals. Swords, sandals and cute guys in loin cloths. What more could you ask for?

vCash
    Saw Immortals today and it was pretty good for a cotton candy sword and sandal movie. I read a couple of reviews before going to see it and they were not glowing so my expectations were not high. Immortals proved to be a pleasant surprise and it is very much in the same vein as 300 so if you like that sort of thing, this could be the movie for you.

vCash
    Is Immortals gory? I felt 300 was somewhat. Is it similar in that respect?

I want to see J Edgar Hoover tomorrow. If anyone else has seen it, please post your thoughts.

vCash
    Yep it is but not quite as gory, however, messy and full of blood it it indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I went to the opening night of the St. Louis International Film Festival tonight and saw the screening of 'The Artist.'

Charming, funny, dramatic, beautiful photography and lighting, and Jean DuJardin is destined for an Oscar nomination for Best Actor. I would be shocked if the film does not get a nod for Best Picture, Director, score, screenplay (yes, even though it is a "silent" movie), cinematography and costume and scenic design.

I believe the movie opens in limited release around Thanksgiving.
    I hope "limited" includes D.C., and not just LA and NYC. It sounds really good!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Saw J Edgar Hoover, and have mixed feelings about it. It's directed by Clint Eastwood, and the cinematography was very remiscent of Invictus. I think Eastwood shoots on a different (older) version of film to get a more period feel. So while there is a certain ambience caught that way, to me it makes you feel like you are always watching a movie rather than being immersed in one. There's a certain detachment maintained throughout.

The movie goes back and forth between older events and more recent ones. But at times the movie jumped back and forth so quickly, it was harder to get into the storyline.

Wrt content, the movie spent a *lot* of time developing the theme of Hoover being gay and having a lover. At first the treatment was very subtle (and effective IMO), but then it just got very explicit and dwelt on it, and the impact to me was lost quite a bit. The movie covered some of the major foci of Hoover's work--the "Bolsheviks" in the 20's, organized crime in the 30's, kidnapping of Lindbergh's baby, and his focus on King and the civil rights movements in the 60's, but then completely ignored things like the McCarthy era. It seemed there was a decision to spend more time on the possible gay relationship than to cover the 40's and 50's, so there was this big historical gap in the movie which felt jarring and inexplicable.

DiCaprio I thought was amazing. Judi Densch was incredible too. There's one scene between the two dealing with homosexuality which was very powerful. I won't give it away, but it really left an impact.

Anyhow, the movie is long and sometimes felt a bit long. There were a lot of historical figures covered, and the performances of those characters were uneven at times. Nonetheless the scope of the movie was huge, and DiCaprio very successfully portrayed Hoover as a complex figure rather than a caricature.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I hope "limited" includes D.C., and not just LA and NYC. It sounds really good!
    I think it probably will just open in those markets first, but I am very sure it will do a quick expansion over the following weeks due to Golden Globe nods I am sure it will pick up, and perhaps some film critics awards.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw two other movies this weekend.

"J. Edgar" which I found well crafted (great sets, costumes) but over-all rather un-focused as to whether it wanted to be a love story or a political drama bio-pic. It doesn't really succeed very well on either platform.

Judi Dench was the most impressive member of the cast for me. (Not surprisingly). I thought Leonardo DeCaprio was okay in the title role, but I failed to see the intensity I think this characterization needed, and which would have made the film probably a lot stronger. (It's too bad Dustin Hoffman was too old for this role; I believe he might have made it sing.)

Sadly, the film doesn't really make you learn anything about the development of the FBI or Hoover that you probably haven't already heard or read previously. Therefore the film did not succeed for me.

The other movie I saw was "Shame," (which will be going out in limited release over the next few weeks) the psycho-drama about sexual addiction starring Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan and directed by British film maker Steve McQueen . Aside from the fearless performances of Fassbender and Mulligan, I found the film to be a complete and utter hot mess.

The film relies almost solely on visuals (the film has virtually no dialogue, and much of the dialogue there is sounds mostly improvised) to take us on a journey of Fassbender's spiraling descent, apparently set off by the arrival of his sister (Mulligan) on his door-step. Obviously they have some kind of dark, complex past, but the filmmakers feel no need for explanation, back story, indeed hardly any dialogue to flesh the characters out.

Indeed, for me, the film's fatal flaw is that it pretends it wants you to not judge the lead for his behaviour but just sit and observe him and then come to your own conclusion, but at the same time presents his world in a dystopian fashion. The entire stand-off/clinical presentation of the movie completely flies in the face of the film maker's utter condemation of his lead characters actions. Anti-heroes can be completely compelling (such as in "The Social Network"), when there is some flesh to the characters; in "Shame" you're left wondering why you should invest two hours of time with a character a filmmaker is too lazy to develop and obviously detests.
    Last edited by peibeck; 11-14-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: *erm, I can't spell first thing in the morning...*

vCash
    Immortals was #1 over the weekend followed by Jack & Jill and Puss in Boots.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast